Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

111 from PWC/T4D

AllergyDoc

The watch head is off to Rex for his "Spring Special": Superlume, cleaning and regulating the movement, polish the case (didn't really need that) and fix the crooked crystal.

sconehead

Right Doc/Greg, I'm going to get one of these off Robert on rubber, do you think it's worth paying for an upgraded movement with the cannon pin mod and swan neck on this particular watch...I'm a Pam novice and need your advice...It'll cost me an extra $70...

greg_r

Scone - it really depends on how particular you are. I've got PAMs with the swan-neck and flush cannon pin and some without. I like all of 'em (nobody other than the wearer will ever see the swan-neck reg), but I'll confess that at that small a difference in price, I'd go for the upgraded version.

sconehead

I was leaning that way Greg, you've just helped me decide...thanks for the input, I'm getting it on rubber as everyone seems to ditch the rep leather and replace it with a Panatime or HK strap anyway...

greg_r
I was leaning that way Greg, you've just helped me decide...thanks for the input, I'm getting it on rubber as everyone seems to ditch the rep leather and replace it with a Panatime or HK strap anyway...

I have a gen rubber strap, which looks kinda cool but I've only ever had it on the watch maybe twice. These days, my 111h is on a bracelet which suits it beautifully. If you're thinking of buying a good leather strap, though, think about StrapCulture too :D

sconehead

How much was the gen rubber? If I like the rep strap and you don't use it maybe we could come to some arrangement...an all night pass to Schiphol public toilets with Onze as your chaperone perhaps??? :D

Seriously though, which strap supplier has the best deal price v quality and how much will a decent one run me?

trailboss99

What do you want SH? There are soooooo many straps for Pams. If you can't find something from one of the strap dealers/makers on RWI have one of them make a special for you. One thing I have learned is that a good strap for a Pam costs as much or more than a average rep and that's that.

Col.

greg_r
How much was the gen rubber? If I like the rep strap and you don't use it maybe we could come to some arrangement...an all night pass to Schiphol public toilets with Onze as your chaperone perhaps??? :P

Seriously though, which strap supplier has the best deal price v quality and how much will a decent one run me?

Well, despite your generous offer, I think I'm gonna hafta pass up on that one ;)

Seriously, though, I'm planning to pick up an arktos at some point and I figure that gen rubber might be favourite on one of those, so I'm gonna hang onto it for now.

List price for the rubber strap is about $150 if I recall correctly - fortunately I managed to pick up a new old stock example dating from about 2000 for $75 from an AD in the US last year (Watches247). They're sold out now, though. Actually, gen Panerai straps in general ain't that expensive by comparison with other brands - prices range from around $200 - $375 for leather.

As far as third-party straps go, I've bought from quite a few of the cheaper manufacturers. My Panatime strap ain't that great - to be honest, it's not really any bette than the rep strap I got with my 'Ultimate' 111h. It looks the part but isn't as soft as I'd like. I've also got a couple of BOB straps - both croco print. They're better than the panatime strap, but I'm still not 100% happy - frankly, the best PAM strap I have at the moment is the rep strap that came with my 233, which is soft as butter and incredibly comfortable. Looks the part, too.

It's fairly clear that I'm going to have to spend more to get a strap I'm really happy with. My next one will be from StrapCulture at around $100 - a friend has bought one quite recently and it's beautiful.

sconehead
How much was the gen rubber? If I like the rep strap and you don't use it maybe we could come to some arrangement...an all night pass to Schiphol public toilets with Onze as your chaperone perhaps??? ;)

Well, despite your generous offer, I think I'm gonna hafta pass up on that one ;)

Seriously, though, I'm planning to pick up an arktos at some point and I figure that gen rubber might be favourite on one of those, so I'm gonna hang onto it for now.

List price for the rubber strap is about $150 if I recall correctly - fortunately I managed to pick up a new old stock example dating from about 2000 for $75 from an AD in the US last year (Watches247). They're sold out now, though. Actually, gen Panerai straps in general ain't that expensive by comparison with other brands - prices range from around $200 - $375 for leather.

As far as third-party straps go, I've bought from quite a few of the cheaper manufacturers. My Panatime strap ain't that great - to be honest, it's not really any bette than the rep strap I got with my 'Ultimate' 111h. It looks the part but isn't as soft as I'd like. I've also got a couple of BOB straps - both croco print. They're better than the panatime strap, but I'm still not 100% happy - frankly, the best PAM strap I have at the moment is the rep strap that came with my 233, which is soft as butter and incredibly comfortable. Looks the part, too.

It's fairly clear that I'm going to have to spend more to get a strap I'm really happy with. My next one will be from StrapCulture at around $100 - a friend has bought one quite recently and it's beautiful.

You drive a hard bargain Greg...OK, MY FINAL OFFER... a night at Schipol with Onze and a weekend in JohnG's torture chamber with Ann off RWI, she mightn't have that far to travel... :P

greg_r

I am reminded of W.C. Fields' epitaph:

"On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia"

:P

sconehead

Just ordered the Pam off T4D with the upgraded movement and rubber strap, extremely good comms up to now, I'm impressed. Hope this Pam thing is all it's hyped up to be, regarding the strap, I just found someone from Onze's neck of the woods who looks good, http://www.landastraps.com/Site/Welcome.html and Dirk Grandy from the States here, http://www.watches24seven.com/gallery2/mai...mp;g2_itemId=54

See if I'm into the Pam first though at these prices...

