tripdog123

6542 GMT

tripdog123
Vintage builds aren't easy to get right - creating an authentic look is in fact pretty difficult, and I'm never really satisfied with the result - there's always something that could be improved, that I could have done differently.
It not only takes a while to develop and master techniques,  but also to understand what details are important in the build - walking that not-so-fine line between creating something that looks like it spent the last 40 years tied to the shitty end of a goat in the mountains of Afghanistan, and those godawful Phong/Ming mucho $$$$$ NOS assembly jobs that some people take so much delight in.

This watch, like most (all) of what I build is not 1:1, it's not 'gen spec',  or waterproof. 
I'll never call it a Franken or a Super Franken, and I doubt it would fool an expert if he held it 3 cm, or even 25 cm from his face. 
I couldn't give 2 shiny shits about the curve of the F or the R, the internal radius of the serifs, or the length of the hyphen. 
I've never repeatedly tapped the clasp to see if it rattles, or compared the noise the non-click bezel ring makes when turned to that of the genuine watch.
I don't know if the date magnification is  x 2,  x 1.8  or  x 2.15.
I have no idea if it runs within COSC standards, and I don't really care - if I want accurate I'll buy a fucking quartz.
I haven't even weighed it to check it against the genuine. 

The hand stack is, however, correct.

Most of the parts used come from Vietnam, the rest are from China, with the exception of the crystal and the crown, which come from Switzerland ( R Factory). 
It is, IMNSFHO, what a vintage replica build should be about - an assembly of modified, improved and reworked parts, where the whole is greater than the sum of those parts.

Despite all of the alarming facts cited above, using a little imagination, I think it looks believable as a 50 year old vintage Rolex, something that was maybe worn for 20 years or so, then put away in a safe and forgotten about for another 30 years.
It's a representation of a fairly rare 1959 6542 GMT with a glossy gilt dial, gilt hands (with damage from the radium) a white second hand and a 'Bakelite' bezel insert. Rare because this particular dial was only produced by Rolex for 1 year - the 'GMT-MASTER' was printed in red, this then faded over the years to a pale purple/pink color. 

dD59MjO.jpg

8BpMvUx.jpg

i15puIS.jpg

OtKIWpv.jpg

CgIpyrT.jpg

JibAzo3.jpg

RHz1kX5.jpg

FMpXYNk.jpg

Hi6tIKJ.jpg

JmL9vgJ.jpg

EEQLdKJ.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dusk

That's a killer piece. You nailed it 

Bjorns

That is just AMAZING !!!

ShovelnTC

Great work as usual and I agree that the ultra high dollar build totally defeats the whole reason and attraction for vintage builds.

It's the same with any vintage build be it a watch or a car or whatever, once something becomes too expensive then any "street cred" that that item may have had is lost.

These types of builds are much more in line with what enthusiasts are about and throwing wads of cash is replaced by pure experience after much trial and error in finding methods to re-create that look and feel of an otherwise unattainable vintage.

Enjoy your latest build although I expect it will soon be in a new owners hands.

GingerApple

That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. My first child being born? Nu-huh, not even a close second.

Amazing job, inspiring and intimidating at the same time. Great review, great photos, great everything.

Fuck you're good.

PS - You let yourself down by not doing the bracelet-tap-test. Disappointing when everything else about this was so good.

SeniorChief5352

Awesome!  I like this watch.   If you were shooting for 50 years old, you nailed it!

If you don't mind my asking, how much $ do you have into this build? 

GingerApple
Just now, ShovelnTC said:

Enjoy your latest build although I expect it will soon be in a new owners hands.

This is for sale??????????? Can I buy it???????????

If not this one, a future one????????

Please........????????

cpd2186

Excellent build as usual G!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GingerApple

I'm not sure I'd ever wear another watch again if I owned that. I can't stop staring at it. Beautiful. It makes the pulse race.

kilowattore

Where's that jaw-drop button then??? 

Well done mate and I agree with any single word you wrote. Well done.

paccbet

Oh the bakelite 

So good

Bart Cordell

The Master nailed it again !

Haltec

Watch?  Meh..

Description?  Epic!

tripdog123

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Sorry, it's not for sale - already off to it's new owner.

Cost - quite high - unreasonable high some might say. A couple of parts were made specifically for the watch, and every part was reworked - hand polishing and forcing the ageing of the gilt hands, machining a bespoke movement ring which negates the need for movement tabs,  individually polishing, brushing  and adding patina to the bracelet links. . . 

cpd2186

Can I buy it?

BM284

Absolutely wow!! Fantastic job you did there - shame you won’t get to enjoy any wrist time with that beauty!

tripdog123
28 minutes ago, cpd2186 said:

Can I buy it?

I don't know - have you tried ?

cpd2186

I know.... I can't afford it!!

GC

55F33CA8-3ACB-4D71-9A6B-FD2275E4B3B1.gif

BadPickle

TBH for me you’ve overdone the faux vintage on the hands, apart from that, good work trippers :clap: 

tripdog123
On 09/02/2018 at 22:18, pickledbeetroot said:

TBH for me you’ve overdone the faux vintage on the hands, apart from that, good work trippers :clap: 

Thanks Pickle. Being the shy, self effacing, retiring type, I would tentatively,  and above all, humbly, point you in the direction of this genuine 6542 that was the 'model' used for this build:

owwWlgi.jpg?1

NCRich

That is just godawful Awesome...........

Just so nicely done, attention to detail is perfect.

tripdog123
3 hours ago, NCRich said:

That is just godawful Awesome...........

Just so nicely done, attention to detail is perfect.

Thanks Rich.

BadPickle
18 hours ago, tripdog123 said:

Thanks Pickle. Being the shy, self effacing, retiring type, I would tentatively,  and above all, humbly, point you in the direction of this genuine 6542 that was the 'model' used for this build:

owwWlgi.jpg?1

Ah I see...... you used a model.... of course... ..well as Mr Loaf so repeatedly puts it..... two outta three ain’t bad.

I still say it’s good work though trippers, would be interesting to know how much lay out this kinda job is, excluding labour of course. :D 

tabuktime
12 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Ah I see...... you used a model.... of course... ..well as Mr Loaf so repeatedly puts it..... two outta three ain’t bad.

I still say it’s good work though trippers, would be interesting to know how much lay out this kinda job is, excluding labour of course. :D 

You know what they say Beet, if you have to ask...