darnol91

Winder recommendations for a noob

darnol91

Now that I'm just getting into my first rep's, but I switch them around with some cheaper gen leather watches (Daniel Wellington, Movado, etc.) I'm in need of a winder, and I figured I'd reach out to yall. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg, so I looked on Amazon and Aliexpress. I know AE is looked down upon on here, but I figured most of the stuff on Amazon I found would be coming from there anyways. Do yall have any suggestions? Ill post some links below, if ya'll want to let me know if they are worth it or not, as well as throwing in some suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a four watch winder, and I really like the one from AE that is a four watch winder, along with a holder for 6 others. Let me know what yall think.

watch winder 1 - 4 winders, 10 watches total AE

Watch winder 2 - 2 winders AE

watch winder 3 - 4 winders AE

watch winder 4 - Two winders, wood - AE

watch winder 5 - 4 winders, 10 watches total, wood - AE

watch winder 6 - single winder - Amazon

watch winder 7 - 4 winders - amazon

watch winder 8 - 4 winders, 10 total. Looks to be the same one from AE. - Amazon

Glaude

Do you want a winder for the look or because you change watch regularly and you don't want to have to set them each time ? (Both are fine).

You are right that most of the stuff you'll see on Amazon for cheap or relatively cheap, come from an even cheaper Aliexpress source but without the Amazon guarantee on it.

darnol91

I want it because I change watches regularly.

RepGuy

Winders can wear out the movement faster than most would like. I suggest skipping the winder and manually setting each watch when you wear them. I also rotate watches almost daily and do this myself with minimal time

Glaude

Watch winders looks cool but I do the same as RG, I quite enjoy setting the time on my watches when I change.

I don't really want to put unnecessary strain on the movement.

Be aware that some of the cheap winders can have a noisy motor, the main advantage of Amazon is that if you're not satisfied with the noise, you can send it back.

Munster87

Why would a watch winder put unnecessary strain on a movement or wear it out faster??

Surely a watch winder is just carrying out the same job as if the watch was on your wrist i.e. keeping the watch power reserve to its most efficient level?

Most decent watch winders come with the ability to set the frequency of when you want the rotation to start and for how long.

Most good automatic movements have a decent power reserve, 1-2 days so setting your winder to operate once or twice a day for a suitable time should be sufficient.

So unless (as some have suggested) people enjoy the process of resetting the watch every time they wear it (that is not a criticism!) then I cannot see the disadvantage of a watch winder?

Glaude
1 hour ago, Munster87 said:

Why would a watch winder put unnecessary strain on a movement or wear it out faster??

Surely a watch winder is just carrying out the same job as if the watch was on your wrist i.e. keeping the watch power reserve to its most efficient level?

Most decent watch winders come with the ability to set the frequency of when you want the rotation to start and for how long.

Most good automatic movements have a decent power reserve, 1-2 days so setting your winder to operate once or twice a day for a suitable time should be sufficient.

So unless (as some have suggested) people enjoy the process of resetting the watch every time they wear it (that is not a criticism!) then I cannot see the disadvantage of a watch winder?

It's not hard to understand : If you don't wear your watch and let them die : you don't mechanically use the movement and its parts.
There's indeed no real difference if you leave your watch in a winder or if you wear it on your wrist for the same period of time. That's why there's not a big "No no" on watch winder but it's always good to make sure that people know that they're not a necessity.

For me it would make no sense as I have a watch rotation that allow them to die peacefully before I use them again, putting them in winder would just make them run for no reason, hence using the movement unnecessary.

And most of the cheap winder only have a turn function with a switch to change the direction occasionally.

markmarky

I think just 2 watch winder is enough for me. That week, you can switch between that 2 watches and 1 extra on your hand,  so total 3 watches. That way, you can remove 3 watches per week and rotate your collection.

darnol91

Makes sense on wearing out the movement. I appreciate all the input everyone. I think I'll go for resetting it each time I wear. Thanks!