Sign in to follow this  
taylorwinn16

how to open the back on a rolex rep

taylorwinn16

My yachtmaster II is on and off working and I want to open the back and see whats wrong with it, can this be done?

MikeMcNair

roll up a big ball of duct tape, stick it to the back, and crank it off in a counter clockwise motion. reinstall the opposite.

but i must ask, if you don't know how to open it, how will you know how to fix it?

taylorwinn16

Yes I don't know what I'll do I guess just look for rust or something, or see if i can see a bent cog of some sort. Maybe then I can at least see what needs to be replaced in it.

MikeMcNair

good, er, um luck, or something.......

why not post symptoms, and ask questions befor getting dust and debris in there just to "look around"?

Drhulee

Rust or bent cog?!? B) Good luck on that :Whistle:

WatchMe007
My yachtmaster II is on and off working and I want to open the back and see whats wrong with it, can this be done?

Do an eBay search on a luxury watch brand like Panerai and you will find these ball tool things that are designed to grip the back of the watch. Ball of duct tape is same idea.

taylorwinn16

tried the duct tape thing twice, didnt work, but it did take the green sticker off the back. further more the watch has stopped completely now. thought at first it was just the second hand that wasnt working, but i guess it was all the hands from the beginning. occasionally i will get the second hand to move 1 or 2 seconds at a time but then it stops, even if i shake or wind.

taylorwinn16

also in now taking a closer look, not too sure that the back will even come off. doesnt appear to be an seams in the metal casing where a part might come off.....

Ska

yes there are, the rookie mistake is to push too hard downwards as you turn. It takes a bit of practice.

rust and bent cogs - not gonna happen.

just about every problem with watch movements is all but undetectable to the naked eye. You'll be saving yourself a LOT of grief if you just send it to be fixed!!

taylorwinn16

finally got the back off, poked around and somehow got it going again. I had to move some lever/switch thing over on the balance wheel and it started up moving again. not sure how long it will last, but Rolex should basically hire me as a senior level watch repairer.

Stormcrow
finally got the back off, poked around and somehow got it going again. I had to move some lever/switch thing over on the balance wheel and it started up moving again. not sure how long it will last, but Rolex should basically hire me as a senior level watch repairer.

This is exactly how I tackle a lot of problems I come across... let me have a play and ill see what I can do haha!

hope it works for you pal,

did you just use tape? I've been trying to open one of mine...

taylorwinn16

This is exactly how I tackle a lot of problems I come across... let me have a play and ill see what I can do haha!

hope it works for you pal,

did you just use tape? I've been trying to open one of mine...

yea duct tape, you have to make sure the tape goes over the rough edges on the back, use a decent sized ball and press down hard to make sure the tape sticks, but you dont need to press hard when you are twisting. just make sure it gets over those grooves bc that helps it stick.

Any have problems with the part where the bracelet connects to the face rattling/being a kind of loose?

Stormcrow

Turns out I've got gaffa tape... not duct tape, so won't work....

(gaffa tape was designed to remove completly - its weaker)

Takken

"...Rolex should basically hire me as a senior level watch repairer."

Still laughing my guts off here!

:rofl:

Ska

Gaffer tape (or grip tape as we call it in ze industry) should and will work fine, its all about how you use it!!

Stormcrow
Gaffer tape (or grip tape as we call it in ze industry) should and will work fine, its all about how you use it!!

Got any more tips? already read your last one about not pushing down too much :rofl:

EDIT: its off...

Sorry for highjacking your thread taylorwinn16! apolgies...

Edited by Stormcrow

taylorwinn16

I would also undo the bracelet, that was just annoying me/getting in the way when i was trying to do it, and when it was off and out of the way i was able to get more leverage and get a better twist. Also if you use one ball and it doesnt work, after two tries maybe youll need to make another ball because it loses all of its stick, or enough to not work well

dave47

hey, Taylor!

Try one of the soft, sticky balls you see on eBay to remove the case back. Those DO work; I know, because it's what I use to take off the caseback of my Rolexes... .

dave

tried the duct tape thing twice, didnt work, but it did take the green sticker off the back. further more the watch has stopped completely now. thought at first it was just the second hand that wasnt working, but i guess it was all the hands from the beginning. occasionally i will get the second hand to move 1 or 2 seconds at a time but then it stops, even if i shake or wind.

MikeMcNair

this thread is making my noob senses tingle TERRIBLY. search guys, seriously.