AllergyDoc

The 111 I ordered wasn't the one with the upgrade options. It was the clearance model. I'm not sure there is a difference, but I can't find the one I bought in his forum anymore.

Anyone. Mine Rex finally sent mine back. It's currently lost in UPS-land but I hope to get it soon. It should be superlumed, serviced, and regulated. Rex said he fixed the cannon pin, too, but I've yet to confirm that. I still have my 127 to console me. :P

Edited by AllergyDoc

AllergyDoc

Sorry, Mendota. The one I ordered has disappeared.

Back from Rex, finally. No lume shot as I'm too lazy to find the tripod. On an HKTan gator strap--fabulous!

3580448338_5d49f2d4aa_o.jpg

3579636747_b2047748d8_o.jpg

3579636709_dc36a509f2_o.jpg

3579636653_89e5fe132c_o.jpg

Crystal is still crooked. Rex set he reset it so it must be a fault with the case. I try not to look.

3580448120_1280601350_o.jpg

It lumes like crazy! A beautiful watch on a stunning strap. I recommend both.

Luthier

Great watch and even better strap.

NFleischer

nice doc- can you pm me the info for rex? i want to send my 088 for service.

btw- i just got a strap culture strap for it and its literally like a belt. the buckle is huge.

sconehead
The 111 I ordered wasn't the one with the upgrade options. It was the clearance model. I'm not sure there is a difference, but I can't find the one I bought in his forum anymore.

Anyone. Mine Rex finally sent mine back. It's currently lost in UPS-land but I hope to get it soon. It should be superlumed, serviced, and regulated. Rex said he fixed the cannon pin, too, but I've yet to confirm that. I still have my 127 to console me. :lol:

This is the link I was given earlier in the thread Doc, http://www.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewt...p;sk=t&sd=a

is it the same as yours?

AllergyDoc

Sconehead: (Really: how did you come up with that name?) No.That wasn't the one. I'm not sure it makes any difference, though. Robert has pulled the thread for the watch I bought.

sconehead
Sconehead: (Really: how did you come up with that name?) No.That wasn't the one. I'm not sure it makes any difference, though. Robert has pulled the thread for the watch I bought.

Thanks for the info Doc, I've asked Robert for the same as you recieved but I doubt I'll be dissapointed with whatever he sends me (I asked for AR and decent lume)

Sconehead is a light-hearted but derogatory name you called people in Bootle, Liverpool, when I was a kid. I have made it my life's quest to spread it around all the towns in Liverpool and am now doing it to the world thru' cyberspace...

Anyone know where I can buy a decent leather strap in a reddy brown colour for a 7.5'' wrist at a decent price for my 111 when it arrives?

greg_r
Anyone know where I can buy a decent leather strap in a reddy brown colour for a 7.5'' wrist at a decent price for my 111 when it arrives?

Have a look at an ebay seller: antique_leatherstraps. I haven't tried him myself yet (planning to shortly), but he has some nice-looking straps for reasonable prices.

sconehead

Have a look at an ebay seller: antique_leatherstraps. I haven't tried him myself yet (planning to shortly), but he has some nice-looking straps for reasonable prices.

I read a thread on RWG.cc were someone described them as 'shoe leather' Greg, any others?

greg_r

hmm - he seems to have plenty of happy customers, but what the hell...

BOB is still decent for the price - just stay clear of the croco-print stuff. I have one and it ain't great. The vintage calf straps are quite nice, though.

www.waccex.de

Lots more strap dealers in the Trusted Dealer List btw.

P_Diddy

is the standard price $99 on this before the upgrades? :)

Right Doc/Greg, I'm going to get one of these off Robert on rubber, do you think it's worth paying for an upgraded movement with the cannon pin mod and swan neck on this particular watch...I'm a Pam novice and need your advice...It'll cost me an extra $70...

greg_r

Yep - I have the 113, which is basically the same watch with a white dial. Damned good for the money.

P_Diddy

just how curious:

what is the 'upgraded' movement and does this make the timekeeping more reliable?

What does the swan neck do?

is the cannon pin mod, a noticeable flaw on the rep?

don't know about others, but extra $70 compared to original standard price of $99 is about 70% of original price :)

Yep - I have the 113, which is basically the same watch with a white dial. Damned good for the money.

greg_r
just how curious:

what is the 'upgraded' movement and does this make the timekeeping more reliable?

What does the swan neck do?

is the cannon pin mod, a noticeable flaw on the rep?

don't know about others, but extra $70 compared to original standard price of $99 is about 70% of original price :)

1. The upgraded movement has the swan neck regulator

2. Nope, doesn't affect the timekeeping accuracy of the watch, just makes the movement more like the gen - it's simply the gadget that regulates the movement.

3. Yes, it's noticeable, but it depends on how fussed you are about accuracy to the gen. Both are good watches, the upgraded version is just that bit more convincing - it's a good compromise between a cheapie and buying one of the so-called 'Ultimate' models at around $300. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.