Almanis461

Gumtree in the UK

Almanis461

So my first proper post here is an angry one:pointlaugh:

I saw a thread on the prevalence of replicas being sold as gens on Gumtree. I had to look in my area. 

IT'S UNBELIEVABLE! Not a single genuine advert. Pictures are unnecessary. Submariners at £200 and Patek's even cheaper!!

Obviously, nobody who has any knowledge of these brands, will buy these.  BUT somebody could well buy these believing they are real and  years later stick them on ebay thinking they are real and get £Xk for them. How many of the blatant  replicas listed on ebay happen like this?

This is the email I sent to Gumtree: "

I've been browsing your site, of which I'm a huge fan, in search of high end watches.

I'm fully aware that this is product category full of fraud so my guard was, obviously, up.
what I wasn't excepting was the presence of blatant fraud. In fact, presence isn't the right word, It's omnipresent. There is an absence of legitimate listings in this category.

I'd cite examples but a simple search would provide you hundreds. This could be resolved by a few moderators with little training and a passing interest in horology. It's shocking that this could happen. In fact, it is so unbelievable that one can only conclude you are happy to allow this to continue.

Adverts for Patek Philippe watches, worth £20k+, at £150 with no mention of fake, replica or imitation in the description. This could be solved by a simple algorithm written by an A-Level computing student.

This negligence leads me to conclude that you are COMPLICIT in selling counterfeit goods.

This market, of which I was a huge fan, is now one I will avoid.

I anticipate your response."

this could be an interesting conversation; How many of those selling fake watches as gen know they are doing so?

Almanis461

I must add, I have no problem with replicas if they are sold as such. There is as much beauty in a brilliant replica as beautiful original.  

If not more?

Rx4Time

Links to adds?

Almanis461
Almanis461

We can all look at these adverts and laugh. Some will see them as a bargain and jump at the opportunity.

seanjames

From my understanding

If you list replicas on gumtree as replicas the advert gets kicked off, if anyone thinks they are getting a gen for £150 then they are either:-

a. Stupid and not done any research

b. Thinking this guy selling their Patek etc for £150 doesn't know what he has so I'm going to rip him off and steal a 5k watch for £150

SteveA

A bit bemused that a guy that buys replicas complains that a site is selling replicas!

danza

narikaa

Is it only me that all this crusading is lost on

How is it that people who pursue the illicit and illegal, & who howl like babies if legalities bite them in this pursuit

persist yet in baying at the moon for ever more control.

I'm quite sure that Gumtree fulfils it's purpose. Not only as a conduit to move on that bicycle you never used, but as a focus for those that know no better to get their easy fix of Louis Vuitton bags and moody kettles for the upcoming weekend's piss-up.

Was a time before eBay's dominance when old timers on these forums will recall that several action sites were actually a backbone of the Rep trade - until 'crusaders' had their way.

BlackjackWQ
15 minutes ago, narikaa said:

How is it that people who pursue the illicit and illegal, & who howl like babies if legalities bite them in this pursuit

I'm quite sure that Gumtree fulfils it's purpose. Not only as a conduit to move on that bicycle you never used, but as a focus for those that know no better to get their easy fix of Louis Vuitton bags and moody kettles for the upcoming weekend's piss-up.

Was a time before eBay's dominance when old timers on these forums will recall that several action sites were actually a backbone of the Rep trade - until 'crusaders' had their way.

Don't be ridiculous!!! It's IMMORAL that they are selling these replica watches on gumtree! How disgusting of gumtree to let this happen. The fact I can't search for my favourite ladyboy hooker on gumtree without being bombarded with replicas is disgusting. 

Now, buying replica watches from China is moral and because I purchase all my watches through Uncle Ji Xingping from Guangzhou I have the moral obligation to report these disgusting posts to gumtree, it sickens me that gumtree would allow their platform to be tainted by these disgusting adverts.

Chiquita Fanjita
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

A bit bemused that a guy that buys replicas complains that a site is selling replicas!

+1

47 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Its not just you Reg.  Agree with you there mate.

Genius
9 hours ago, Almanis461 said:

This one looks to be a pretty good deal,  looks very similar to the equivalent regmariner around the same price but comes with a decent looking rolex box and the guy will even hand deliver and resize the bracelet for you

9 hours ago, Almanis461 said:

Again not my style but looks decent for the money, and the ability to collect in person so you can inspect the thing prior to handing over your money is worth having on a full pave watch