NCRich

Vintage Speedy Quartz Tutorial - Completed

NCRich
19 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Mate that is looking great!

Every time I look at mine now I just see all the WHITE!!!! Haha

The vintage colour (yes, that’s how you spell colour) lume really changes the look for the better

Yeah, I am really happy with it.  Its better than I expected.  The hands are very easy to fly away.  I lost one of the little ones twice and spent an hour searching for it.

GingerApple

This thread is beginning to depress me, forcing me to confront the dream that I'll never be able to achieve. Very nice. Depressingly, out of reach, nice.

Haltec
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

Do you want me to take a picture of the case back?  Anyway movement, dial, and hands are assembled.

e5r7xPz.jpg?1

Yes please - both versions.  

You did a great job.  Looks like target.

Just..  did you consider to prolong indices on to seconds track?   

Someone posted few days ago excellent thread about reluming diy tools.   

Should be "easy" doing it like that.  

Bezel is not overfaded imho.  

I would bleached it even bit more personally.

Disclaimer : All my observations are "preference" driven.   

Great job.

How come that everyone changing crystal for plexi ?  

Is there something else beside genuineness ?

Thnx

Haltec

NCRich
13 minutes ago, Haltec said:

Yes please - both versions.  

You did a great job.  Looks like target.

Just..  did you consider to prolong indices on to seconds track?   

Someone posted few days ago excellent thread about reluming diy tools.   

Should be "easy" doing it like that.  

Bezel is not overfaded imho.  

I would bleached it even bit more personally.

Disclaimer : All my observations are "preference" driven.   

Great job.

How come that everyone changing crystal for plexi ?  

Is there something else beside genuineness ?

Thnx

Haltec

Quartz

fruTjgb.jpg?1

Handwind

bZTTOyT.jpg?1

I have a sapphire on the handwind so I left it alone.  I like it.  The mineral glass crystal on the quartz was a funky shape and just doesn't look right on a vintage watch.  A plexi is $4 from Cousins so its an easy thing to do and should look much better.

Buglicker

Looks fantastic.

Speedy Quartz was my first purchase on the gate, it’s now going to get a little aging and a hesalite.

Thommo82
44 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Yeah, I am really happy with it.  Its better than I expected.  The hands are very easy to fly away.  I lost one of the little ones twice and spent an hour searching for it.

That happened to me when I was changing the hands on my Vintage Bulova Snorkel. Lucky the little bastard is orange and landed coloured side up

17 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Quartz

fruTjgb.jpg?1

bZTTOyT.jpg?1

That hand wind movement is gorgeous 

Haltec

Thnx for photos mate. 

I like closed one better.

@Buglicker - Where did you order Hesalite from?  Price?  

@Thommo82 

??!  You are telling us, here, publicly on forum, that you manage to circumvent Murphy's LAW ???????

:notworthy:

;-)

Edited by Haltec

gmchris
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

e5r7xPz.jpg?1

Loving this! Gotta ask (as a lume virgin) is all lume waterbased? Do you have a link for the lume?

NCRich
13 minutes ago, gmchris said:

Loving this! Gotta ask (as a lume virgin) is all lume waterbased? Do you have a link for the lume?

No most people use something like nail polish or some other oil based medium.  The advantage of a water based lume is solely the ability to color it easily with a watercolor kit.  Water based is more forgiving in my opinion.  Doesn't really matter I don't think when you learn to apply it. I bought this two years ago.  I've used 40% of it on tons of watches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WATCH-LUME-LUMINOUS-PASTE-KIT-GLOW-IN-THE-DARK-DIY-LUME-FOR-WATCH-HANDS/301576300414?hash=item463759277e:m:m5UkRmj1qU0aLKsJfhC-cJw

Buglicker
30 minutes ago, Haltec said:

EBE86_BFB-_FC14-4_A8_A-_B053-7_F71_C268_

Bought this a few months ago, came with a new gen hesalite fitted, and a spare that has a small crack, plus the original. 

I’ll see how it looks.

gmchris
22 minutes ago, NCRich said:

No most people use something like nail polish or some other oil based medium.  The advantage of a water based lume is solely the ability to color it easily with a watercolor kit.  Water based is more forgiving in my opinion.  Doesn't really matter I don't think when you learn to apply it. I bought this two years ago.  I've used 40% of it on tons of watches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WATCH-LUME-LUMINOUS-PASTE-KIT-GLOW-IN-THE-DARK-DIY-LUME-FOR-WATCH-HANDS/301576300414?hash=item463759277e:m:m5UkRmj1qU0aLKsJfhC-cJw

Thanks. I like the idea of different colours of lume maybe green but blue at 12 (obviously not on a speedie). I'm assuming the glow colour is changed as well as the daylight colour by the watercolour paint. Sorry for going off topic.  Can't wait to see the crystal replaced.

NCRich
21 minutes ago, gmchris said:

Thanks. I like the idea of different colours of lume maybe green but blue at 12 (obviously not on a speedie). I'm assuming the glow colour is changed as well as the daylight colour by the watercolour paint. Sorry for going off topic.  Can't wait to see the crystal replaced.

