manodeoro

Brushed as ... REP ?

manodeoro

My friend mascob (on RWI) as given me, and still gives, a precious help in the building of my A / 6538 Buford (still in progress), so I felt beholden.
Consequently, when he kindly asked me if I would be OK to take care of his 116610 LN, I jumped at the chance.
So I received the watch a few days ago in my letterbox.
Well ... case and bracelet only (no crystal, no movement, no dial ...) since the purpose is just to help her to look a little better.
That watch is definitely NOt a JF, with it's weird bracelet and it's SD caseback, but it deserves respect and care.

Why "brushed as Rep" ?
To be honest, I have never had the opportunity to observelong enough a Gen 116610 in the details, so most of what I know about the brushing is what I have seen in pics of Gens and real ... Reps.
Plus the simple tools I use are definitely not the tools used in the RFactory.
So, even if I have done my best to help that watch to glitter and enhance its potential beauty, the brushing I have done is definitely not "as Gen".

CLEANING :

During the dismounting phase, I have noticed that my good friend had sent to me not only a watch but he had kindly enclosed enough DNA so that I could try to clone him.
Of course I have kept this DNA for future scientific experiments because owning my own skilled lathe operator would be great.

But that thread is not about genetic sciences so let's go back to the watch ...

YUCK !!! all the parts are quickly put in a "yuckpperware"

O0jZew6.jpg

A drop of dishwashing liquid

ViRXq5W.jpg

A little white vinegar…

EV0Gr0t.jpg

Another squirt…

qaShfj9.jpg

Some lukewarm water …

iPLlArx.jpg

And close the box for about 24 hours

yxPQD2J.jpg

The case itself needs a cleaning
The pics below are proof ... there is enough DNA to clone a 3rd @mascob

92wo20g.jpg

ANErOW9.jpg

pgIM56J.jpg

Used some Q-tips dipped in nail polish remover and it looks already better

6tC3Uth.jpg

pWaf7L6.jpg

XHCjG6B.jpg

Then I soak it all in a mixture of dishwashing liquid + white vinegar + hot water, but without dipping the rotating bezel and insert that I prefer not to disassemble ... it seems to be a "paper clip" assembly ... a construction which is not easily disassembled ... and much more uneasily reassembled

IYObFbj.jpg

Here's what I got after 24 hours dipping

8EzKnCW.jpg

l8GvErV.jpg

ighKsXy.jpg

TheN I wipe everything well and let everything dry for about 24 hours

REFERENCE PICS :

As I have already said, I do not have a great habit of 6 digits and their type of brushing, so I went looking for reference pics.
And I have noticed that the brushing of the lugs, on this model, differs a lot from that of the 5 digits.
The brushing is not inclined with respect to the axis of the watch but it aligns with the brushing of the bracelet.

yJ923nB.jpg

5YgZ8XH.jpg

jWCTDhV.jpg

bm5xb5Y.jpg

ks69Amz.jpg

5ggJ5Sg.jpg

vhFMKkd.jpg

zI2OHet.jpg

fAnc3Rc.jpg

PRELIMINARY WORK :

The bracelet mascob has sent to me probably comes from a 5 digits so the sides are brushed, plus they are a bit rough, with serious machining marks.
So before redoing the brushing I have to polish those sides first.

To achieve a perfect result it would have been usefull to sand them with increasing grades of sandpaper (800/1200/2000) before polishing but ... I really miss spare time these days :-(
So I just took my dremel-like, felts and cottons to polish, the blue and white dialux and polished without any preparation work.
And despite the fact that I have not sanded beforehand, the bracelet sides look polished and shiny.

