GingerApple

Molotow Paint Mod

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, Andy-B said:

Posty dropped these off today.

Just need the loupe and the watch - my TD sent me a China Post tracking number so at least it's on its way.

Looking at the 1mm tip, I may have to trim it down to nearer 0.5mm to avoid the insert sides,

Sweet baby Jesus, you're really trying to take this to the next level!!! I just plaster the stuff on with a fat cotton bud! Wow. Can't wait to see the results.

Andy-B
6 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

Sweet baby Jesus, you're really trying to take this to the next level!!! I just plaster the stuff on with a fat cotton bud! Wow. Can't wait to see the results.

:thumbsup:

LargeMarge
59 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

you mean a Q=tip?

why not just use the market itself and wipe the excess?

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, LargeMarge said:

you mean a Q=tip?

why not just use the market itself and wipe the excess?

Yes.

I read that you get better results with paint mods by squeezing out a puddle of paint onto a piece of plastic, dipping the q tip into the puddle so it sucks up the paint, then stroking it onto the bezel with the q tip. It makes for a better application apparently, not that I've directly compared the two ways personally.

LargeMarge

Hm, thank you for the quick replies. too bad those pens are in the UK. ordered it off ebay a couple hours of seeing this thread today, gonna be a long wait

knol
On 07/01/2018 at 20:55, Gingerbubba said:

Before RWI went down, I read an excellent 'how to' thread from a member over there, whose name I'm afraid I can't recall, who'd decided to try a sharpie-esque paint mod. What he did differently though was use a different paint (Molotow 227HS metallic silver) and a different method; squeeze out a little puddle of paint and dip a cotton bud into that paint before painting onto the bezel. 

I thought I'd give it a go as he made it sound so easy and guess what - it is! Bear in mind I'm pretty much a noob, I'm not good at DIY type stuff in general and I've never tried to do anything to a watch apart from change/remove/resize straps. The watch I'm modding is my Noob v7 Sub with all the normal bezel issues that go with it.

The point of this thread is to basically to urge people to give this type of mod a go if you so wish - you can't really fuck it up.  If you do a terrible job, the paint easily wipes of the bezel/crystal with a second cotton bud dipped in methylated spirit (ie, alcohol).

I've taken a couple of pics so people can see the pen and my efforts. Pen first: 

21b62a0.jpg

29mav6v.jpg

27x04z9.jpg

First coat going on (I did a few) 

212c0v5.jpg

After a couple of coats, not yet cleaned properly etc

f29ggi.jpg

Next to my ARF Sea-dweller

2s9upev.jpg

2vs2gbo.jpg

So it's far from perfect, nor indeed is it finished yet - another coat and then a proper cleaning is needed - but it's a cheap, easy mod that's fun to do. The pen cost about £5 delivered in the UK fyi.

very cool mod, how long would it last before one has to repaint you think. In another forum someone said about 3 weeks for the sharpie mod. 

narikaa

Lots more I should imagine

Sharpie is a pen delivering marker ink

the above is more akin to paint ;)

Though I see on other threads you can get a quasi-platinum application done for a jaw-dropping 80 euroscopes

Which, if you are willing to do, you know in your heart that you should really be putting that money towards your psychiatric help costs

Ryano

Hi guys, some pics of my freshly ‘Molotow modded’ Sub-C (Noob v7).
11390eaa0165018d58d0186a7ca6e35f.jpgee88230e82e7dd04a3b8358c591fe065.jpg47b2458bb016805a0c842a00a239e2d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, some pics of my freshly ‘Molotow modded’ Sub-C (Noob v7).
11390eaa0165018d58d0186a7ca6e35f.jpgee88230e82e7dd04a3b8358c591fe065.jpg47b2458bb016805a0c842a00a239e2d2.jpg

This is a before shot. Lighting is different, but should give an idea of the change.

a7636376b9d0b93abb2f8697f0ed449a.jpg

Knifenut

I’m so doing this this weekend. Good stuff, thanks for all the sharing guys!

Ryano
I’m so doing this this weekend. Good stuff, thanks for all the sharing guys!

No problems. Hopefully you get the result you are after. It’s really very easy.

LargeMarge

man, i hate companies who used smart post. gonna be over a week to receive a pen.

Knifenut

Finally worked on mine a bit. Definitely an easy process, I think I may put one or two more coats on at a later time to even it up a bit. 

