J!m

Tudor Pelagos (2-line) latest & greatest

J!m

I've been out of the game a couple years. I have a friend locally and we occasionally bounce stuff off each other but otherwise my focus has been on other more important things in life.

Anyway, I have a 2-line Pelagos I purchased a couple years ago. Not working- most of the dial markers are loose inside and I cannot remove the case back (yet) as it is a Ti back on the Ti case (an early version I believe). I have yet to try liquid nitrogen on the case back.

I'm interested in getting a Pelagos which I will then refine, but I want to get the best base possible. I believe all the current offerings are black and blue four-line dials; I prefer the (Eta) two line dial. I will most likely go all through it, and install an Eta movement, so it should be an Eta clone version (if there are other movement options) assuming I will use the dial. One other time I was considering going with a newer four-line donor and putting the two-line dial I have in it (after I repair it of course).

If you could point me in the right direction for new purchase, I would appreciate it. Or, if you have something in any condition you want to unload, send me a PM.

Thanks!

Brewtown

Toro has the kw and v6 versions for around $320. You really can't go wrong with either. I would just leave the Asian 2826 in it and call it a day, as you will have to find a modified or gen like date wheel to match the old one. Not sure if the rep wheel will transplant. 

J!m

I'll check out Toro. I'm guessing you meant 2824 (date) or 2836 (day-date) movement? The 2826 is a big date and the Pelagos uses a standard 2824...

2824 and 2836 date wheels interchange (although not "perfectly"). I've used old stock 2836 date only as well as no-date in builds. You must remember the date spacer.

J!m

Toro got shut down again. I'll see what the new site is.

I am also interested in the new seadweller and that was out of stock. When I refreshed the page today to see if the status changed, I was greeted by a shutdown notice...

Airwreckc

Hi Jim,

I'd be interested in learning what progress you've made.  I also want to do the two-line version.  I was thinking of getting the latest V6F Black Pelagos (a V4?) as it appears to be the best replica and swapping out the dial and movement with a real ETA movement (2824-2?) and a Tudor decorated rotor.  Any thoughts on this?  Do you have any suggestions on where to get a good replica or a used dial?  Trying to build something as accurate as possible.  Anything else I've missed that I should be thinking about?

GenTLe

I confirm that the new version has a date wheel overlay so the 2 liner dial will not fit.

Both the new and the old ones have the 2824. And no, 2824 and 2836 date wheels aren't swappable as the 2836 has the inner board protruding versus the movement, while the 2824 is flat.

Anyway, I've an LHD (the destro with roulette date wheel) and after some modding looks great :)

J!m

Interest in getting the back off was re-ignited lately. As liquid nitrogen is not on our facility campus I figured liquid argon, but once you open the valve it can’t be closed apparently...  the other engineer suggested liquid oxygen which scared the crap out of me, but he’s comfortable with it. (Now the “re-ignited” above becomes a pun)

anyway, I saw a couple 2-line dials on eBay lately touted as genuine. They certainly look good but may be reps! Once I get mine open and apart I’ll know the score on those dials. 

Min other news I tried the (4-line) gen on and felt it was a bit tall. The old rose dial black bay fit me much nicer. Like the sd4k which also fit me well... I nearly bought the gen of that but they weren’t budging on the price so I figured I’d go grey on it. Ended up doing nothing and now used they are over msrp. 

What money I have has been going toward refining my current collection. Last night I installed NOS Tritium hands on my 5512 along with an NOS T19 crystal. That cost more than all the above mentioned reps combined. 

Fun hobby. 

J!m

I forgot all about this, but it's nearing the top of the pile on my bench so I figured I'd catch you guys up.

I got the back off. I simply used a can of "duster air" inverted to release the super-cold liquid. Once the back frosted over I grabbed the correct back tool and it spun right off. I will polish the threads on back and case to create a bit of clearance (and smooth them) and then apply anti-gall coating to the back threads.

It runs well, but I have to take it apart and re-apply the dial markers. Some were off when I got it and a few more fell off in the mean time. I'll pull them all and re-apply, or put a gen dial in there. Otherwise, it's a fine watch in good condition.

I'll see about removing the crown tube, cleaning, sealing and re-installing it (if I can do it without destroying it), as well as a new back gasket properly lubricated. Then I can either keep it, or blow it out to fund other projects. I always wanted one, but I think it may be a bit too thick for my "refined" tastes these days...

DetektivTudor

Anyway, I've an LHD (the destro with roulette date wheel) and after some modding looks great

Sorry for reanimating this long dead thread, but I'm curious about your mods on the LHD. It's one of my favs, so I'm interested in improving it smile.png

9c203cf4056e79f8ef6cd435ae01568f.jpg

GenTLe
15 minutes ago, DetektivTudor said:

Sorry for reanimating this long dead thread, but I'm curious about your mods on the LHD. It's one of my favs, so I'm interested in improving it smile.png

9c203cf4056e79f8ef6cd435ae01568f.jpg

Look here: 

DetektivTudor

Thanks mate
Looks like I was lucky with the date alignment :)