Sign in to follow this  
jigsaw

Nautilus blue dial with SS bracelet - MBK or Cartel ?

jigsaw

I've convinced myself to get a Nautilus rep. I really want the 5712/A as I like complicated watches, but until I can afford the gen (maybe in two years when my alimony is finished, if ever) the 5711/A will be a nice place holder in my watch box. I like its design, and it will be the only Patek in my collection. I already have a lot of other watches with leather or rubber straps and definitely want the all stainless steel version.

So... Joshua, Andrew, and Angus now have the blue dial SS version with bracelet. It's $398 with a well replicated dial, properly placed date window, and decent date font. The MBK version (from Narikaa) runs about $60-80 more because of a lousy exchange rate and higher shipping cost. From the photos it seems to have a superior brushed stainless steel finish - I did read the other thread saying the bracelet is better. But the dial and date window on the MBK are incorrect though granted few will know the difference and I won't be trying to pass it off as a gen anyway. The other difference is the caseback, which is windowed on the cartel (with the nice but obviously incorrect movement) and solid on the MBK (hiding the incorrect movement).

Having one of each would potentially make for an interesting franken project - dial and movement of the cartel watch with the case and bracelet of the MBK. I don't suppose anyone has done such a franken project, or know if it is possible ? It would be a big investment and the lesser creation (i.e. cartel case and bracelet with MBK dial/movement) wouldn't be so appealing for resale.

Here is the link to the cartel version, at Puretime:

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/nauti...-edition-sw200/

There are lots of photos of the MBK on another thread in this subforum.

Trying to judge the quality of the steel finish in photos is difficult given differences in lighting, technique, post-processing, etc. Anyone have the luxury of comparing them side by side ? Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Edited by jigsaw

Member X

Hmm, that's an interesting idea...

It certainly would require a lot if investment (!!) and I doubt it will be as simple as it seems in theory - these things never are! :D

If you're not going to try to pass it off as gen then, for me, I would go with the MBK. Superior finish on the dial and case mean that the bits people will see most of will look better, and the closed caseback means that there are no issues with the movement 'giving it away' if you are just remaining coy when showing it to someone ;) DW placement and the squares round the edge (that should be dots on the non-complication dial) are the main issues with the vignette dial of the MBK but I think narikaa can also get a solid-colour dial that has the correct dots.

Neither solution is perfect, sadly, so it will be up to you to decide which flaws you can live with and which won't bother you! :)

solaris609

where can yo find the MBK?

Edited by solaris609