Sign in to follow this  
Nightwatch

EGI with Angelus 240 cal (Image heavy)

Nightwatch

Below is a Submersible EGI that was inspired by the Donerix Polished version...

Step 1: Machine the inside of the case to take the full size 39mm dial

Step 2: Machine the lugs to take heavy duty thick lug bars (screw in)

Step 3: Make a new set of lug bars from 316 grade stainless steel

Step 4: Make a new display case back

Below: Here the case ring is being cut on a mini lathe out of stainless steel (the EGI's I have seen didn't use brass)

egigordon-001.jpg

Below: a new set of thick lug bars have been made to scale...they were then threaded and the top surface has been rounded or shaped (machined) then a slot has been added, again by machine.

egigordon-002.jpg

Below: The leather strap no longer scuffs on the case. This is because the lug bars have been relocated so that the strap has room to move. Do NOT attempt to drill the lugs out by hand. The outside hole on the DSN case is a dummy it does not align with the inside hole. To get this correct the drilling has to hit both holes and move forward a touch at the same time...if you try to do this by hand you risk making a mess of the lugs.

egigordon-003.jpg

Below: First stage after aging....the case looks old and dull, this is fine and can stay this way...or.... it can also be polished as well....later I decided to polish the case but only in certain areas...

egigordon-004.jpg

Below: The Polished version

egigordon-005.jpg

Below: The dial is now a full size 39mm dial instead of the 37mm DSN version. Also a new pearl has been made and fitted

egigordon-006.jpg

Below: The hands are original Angelus 240cal hands so is the lume, its left as found ie unmodified in anyway. The sub dial hands can be white or gold I decided on gold. Because of the heavy dial fading I decided on quite old looking indices to match.

egigordon-007.jpg

Below: The Angelus 240cal movement had been fully stripped, a few new parts have been added to replace any that were needed, the movement has also been cleaned and serviced then tested on a Time-grapher. The watch is accurate to around plus or minus 14 seconds a day as an average (its tested on its side, back and front and an average is taken).

Also a new Display Case back has been specially made for this project, it would have been a shame to hide the 240 cal movement. The Case Back with Plexi has been made so that it is water tight.

egigordon-009.jpg

Below: I have made a plate to hide the alarm gears that have been removed and left a hole or two. Note: The EGI's didn't have CDG bridges so the plate I made doesn't need them. Therefore the CDG had to be removed from the original balance wheel bridge. This bridge was taken back to brass and then replated in nickel so that both bridges are a perfect match. The nickel plating wasnt easy to do as the electro plating cannot be allowed to touch the Angelus engraving, if it did then the Angelus logo would be difficult to see. I had to fill the Angelus engraving to protect it whilst it was plated so that after plating it remained gold.

egigordon-008.jpg

Below: A solid plexi has been made and added, however, the EGI is the only watch I would use a solid plexi on. This Plexi was made over sized and it had to be placed in a freezer for quite a while so that it would contract enough to fit, even then it was a little tight. Once it hit room temperature it expanded back to normal and is a water tight fit

egigordon-010.jpg

Below: The Crown guard seals are all in place, the crown guard lever actually works like it was designed to ie place pressure on the rubber crown seal to make a water tight seal with the stem tube. The stem tube body also needs to be soldered to case for a water tight seal otherwise it will not be able to accept water pressure or any real water depth.

egigordon-011.jpg

Below: The back of the case (not shown) will be sealed internally once the watch is fully tested. The next stage is to have it pressure tested and take it underwater....

egigordon-012.jpg

egigordon-013.jpg

Otek

Amazing as usual NW :lol: Thanks for the pictures!

Member X

Jealous!! :lol:

guami007

Would you take a trade for this? I'll give you my 8 year old going on 15 estrogen laden tween for your EGI. So what'ya say :lol:

zivadavis

outstanding!

that watch although it may be too large for me is amazing.......

VERY nice work nightwatch

JohnG

Awesome, as always. Just can't get enough of Gordon's work.

Baldrick

Marvellous work Gordon, you seem very adept at engineering.

One small nit-pick ( one that would annoy me, not necessarily evertone else tho' ), would it be possible to re-manufacture a crown guard that offered better 'shut-lines' with the case, if I were looking at this watch in person, I'd think it better if the CG lines were smooth flowing with the lines of the case, more fluid, instead of being stepped down, to my eye it looks like the CG from a different watch, just an observation, keep up the great work :wub:

egigordon-004.jpg

Nightwatch
Marvellous work Gordon, you seem very adept at engineering.

One small nit-pick ( one that would annoy me, not necessarily evertone else tho' ), would it be possible to re-manufacture a crown guard that offered better 'shut-lines' with the case, if I were looking at this watch in person, I'd think it better if the CG lines were smooth flowing with the lines of the case, more fluid, instead of being stepped down, to my eye it looks like the CG from a different watch, just an observation, keep up the great work :)

egigordon-004.jpg

Yes.... the CG is something I plan to work on in the future hopefully I will have completed one by summer....

iconic dive

Very impressive Gordon, even moreso in the metal... hope it really keeps that kind of incredible time +/- 14 secs a day!

Looking forward I remain,

Lu

Balad1

Seriously impressed.