The before:

DA9027_B5-_FDED-4544-9_DC3-50669855_B122BAB90_F4_F-_E8_B6-4_D6_B-9_B9_F-5_DD111_

And after:

16_CD613_C-_D6_F9-4986-_B23_C-17747_D68_3_E598_EA7-42_AF-49_A9-_B6_F2-_E391662_F

Ryano
Finally worked on mine a bit. Definitely an easy process, I think I may put one or two more coats on at a later time to even it up a bit. 

The before:
DA9027_B5-_FDED-4544-9_DC3-50669855_B122.jpgBAB90_F4_F-_E8_B6-4_D6_B-9_B9_F-5_DD111_ABBB9_B.jpg

And after:

16_CD613_C-_D6_F9-4986-_B23_C-17747_D68_C44_B.jpg3_E598_EA7-42_AF-49_A9-_B6_F2-_E391662_F6770.jpg

Looks good mate, big improvement!!

LargeMarge

Just did the paint job. jesus what a difference...

ill have some pictures later

Andy-B

GUTTED!!!  

Spent all that cash on pens and nibs and stuff only for my watch to arrive and.....

NOT NEED THE PAINT JOB !!!

:thumbsup:

j8p4yc.jpg

This is the Submariner (No date) V7 from Noob.

(Apologies for quality of image)

Automotiveromance

Did it to my Noob V7 DSSD D-Blue and I’m amazed at just how much of a difference it made.

Before in full on daylight:

352q7tg.jpg

After, in dusk:

30m7tli.jpg

After, in very low lighting:

2z8nuxg.jpg

Look at how before, in full daylight, the numbers are flat and dark grey. And after, even in very low light conditions, the numbers are much more legible.

It’s so easy and cheap to do, yet sorts so much effect. I’m very glad I tried it.

Enzedel

Where can i buy this marker?

Thanks!!!

Enzedel
On 1/7/2018 at 08:55, Gingerbubba said:

Before RWI went down, I read an excellent 'how to' thread from a member over there, whose name I'm afraid I can't recall, who'd decided to try a sharpie-esque paint mod. What he did differently though was use a different paint (Molotow 227HS metallic silver) and a different method; squeeze out a little puddle of paint and dip a cotton bud into that paint before painting onto the bezel. 

I thought I'd give it a go as he made it sound so easy and guess what - it is! Bear in mind I'm pretty much a noob, I'm not good at DIY type stuff in general and I've never tried to do anything to a watch apart from change/remove/resize straps. The watch I'm modding is my Noob v7 Sub with all the normal bezel issues that go with it.

2s9upev.jpg

2vs2gbo.jpg

The Rolex is spelled wrong on the rehaut at the 4 minute mark on the left watch ????

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Enzedel said:

The Rolex is spelled wrong on the rehaut at the 4 minute mark on the left watch ????

Lol, that's hilarious!!!! I totally agree with you, it does look like it's wrong; the 'E' looks back to front. But it just goes to show how misleading photos can be, because I've just checked and that watch is NOT like that in real life. In real life it's perfect!

I guess it's just a weird trick of the light! Bizarre!!!!

LargeMarge

How do you guys clean up around the 12 marker with the pearl? its so small and tight i cant get around to cleaning it without posdibly ruining the paint job

GingerApple

I used a very fine, pointed cotton bud/q tip that's designed for make up application/removal. I dipped it in methylated spirit, rolled it between my fingers to get rid of most of the meths and to make it even finer, then just used that.

Luxuracer
8 minutes ago, LargeMarge said:

How do you guys clean up around the 12 marker with the pearl? its so small and tight i cant get around to cleaning it without posdibly ruining the paint job

Ship it to the fuckweasel @Gingerbubba .... He will do it for you.

Automotiveromance
8 hours ago, LargeMarge said:

I just let the paint fully dry before cleaning and used a dry q-tip to wipe away the excess on the ceramic. Then for the tough spots, a microfiber cloth (like you use on eyeglasses), wrapped around my finger so I can use my fingernail with the cloth over it to wipe the sides of the pearl and even the part between crystal and bezel insert. Works like a charm, very easy.

jsmm
9 hours ago, Gingerbubba said:

I used a very fine, pointed cotton bud/q tip that's designed for make up application/removal. I dipped it in methylated spirit, rolled it between my fingers to get rid of most of the meths and to make it even finer, then just used that.

tried and tested :Applause:

Retrouk

Has any one used the gold sharpie pen ? as the gold reps numbers look really yellow and puts me off getting one.