No the glow color stays the same no matter what you color the lume mix.

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, NCRich said:

No the glow color stays the same no matter what you color the lume mix.

Whaaaaat! So the different colours they sell it in, ie 'white',  'green',  'vintage' etc can be altered at the time of application to look whatever colour you please (within reason), but will glow the original colour?

So if I buy white lume, give it a red tint with water colour, it will look red in daylight, but glow white in the dark?

NCRich
2 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Whaaaaat! So the different colours they sell it in, ie 'white',  'green',  'vintage' etc can be altered at the time of application to look whatever colour you please (within reason), but will glow the original colour?

So if I buy white lume, give it a red tint with water colour, it will look red in daylight, but glow white in the dark?

It glows green or blue.  The color you give to the binder makes no diff for the lume color.  Its two separate things.

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, NCRich said:

It glows green or blue.  The color you give to the binder makes no diff for the lume color.  Its two separate things.

Gotcha. So which colour did you buy? White? Presumably the easiest to tint to suit any need? Or 'vintage'?

NCRich
1 hour ago, Haltec said:

Thnx for photos mate. 

I like closed one better.

@Thommo82 

??!  You are telling us, here, publicly on forum, that you manage to circumvent Murphy's LAW ???????

:notworthy:

;-)

The hesalites can be ordered from:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_168.html#9979

But you need to know the diameter of the bezel you are trying to insert it into.  My quartz is pretty much 33.6mm.  I don't know what the handwind is as I have not measured it. I know a gen hesalite fits the handwind as I talked with Kenny.  I ordered the SK since it was very similar and I assumed the size was not like the gen.  And looking at Ofrei it isn't.  Plus the SK high dome no step is $5.

NCRich
27 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Gotcha. So which colour did you buy? White? Presumably the easiest to tint to suit any need? Or 'vintage'?

The vintage comes with this brown stuff you can mix with the lume to make it look vintage.  I ordered that, I do occasionally use the brown stuff to dim down my colors.

tommylad

Love this. It inspires me to give it a try.

NCRich

Bastige Plexi is too big!!!!!!!!  Sigh.  2 more weeks.

zikzak

NCRich --- loving this thread, excellent work thus far! I'm going to have to lurk your member's posts profile page and camp on any forthcoming M2M posts you make. ;-) 

Sorry to read above about the Bastige plexi not working out... a vicious game of trial and error, but could definitely benefit others (that are as adventurous as you when it comes to patina modding). 

I mean, if you wanted another 'test' watch w/ the Lemania manual movement that came from MR as well--- I'm more than happy to send one your way as long as it eventually made it's way back to me. Of course w/ some token from me for your efforts/testing. :D

I agree about the stock sapphire that came on the manual MotM, I even have the legit Omega  plexi and see no reason to put it in there--  I don't mind the current look, but def would prefer the lume and patina you have demo'd in this thread over the  brightness you see below.

* an old friend wanted to say hi and snuck into the background lol

OcdvCw2.jpg

rGLzl0z.jpg

gmchris

TWO WEEKS!!!!!

Jeez gonna be a long 2 weeks this.

zulu44gmt
NCRich --- loving this thread, excellent work thus far! I'm going to have to lurk your member's posts profile page and camp on any forthcoming M2M posts you make. ;-) 
Sorry to read above about the Bastige plexi not working out... a vicious game of trial and error, but could definitely benefit others (that are as adventurous as you when it comes to patina modding). 

I mean, if you wanted another 'test' watch w/ the Lemania manual movement that came from MR as well--- I'm more than happy to send one your way as long as it eventually made it's way back to me. Of course w/ some token from me for your efforts/testing.
I agree about the stock sapphire that came on the manual MotM, I even have the legit Omega  plexi and see no reason to put it in there--  I don't mind the current look, but def would prefer the lume and patina you have demo'd in this thread over the  brightness you see below.

OcdvCw2.jpg
rGLzl0z.jpg

Rich - nice work as usual. I found some lume paint at michaels for about $4 and doesn’t look much different then some of the rep lumes I’ve encountered.
I fitted my old snoopy quartz with mineral- and my old MR with gen hesalite- added so much character to both watches. Heres some old pics 39153276c3670ac0661bfe0be58a2840.jpg722266055ef2315035b99620dd6562a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCRich
On 3/16/2018 at 13:40, zikzak said:

I mean, if you wanted another 'test' watch w/ the Lemania manual movement that came from MR as well--- I'm more than happy to send one your way as long as it eventually made it's way back to me. Of course w/ some token from me for your efforts/testing. :D

OcdvCw2.jpg

rGLzl0z.jpg

LOL, missed that at the first reading.  The little Milgauss!

NCRich

2VuVqK3.jpg?2

5F3ZyL5.jpg?2

zikzak

:Applause:

Those on-wrist pics, even knowing it's a quartz, are oh so lust-worthy!

Excellent work and nice strap pairing!!