WatchDog21

A Watch Show Case Project (Project Completed)

WatchDog21

OK, enough goof ups for today.  I will finish cutting the rest of the felt for the inner grid pieces tomorrow and hopefully assemble it Sunday.

27027688927_6839f680cc_c.jpg

Luxuracer
18 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

OK, enough goof ups for today.  I will finish cutting the rest of the felt for the inner grid pieces tomorrow and hopefully assemble it Sunday.

giphy.gif

Glaude

That's coming along very nicely !

aitcharGMT

Can't wait to see this finished! Great work!

WatchDog21

Lots of cutting to get all of the grid pieces covered

41909710671_0f972ef3f2_c.jpg

I should have done all of my cutting on Saturdays while at the shop, the glass counter top was perfect for this somewhat tedious task.

27040672377_a608320613_c.jpg

41192063574_1bce47e2aa_c.jpg

and ready for tomorrow!

27040695197_8244cc0b7d_c.jpg

VMSG

giphy.gif

WatchDog21

Putting the grids together has really tried my patience.  :blowup: They fit perfectly and then I put the felt on.  I should have made my cuts compensate for the added felt. :frusty:  I had a few that just did not want to go down in.  You can see on the 3rd shelf down how it actually made it bow out a bit in the center.  The bottom shelf looks worse in the picture that it really is but it was also the first one I assembled and will be less center stage than the top two.

The worst results of all of this will never be seen but lets just say that there were a few pieces that either cracked or snapped off.  Everything is back together and looking at the picture  I can see that I have some spots that will need tidied up.  I will putting on a coat of Rust-Oleum  Triple thick Clear Matte finish in a bit .  Once the finish dries I will mount the LED lights.  I am pretty sure that they are not going to light it up the way I would really like but what I have will have to do for now.  Once the lights are mounted I can put the back side on and then start moving the watches into their new home.  I will still have the doors to finish off with the Matte finish and some serious glass / plexiglass (not sure what they are made from) cleaning. but there is no rush on these.  We'll see how well that expensive green painters tape did!

40125612400_e6e11281d2_b.jpg

Rokerite
Putting the grids together has really tried my patience.  :blowup: They fit perfectly and then I put the felt on.  I should have made my cuts compensate for the added felt. :frusty:  I had a few that just did not want to go down in.  You can see on the 3rd shelf down how it actually made it bow out a bit in the center.  The bottom shelf looks worse in the picture that it really is but it was also the first one I assembled and will be less center stage than the top two.
The worst results of all of this will never be seen but lets just say that there were a few pieces that either cracked or snapped off.  Everything is back together and looking at the picture  I can see that I have some spots that will need tidied up.  I will putting on a coat of Rust-Oleum  Triple thick Clear Matte finish in a bit .  Once the finish dries I will mount the LED lights.  I am pretty sure that they are not going to light it up the way I would really like but what I have will have to do for now.  Once the lights are mounted I can put the back side on and then start moving the watches into their new home.  I will still have the doors to finish off with the Matte finish and some serious glass / plexiglass (not sure what they are made from) cleaning. but there is no rush on these.  We'll see how well that expensive green painters tape did!
40125612400_e6e11281d2_b.jpg

Scribe round the masking tape before you remove in case paint has formed a bridge and pulls off paint on the casing.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

GingerApple

Don't be so hard on yourself mate, I think it's awesome!

Glaude
3 hours ago, Rokerite said:

Scribe round the masking tape before you remove in case paint has formed a bridge and pulls off paint on the casing.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Very good advice !

3 hours ago, Gingerbubba said:

Don't be so hard on yourself mate, I think it's awesome!

Agreed, I also think this is awesome and will look very good in the end !
You told us numerous times you weren't handy, this project shows the contrary !

Just a piece of advice, if the glass is indeed plexiglass : be vewy vewy gentle with it, Plexiglas scratches very easily

Hyjynx

This project is coming along quite nicely. When it comes to stuff like this, I’m all thumbs and so I really admire your modestly-stated skills and dedication. Subscribed!

WatchDog21

I am looking into other options so that I can maybe get the lights directly above the watches.  My main issues is the wires have to run down the back and there is not much room for a thick wire.  What I have here now is is just a temporary setup to get an idea of what I may get with the current lights.   The lights are not permanently mounted yet and the back is not screwed on.  This LED strip will do RGB and in a variety of combinations BUT my watch cabinet  is not a disco show;  nuff said on flashing lights!

40155524610_7df9aba576_b.jpg

GingerApple

Fucking cool!

Luxuracer
30 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

BUT my watch is not a disco show;

Really nice ... Big G.

Heck ... Flashing LED light, hang a crystal ball .... Let's bring the '80 back ... baby!

WatchDog21

Lots of color

41244342414_21f294e6dd_b.jpg 41244341904_d0f658927d_b.jpg 

41244341334_69ba321693_b.jpg 41244331324_692343deed_b.jpg

24 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Really nice ... Big G.

Heck ... Flashing LED light, hang a crystal ball .... Let's bring the '80 back ... baby!

WatchDog21

I believe I have stumbled on a way to get better lighting!  I had to change where my starting point of the LED strip was to accommodate for making sure the IR emitter could make contact with the remote.  The end result was that I had to do some "doubling back" and in turn it added the additional light.  Right now it is only the top two rows but I can add in another section of LED's right where I left off and continue on to do the bottom two shelves.

Here is a comparison.

41244341334_69ba321693_c.jpg 27116202747_0b5735b361_c.jpg

GingerApple

This is giving me bad flashbacks to Amsterdam and an 18 stone/300 pound hooker I went down on.

*Shudder.

J!m

VEGAS baby!

RUSH2112
1 hour ago, Gingerbubba said:

This is giving me bad flashbacks to Amsterdam and an 18 stone/300 pound hooker I went down on.

*Shudder.

What was his name?

WatchDog21
54 minutes ago, J!m said:

VEGAS baby!

Heading there in 2 weeks.

narikaa
1 hour ago, Gingerbubba said:

*Shudder.

"You are what you eat"

as the old saying goes

:giggle:

Xpletiv

What was that about lighting, again?

WatchDog21
7 minutes ago, Xpletiv said:

What was that about lighting, again?

No Disco show here,  but now that I think of it a mirror back would be nice and enhance the lights perhaps.

WatchDog21

I am waiting on a reply back from the good people of Rust-Oleum.  The clear matte finish has some weird undesirable drying that needs corrected.  I am guessing it will be apply another coat or light sand the area and apply another coat; I hope.

28125534548_5c8b466702_b.jpg

WatchDog21

...and message received.  Just as I was guessing:

"Based on the photo provided, it looks like you experienced some brush marks in your application.  These are generally a result of bringing the brush through the product after it has started to dry.  To correct the application, lightly sand with a 220 grit sandpaper to remove the brush marks and then apply a new coat."