Dusk

JohnnyDepp ARF DJ 36mm FRANKEN

trendconcept
4 hours ago, Genius said:

God no get the ARF and get that thing fitted!

The only sin is having that dial and keeping it locked in a parts drawer.

Period correct or not fuck that you can't ever sell it as gen so build what you like and wear it for your own enjoyment!

3 hours ago, Dusk said:

I agree with this gentleman. That dial is too good not to put into a build. Gorgeous!

2 hours ago, PekeloB said:

Really nice dial, a waste to keep it locked up.

Thanks for the feedback Gentleman. I appreciate it. You are really right. Now I'm convinced too. So I'll order a ARF immediately and will present the result later.

BabaNJ
18 hours ago, trendconcept said:

Entirely my opinion.

I have a question about DJ frankening; and hopefully I will not be lynched now. I own a beautiful Ivory Arabic dial. This would actually belong in a Datejust 16234 . However, the differences to the newer Datejust 116234 are minimal (116234 has the polished case, improved SEL, new clasp and larger lugs).

--> Would it be bad / a sin to put the ivory dial into a 116234?

I'm aware that it's not period correct. But the result would probably be more beautiful than with a Yuki/Raffles case. And a period correct Phong case is just too expensive in my opinion. Especially if there is such a nice alternative from ARF.

What are your opinions on this topic?

Oh, almost forgot, here are a few pictures of the dial:

s-l1600_2.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l1600_3.jpg

That dial belongs in a gen beauty like this :)

IMG_20171219_124901.jpg

IMG_20171219_125052.jpg

IMG_20171219_125111.jpg

trendconcept
2 hours ago, BabaNJ said:

That dial belongs in a gen beauty like this :)

IMG_20171219_124901.jpg

IMG_20171219_125052.jpg

IMG_20171219_125111.jpg

Oh wow, that would be perfect. For sale? If so, you can write me a PM :drool:

PekeloB

Yep, that would make one beautiful watch 

BabaNJ
14 hours ago, trendconcept said:

Oh wow, that would be perfect. For sale? If so, you can write me a PM :drool:

I am waiting for a particular gen dial for this case from someone i was in talks on rwi before it went down and haven't been able to get in touch with him . I am gona give it another few weeks and then decide if i want to keep it or sell. 

trendconcept
3 hours ago, BabaNJ said:

I am waiting for a particular gen dial for this case from someone i was in talks on rwi before it went down and haven't been able to get in touch with him . I am gona give it another few weeks and then decide if i want to keep it or sell. 

Oh, I understand. If you should not finish your project, feel free to contact me.

markmarky

I own similar one and there's no need to go gen after gen dial and DW. It even has bracelet brushed to look like gen.

9w4aO09.jpg

Edited by markmarky

Dusk
16 minutes ago, markmarky said:

I own similar one and there's no need to go gen after gen dial and DW. It even has bracelet brushed to look like gen.

9w4aO09.jpg

Stunning! My original ARF dial was white i swapped it out for a silver one as one came up at the right time.  Great looking watch mate

trendconcept
6 hours ago, Dusk said:

Stunning! My original ARF dial was white i swapped it out for a silver one as one came up at the right time.  Great looking watch mate

I have a similar project on the run. Just before Christmas I bought a rhodium roman dial and gen hands. I also ordered a matching ARF 116234 at Chazingtime. Now all I need is a gen DW and  crystal. Or does Johnny Depp procure this parts himself?

This is my rhodium dial with the gen hands:

s-l1600.jpg

And this is how the result should look like:

dsc09951_zps6qgkq1dh.jpg

Dusk
22 minutes ago, trendconcept said:

I have a similar project on the run. Just before Christmas I bought a rhodium roman dial and gen hands. I also ordered a matching ARF 116234 at Chazingtime. Now all I need is a gen DW and  crystal. Or does Johnny Depp procure this parts himself?

This is my rhodium dial with the gen hands:

s-l1600.jpg

And this is how the result should look like:

dsc09951_zps6qgkq1dh.jpg

Dial is epic bud. JD just builds although I'm sure he can lay his hands on parts...

trendconcept
10 minutes ago, Dusk said:

Dial is epic bud. JD just builds although I'm sure he can lay his hands on parts...

Thank you  :)  I can not wait to wear the frankened watch on my wrist. 

Oh, good to know. I'll ask JD if he has better access to gen parts.

Dusk
2 minutes ago, trendconcept said:

Thank you  :)  I can not wait to wear the frankened watch on my wrist. 

Oh, good to know. I'll ask JD if he has better access to gen parts.

Seeking out the parts is kind of fun though.

Good luck with it 

BabaNJ
1 hour ago, Dusk said:

Seeking out the parts is kind of fun though.

Good luck with it 

Yup it was thrill of finding something and finally getting it in your hand. In last 2 months i am like $2k in parts only and not one single complete watch lol. This is another whole set of gen 16014 i found only thing aftermarket is gona be movment, clasp and hands. 

IMG_20180102_185015.jpg

LiZnoGouD

Really nice :)

Dusk
27 minutes ago, BabaNJ said:

Yup it was thrill of finding something and finally getting it in your hand. In last 2 months i am like $2k in parts only and not one single complete watch lol. This is another whole set of gen 16014 i found only thing aftermarket is gona be movment, clasp and hands. 

IMG_20180102_185015.jpg

This is such a buzz I understand it now. That linen dial is killer keep us all posted on this build! :)

trendconcept
20 minutes ago, BabaNJ said:

IMG_20180102_185015.jpg

Love it! This Datejust will be a star.

But... 2 months / $2k... hmmm I'm just not patient enough. I might throw my 16234 Ivory dial in an ARF anyway. It's not period correct but it's less expensive yet super nice.

BabaNJ
14 minutes ago, trendconcept said:

But... 2 months / $2k... hmmm I'm just not patient enough. I might throw my 16234 Ivory dial in an ARF anyway. It's not period correct but it's less expensive yet super nice.

It is a addiction tell you. If my wife finds this out i am dead lol 

trendconcept
12 hours ago, BabaNJ said:

It is a addiction tell you. If my wife finds this out i am dead lol 

:giggle: 

I also noticed the addictive potential of this hobby.

lpl

Didn't bother with a Gen Dial, making this watch at 8.3% the cost of gen. Truly a beauty.

- Gen Roulette

-Service

t6mkmKS.jpg

Dusk
5 minutes ago, lpl said:

Didn't bother with a Gen Dial, making this watch at 8.3% the cost of gen. Truly a beauty.

- Gen Roulette

-Service

t6mkmKS.jpg

Looks great bud! Wear it well

Porcino

Fantastic built

trendconcept
On 12.1.2018 at 14:32, lpl said:

- Gen Roulette

-Service

t6mkmKS.jpg

The ARF Datejust w/ blue stick dial looks good and I like the combo with the roulette DW. But I wanted a roman dial. Unfortunately, the ARF roman dial looks horrible, especially in comparison to the gen dial.  To illustrate I made a comparison picture:

comparison_gen_rep_roman_dial.png

trendconcept

Now a question for the Rolex / Datejust experts: Which gen DW do I need for my franken project? In other words, which is the correct reference number?

I have some spare gen DW with the Ref. B3135-16200-K1 (pics below; I normally use them for frankening my 16610 Subs). Would this DW fit in / be period correct for my ARF Datejust 116234?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

20180114_144352.jpg

trendconcept

Where are all the experts hiding? Please help a stupid little newbie like me  :woo:

OmegaT

Look amazing