SlWcqG0.jpg

FXrlSaX.jpg

GTU3zww.jpg

I went cautiously on the case because I did not removed the bezel and I did not want to damage the brush on the side ... something I would be unable to redo.
While working on the clasp sides I have noticed that the part where the Coronet sits is polished, thought it should be brushed ... so I'll have to take care of that too

1C30BQy.jpg

BRUSHING & FINISHES :

Last rainy sunday morning job ...
First the brushing of the bracelet, in several stages to go "neither too far nor not enough"

dqCNcO2.jpg

cbVms3w.jpg

emFUAKm.jpg

sgUPdaw.jpg

Everything went pretty well and we get to that

i7vIXoe.jpg

Then it's time to take care of the "diver extension" 

RKWw6Bw.jpg

u1yqyDk.jpg

Finally the lugs and ...
The clasp with its polished part around the coronet ... a part which should not be polished so now it's brushed ... "as Rep"

OcEtWXt.jpg

yuQ9exp.jpg

cQXC8YI.jpg

y8tPS7V.jpg

vlhvgz2.jpg

w9iKJCz.jpg

14dgtzK.jpg
In a day or two I'll have a "second look" at my work and I'm pretty certain that some parts will look "so so" to me and that I'll rework them. 
Then everything will be sent back to mascob

Edited by manodeoro

Glaude

No answer yet ?

Let me be the first then ! 

Nice work, nice result, trying to get the lighting as on the gen photo would really show the brushing :) 

Luxuracer

Nice job ... @manodeoro

SteveA

Nice job,I quite like doing this myself.

lrnz

Nice job, you get better with practice.. try to make the lines as straight as possible, this is my most recent brushing

rebrushed is the closer one, old one is the one on the back

25787549267_d10aaaa27a_b.jpg

Suk

Nice job! All done by hand? Respect!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

NCRich

Nice work @manodeoro !

manodeoro
3 hours ago, Glaude said:

No answer yet ?

Let me be the first then ! 

Nice work, nice result, trying to get the lighting as on the gen photo would really show the brushing :) 

3 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

Nice job ... @manodeoro

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Nice job,I quite like doing this myself.

Thanks guys :happy:

I'll try to take better pics before sending everything back to Mascob.

For the info, to do the brushing I used really simple tools :

- 9μ 3M sheets to sand the desk-dive marks

- fine arts abrasive sponge - 180 grade

- painter's masking tape

- 2 hands + 1 brain :D

2 hours ago, lrnz said:

Nice job, you get better with practice.. try to make the lines as straight as possible, this is my most recent brushing

rebrushed is the closer one, old one is the one on the back

25787549267_d10aaaa27a_b.jpg

really nice job too

manodeoro
2 hours ago, Suk said:

Nice job! All done by hand? Respect!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Almost everything by hands, except for the polish and the brushing on the part where the coronet sits on the clasp ... for those parts I used a dremel-like

2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Nice work @manodeoro !

Thanks Rich ... hope everything's OK in NC

After my Vietnam trip I'll post some news about my A/6538 ... that build is progressing slowly because of the custom bezel but I think I'll achieve that part and the final result will be huge :beer3:

manodeoro

Hi guys :beer: Last update to this thread

My friend mascob has received his watch.
I am posting those pics with his official authorisation :D  as he is not a member of this forum.

I really think I'm flirting with the limits of what I can do without better tools as what I did here is, virtually, nothing more than an "upgraded scotch-brite brushing".
Nevertheless I'm really happy with the final result ... hope you'll like it too :B):

aYJeifR.jpg

pAdOULI.jpg

JbZQcKo.jpg

6mgwpCI.jpg

VKXYgtD.jpg

yGFXm7v.jpg

pgYEo0J.jpg

tabuktime
28 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

Hi guys :beer: Last update to this thread

My friend mascob has received his watch.
I am posting those pics with his official authorisation :D  as he is not a member of this forum.

I really think I'm flirting with the limits of what I can do without better tools as what I did here is, virtually, nothing more than an "upgraded scotch-brite brushing".
Nevertheless I'm really happy with the final result ... hope you'll like it too :B):

Looks sweet now she's all back together.  It just goes to show what you can do with limited tools, but plenty of can do attitude...