manodeoro

CLAPTON YACHMASTER

manodeoro

Some days ago, as I was watching some "old" videos of Clapton , I fell in love with a "something" on his wrist.
After some research on the web, a journey on RPR and a few hours on Illustrator ... I got the image shown below  :q5:

Next week-end I'll do a test on a white blank dial
If it works then I'll seriously think about going further because I definitely love that dial 
Of course I'll have to relocate everything, depending on the position of the subdials, but as the rough design is done it should be easy IMHO

01_-_COSMOGRAPH_YACHTMASTER.jpg

Edited by manodeoro

Bart Cordell

Nice work mate !
Curious to see how these tiny red chapters marks will be printed ;)

NCRich

Print several.  :lol:

SamsonAusKognito

Beautiful dial, I'm very curious to see the printed dial.

Have you  made something similiar before?

Daffy

Do you have a multi color pad printer?  I would love to see your setup for printing these.

Daffy

Let's see here.  You will have to print the green first with a bleed out, same with the red, and then the black last, so that it will cover all of the under print bleeds.  I used to be the graphic artist for a huge screen print shop, where we printed everything from small pad stuff (the smallest was on buttons and golf balls, up to 4'x8' signs for political campaigns and real estate signage.

manodeoro
24 minutes ago, Bart Cordell said:

Nice work mate !
Curious to see how these tiny red chapters marks will be printed ;)

Thanks Bart ... I'm really curious too :D

I have set up the thickness of the chapter ring lines from my 16800 Comex template so it should work.

In any case I'll do a few tests with various thicknesses to see which are the best and I'll probably add a "stain/soil" mask on some prints to simulate aging

14 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Print several.  :lol:

Hey buddy, you're welcome  ... How many  do you need ?

Think I could get an Alpha chrono or a cheap DHgate quartz PN to do a first test ... BTW ... do you know what's DHgate ? :D 

6 minutes ago, SamsonAusKognito said:

Beautiful dial, I'm very curious to see the printed dial.

Have you  made something similiar before?

Never Ever Ever ... just some  gilt dials, some BnW dials and of course my topical Burford A/6538 which is "in progress" at the moment (working on the custom bezel with a good friend who owns a lathe).

But I never tried to mod anything with recessed subdials so ... I'll just see what I can do

2 minutes ago, Daffy said:

Do you have a multi color pad printer?  I would love to see your setup for printing these.

I dont even have a pad printer ... just decal sheets and a good printer so it could "work" on the wrist but wont resist, alas, a close inspection

And my next tool purchase will definitely be a model engineering lathe ... pad printer will come next, or never.

NCRich

ST-19 dial spacing please.

Daffy
47 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

I dont even have a pad printer ... just decal sheets and a good printer so it could "work" on the wrist but wont resist, alas, a close inspection

And my next tool purchase will definitely be a model engineering lathe ... pad printer will come next, or never.

Are you working with a vector format on this?  Or raster?

manodeoro
11 minutes ago, Daffy said:

Are you working with a vector format on this?  Or raster?

Both ...

All lines, circles, geometric patterns and some font are designed directly in vector format with Illustrator.

Some fonts are designed in raster format using Photoshop at high def (5000 ppi) then vectorised in AI.

When everything is OK I export on tiff format with AI (so limited to 2400 ppi), open it with photoshop and save it at 4000 ppi, which is the "good" def for my printer.

I have sent a design to a dial maker once and he ask me ait format files.

manodeoro
On 31/01/2018 at 15:35, NCRich said:

ST-19 dial spacing please.

I'd be glad to do that for you but I dont have the ST-19 diagram so please send me the infos and I'll do

Here's an updated one for an A7753, so subdials positions should be (if I'm true) :

- Running Seconds @9 : X=-8.22 - Y=0.00

- Chrono Hours counter @3 : X=8.22 - Y=0.00

- Chrono Minutes counter @6 : X=0.00 - Y=-8.00

02_-_COSMOGRAPH_YACHTMASTER_A7753.jpg

Edited by manodeoro

NCRich
8 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

I'd be glad to do that for you but I dont have the ST-19 diagram so please send me the infos and I'll do

Here's an updated one for an A7753, so subdials positions should be (if I'm true) :

- Running Seconds @9 : X=-8.22 - Y=0.00

- Chrono Hours counter @3 : X=8.22 - Y=0.00

- Chrono Minutes counter @6 : X=0.00 - Y=-8.00

COSMOGRAPH_YACHTMASTER_A7753.jpg

Wow!

manodeoro
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

Wow!

you have my email adress so  send me the ST19 specs.

I'm realling thinking about buying an Alpha chrono for testing so it could be good if I get the specs ... they are cheap and seem to be really reliable so I'll check the subdials positions to see if it could fit.

The "problem" should be the chrono 24 hours counter @6  but I think I can live with this.

NCRich
4 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

you have my email adress so  send me the ST19 specs.

I'm realling thinking about buying an Alpha chrono for testing so it could be good if I get the specs ... they are cheap and seem to be really reliable so I'll check the subdials positions to see if it could fit.

The "problem" should be the chrono 24 hours counter @6  but I think I can live with this.

An Alpha is only $15 less than a vintage Daytona from MR.  Bad time to be ordering stuff though given CNY.

manodeoro
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

An Alpha is only $15 less than a vintage Daytona from MR.  Bad time to be ordering stuff though given CNY.

PMed you about the ST-19 :beer:

and off course I wont order anything until mid February

Nevertheless I already received 2 watches yesterday and I have two on the way so I really think that's enough for the next weeks

I'll be in Vietnam for 3 weeks on March/April so I'll see if I can find nice things there  :D

nuvolablue

These look fantastic.... Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

manodeoro
These look fantastic.... Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TEST product
With the help of a good friend I'm thinking about a way to get the subdials recessed but at the moment it's just "under reflexion".
Anyway I have plenty of time for testing cause I do NOT have a vintage Daytona and I don't think I will order anything more before my journey to Vietnam in March/April.

sent from my Moto G5 Plus using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Litkle Update ...

PROTOTYPE CHRONOGRAPH YACHMASTER DIAL ... on my favorite Champagne cork

Now I must go further and test on a Daytona dial plate

cb76ee43e1f67504be0b023e670e7204.jpg

GC
12 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

Litkle Update ...

PROTOTYPE CHRONOGRAPH YACHMASTER DIAL ... on my favorite Champagne cork emoji39.png

Now I must go further and test on a Daytona dial plate emoji6.png

Very sharp results, bravo! 

Bart Cordell

NCRich
19 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

Litkle Update ...

PROTOTYPE CHRONOGRAPH YACHMASTER DIAL ... on my favorite Champagne cork emoji39.png

Now I must go further and test on a Daytona dial plate emoji6.png

Very nice!

manodeoro

@GC  @Bart Cordell  @NCRich ...thank you guys.
I'll try to take better pics cause the dial is, in real, even sharper than the pics.
Now I must try on a real Daytona dial

Edited by manodeoro