GingerApple

Molotow Paint Mod

0x9

May i ask you guys, which color you prefer?

There are two different silverish Molotow Markers:

1. Liquid Chrome

2. metallic silver

i alread tried the sharpie mod, but tbh it isnt as great as i exspected.

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, 0x9 said:

May i ask you guys, which color you prefer?

There are two different silverish Molotow Markers:

1. Liquid Chrome

2. metallic silver

i alread tried the sharpie mod, but tbh it isnt as great as i exspected.

Metallic silver is the one I've always used:

Molotow 227HS metallic silver

Ziggymarly

To be honest this mod is decent but doesnt last long at all in my experience so is very temporary

0x9
1 hour ago, GingerBlubba said:

Metallic silver is the one I've always used:

Molotow 227HS metallic silver

Thanks! Then ill try that one. Hopefully its on Amazon ^^ Ill report back later with this mod applied on my 114060!

Glaude
6 hours ago, Ziggymarly said:

is decent but doesnt last long at all

Story of GB life ! :lol: 

GingerApple
2 hours ago, Glaude said:

Story of GB life ! :lol: 

I'm not decent.

Glaude
1 minute ago, GingerBlubba said:

I'm not decent.

You don't last long either, I was being kind...

tankcom78

Is this when the mod proves necessary? Got an ARF SD43 and a few weeks ago and the “10” and surrounding indices aren’t looking as uniform. d5656a544ead115ca0b858078b99dfb0.jpg

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, tankcom78 said:

Is this when the mod proves necessary? Got an ARF SD43 and a few weeks ago and the “10” and surrounding indices aren’t looking as uniform. d5656a544ead115ca0b858078b99dfb0.jpg

Ouch. Is that new? Normally that's the sort of stuff you'd look for in QC as that appears to be a fault with that specific watch. Those ARF don't normally need modding because they're really good OTB, but because that one is screwed, I would try and paint it.

Normally the paint mods are for those watches where the bezel colour is uniformly rubbish out of the box - the wrong shade etc.

tankcom78

It was minty out of the box and is a BK to boot. I’m gonna barf!

GingerApple

Stupid question, but is it definitely the paint/whatever coming off? Not just dirt?

Might be worth contacting BK for his advice perhaps? The paint mod should sort it in the end though.

tankcom78

I thought the same thing at first, just ordered the paint mod on amazon for tomorrow. I won’t bother BK with it, I feel like a pia being that it isn’t something he alters with his process to begin with.
Hopefully the paint mod looks uniform since it’s spotty, update to come. Thanks Ginger

tankcom78

Molotow 127HS-CO did the trick I believe.
I just touched up from indices 6-11 and left the rest alone. I feel like it matches dead on in person.

Also took the cyclops off bc I friggin hated it. I’m not concerned with passing it off as gen or anything, just the look for my own enjoyment.
No residue underneath a razor and a lighter couldn’t resolve. 2-3 rounds of 3 to 5 seconds each then it popped right off.

Love the site for these types of user friendly mods, thanks for all those that share this info!

932339d6bac8385ac675cab5b5e65c83.jpg

Edited by tankcom78

GingerApple

Good work dude, looks great! First one I've seen with the Cyclops off. Thanks for the pic, I like it!

Nikosaldente
On 02/11/2018 at 20:30, tankcom78 said:

Molotow 127HS-CO did the trick I believe.
I just touched up from indices 6-11 and left the rest alone. I feel like it matches dead on in person.

Also took the cyclops off bc I friggin hated it. I’m not concerned with passing it off as gen or anything, just the look for my own enjoyment.
No residue underneath a razor and a lighter couldn’t resolve. 2-3 rounds of 3 to 5 seconds each then it popped right off.

Love the site for these types of user friendly mods, thanks for all those that share this info!

932339d6bac8385ac675cab5b5e65c83.jpg

The look without the cyclops is fabulous!

It was the main reason I sold mine....

Nice work!

Beefmalone
On 07/01/2018 at 07:55, AskGinger said:

Before RWI went down, I read an excellent 'how to' thread from a member over there, whose name I'm afraid I can't recall, who'd decided to try a sharpie-esque paint mod. What he did differently though was use a different paint (Molotow 227HS metallic silver) and a different method; squeeze out a little puddle of paint and dip a cotton bud into that paint before painting onto the bezel. 

I thought I'd give it a go as he made it sound so easy and guess what - it is! Bear in mind I'm pretty much a noob, I'm not good at DIY type stuff in general and I've never tried to do anything to a watch apart from change/remove/resize straps. The watch I'm modding is my Noob v7 Sub with all the normal bezel issues that go with it.

The point of this thread is to basically to urge people to give this type of mod a go if you so wish - you can't really fuck it up.  If you do a terrible job, the paint easily wipes of the bezel/crystal with a second cotton bud dipped in methylated spirit (ie, alcohol).

I've taken a couple of pics so people can see the pen and my efforts. Pen first: 

21b62a0.jpg

29mav6v.jpg

27x04z9.jpg

First coat going on (I did a few) 

212c0v5.jpg

After a couple of coats, not yet cleaned properly etc

f29ggi.jpg

Next to my ARF Sea-dweller

2s9upev.jpg

2vs2gbo.jpg

So it's far from perfect, nor indeed is it finished yet - another coat and then a proper cleaning is needed - but it's a cheap, easy mod that's fun to do. The pen cost about £5 delivered in the UK fyi.

any chance of reupping the pics? would love to see them. thanks

GingerApple
5 hours ago, Beefmalone said:

any chance of reupping the pics? would love to see them. thanks

Sorry, they'relong since deleted i afraid. If I do another one, I'll try and take new pics. But honestly, it's so easy, you can't go wrong.

the_name_is_mac

Recently carried out my own attempt and it worked brilliantly although not sure if metallic silver is right for the ym2 so as soon as I find out if it is the right one or not I will update. For now though I am very happy indeed it looks amazing!

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, the_name_is_mac said:

Recently carried out my own attempt and it worked brilliantly although not sure if metallic silver is right for the ym2 so as soon as I find out if it is the right one or not I will update. For now though I am very happy indeed it looks amazing!

Perfect timing! They're pretty similar to my pics anyway, thanks for sharing.