Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Yellow Page rep told me he used to wear a Paul Newman Daytona...

AllergyDoc

He's a very nice guy. Too bad he only comes by once a year. Last year he noticed my seconds-at-nine full gold Daytona, complimented me on it, and said his dad had just bought him a steel Daytona. I asked him how long his dad had to wait before one became available and he changed the subject. I was suspicious...

Today he compliments me on my BK "transformer" GMT and then tells me his DateJust--another gift from his dad--needed to be serviced because the crown wasn't screwing in properly. Said the AD told him it would take a month and cost $500 for a repair and service. That sounded right.

I had just read on a site selling watch winders that the more you unscrew and rescrew crowns the quicker the gaskets wore out and the more likely you'll have problems with crown tube, etc. So I asked the guy if he wore his DJ every day. He said yes and "I was wearing a Paul Newman Daytona..."

Sure, buddy. You ditched a $50-100K watch for a SS DJ? I was going to call him on it but as he is such and nice guy and wasn't pushy at all, I shut my yap.

The DJ was an automatic. Last year he was wearing a gold quartz of some make I didn't recognize.

swissaddict

He never said the watches were gen ;)

AllergyDoc

No, but...

It was certainly implied with the $500 AD repair estimate...

Luthier
No, but...

What is so special in PN Daytona?

JohnG
No, but...

What is so special in PN Daytona?

A REAL PN Daytona is worth a mint, but this guy may have been using the term more loosely. A LOT of people use the term "Paul Newman" for any Daytona with contrasting sub-dials (black on cream or vice-versa). But not all contrasting subdial Daytonas are the original limited edition manual wind watch that AD is referring to.

I never understand when people on rep forums get all snobby about watches. We are wearing FAKE watches, or has everyone forgotten that little detail? Jeesh.

trailboss99
A LOT of people use the term "Paul Newman" for any Daytona with contrasting sub-dials (black on cream or vice-versa). But not all contrasting subdial Daytonas are the original limited edition manual wind watch that AD is referring to.

Good point. Even a average steel 'tona is hardly a cheap watch so maybe his dad decided to get him something more appropiate for every day wear, possibily even his old one thus saving the Daytona from beater duty. A SS DJ makes a damn good everyday watch after all.

Col.

JoeyB
A REAL PN Daytona is worth a mint,

We are wearing FAKE watches, or has everyone forgotten that little detail? Jeesh.

The very first google hit returned this 1967 Daytona for the paltry sum of $79,920.00 USD:

rolex-daytona-6239-image-24020-105134-bg.jpg

Paul Newman Daytona

How dare you sir! I'll have you know that my watches are GENUINE imitation Rolex! AND have GENUINE imitation Swiss ETA movements!! Further, when I use a leather strap it is only the finest and rarest GENUINE imitation alligator!!!

jameo210369

It sounds like the yellow pages guy either has a very rich daddy or delivering the yellow pages by you Doc pays very well; I believe he has no idea that he's talking to the Doc and buy that I mean a true watch nut. Bless him.

The Paul Newman is classy even though it's a Rolex.

greg_r

Jetmid's now working for Yellow Pages?

;)

jameo210369

He's the owner on a busmans holiday

RolexAddict
I never understand when people on rep forums get all snobby about watches. We are wearing FAKE watches, or has everyone forgotten that little detail? Jeesh.

+1

I like watches, I like to tweak and play with reps, I like to post here or anywhere, right now I just stay enough behind this Chinese rep watch mess and I feel very happy, more money in my pocket to do lot of other hobbies,

just my 2 euro cents :o

:D