Sign in to follow this  
Yongsoo

Find a place to repair or buy new one?

Yongsoo

Hi all, I browsed this forum pretty heavily before I purchased from Timesshop (I do feel powerful!). I love both my watches and always get complimented on them. Unfortunately, I dropped my mechanical one today. Is it worth it to find a place that can repair it? (Is that even possible with replicas?) or should I bite the bullet and replace it?

I'm not sure what happened to it. Here's a picture:

photo-1.jpg

thanks all in advance!

Luthier

Can you elaborate, please? What is the damage?

I see only fallen ring on faux tourby.

Yongsoo

I dropped it and it no longer works. I can set the time, and both the buttons still work to move the date and the other dials. However, movement has stopped even after winding. The fallen ring might have something to do with it??

Luthier

Yes, it's the part of balance wheel. Any watchsmith on shopping mall can put it back.

Yongsoo

hmmm took it by a watch repair guy this morning. he said it was too difficult =/

ZellerFTW
hmmm took it by a watch repair guy this morning. he said it was too difficult =/

They all say that... These joints in shopping malls really only know how to change batteries, at least in my experience. He probably saw "Patek" and immediately didn't want anything to do with it because the gens are so expensive.

For no-nonsense watch repairs in the US, call around to local pawn shops and ask who they use. A jeweler will never tell you who they use, because they want a cut of the money from the repair.

Or just call around... a good litmus test is to ask them if they can "align the hands to the dial markers", that filters most of the idiots out.