WatchDog21

A Watch Show Case Project (Project Completed)

tabuktime
5 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

I am waiting on a reply back from the good people of Rust-Oleum.  The clear matte finish has some weird undesirable drying that needs corrected.  I am guessing it will be apply another coat or light sand the area and apply another coat; I hope.

28125534548_5c8b466702_b.jpg

Still looks better than the POS @Thommo82 hasn't finished.

omegex
26 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

Still looks better than the POS @Thommo82 hasn't finished.

:lmao: :thumbsup:

Luxuracer
2 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

...and message received.  Just as I was guessing:

"Based on the photo provided, it looks like you experienced some brush marks in your application.  These are generally a result of bringing the brush through the product after it has started to dry.  To correct the application, lightly sand with a 220 grit sandpaper to remove the brush marks and then apply a new coat."

Geezzz ... No need for expert opinions .... !

JUST DO NOT RUB THE PAINT BEFORE IT"S DRIED 

:rofl:

WatchDog21

Contrary to what the Fu King implies I may have done :poke:, I did not try to brush it while it was drying!  This finish is thick (Triple Thick) and can be a bit tricky applying.  If you look at the previous above pic does that look like brush marks or perhaps the finish running down the side before it has dried?  On first application the top piece came out great because it was flat and horizontal, it was only the sides that "got the runs" :giggle:

Top of cabinet - not re-application

27296240517_8076946d02_c.jpg

What the product directions did not indicate and as I have now discovered, the finish applies much better when the piece is in a flat horizontal position.  When in that position it will not run while drying.  This does not apply like paint, the thickness of the product is what contributed to the run when sitting in a vertical position.  So I have sanded and applied a new coat of the Triple Thick Matte finish.  I am still not 100% satisfied but it is better and I am not going to try and do anymore with the finish; it is what it is.

27296242707_b62244b609_c.jpg

I am almost done with installing the LED lights.  Once those are in I will attach the back pieces.  Aside from finishing the front doors it will be done.  I am going to move the watches into the cabinet and finish off the doors as time permits.

tabuktime

It's looking good so far, can't wait to see it populated!

J!m

Wow. What a miserable product! If it’s only suitable for table tops, it should be sold that way. 

Next time: spray finish. 

Congrats on overcoming the obstacles and pushing forward!

Mr Stubbs

This is turning out to be absolutely epic.  Don't keep us in suspense, I can hardly wait!  :thumbsup2:

Luxuracer
49 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

the finish applies much better when the piece is in a flat horizontal position.  When in that position it will not run while drying.

Nice save ... big G.

This wonderful project is coming to the final stage. Everyone is waiting for the great display debut.

WatchDog21
16 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Nice save ... big G.

This wonderful project is coming to the final stage. Everyone is waiting for the great display debut.

I should be able to make the switch after I get back from Vegas next week; perhaps Fri the 25th if all goes well. :thumbsup:

Luxuracer
6 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

I should be able to make the switch after I get back from Vegas next week; perhaps Fri the 25th if all goes well. :thumbsup:

Ahhh .... I forgot about your GC and Vegas trip .... Don't do anything that I wouldn't do ... OK !!! :giggle:

WatchDog21

As I was leaving work today I suddenly remember I took Friday off along with all next week and the following Monday is a holiday.  I should have this wrapped up (less the doors, maybe...) by end of next week.  Here is a shot of how I am working the LED strip into the back of the case.  I did not want to use hot glue to assist in holding them in place but I did do spots of super glue to make sure they don't start falling off.  The "3M" backing is not that great.

Back of case before the back cover goes on:

42130833962_057c5a7949_b.jpg

Same as above but lite up.  The small gap where there is no  light will not matter since this is below the shelf support and shelf.

42177685691_e7d3d3d5a4_b.jpg

Mr Stubbs

This project is pure genius, WatchDog.  You're showing patience, creativity and sheer tenacity that the rest of us envy.   

When the the final photo is posted, I can just see you starting an improved version. :D

WatchDog21
24 minutes ago, Mr Stubbs said:

...When the the final photo is posted, I can just see you starting an improved version. :D

You can see right through me!  I have 2 different ideas; one the would still use the second case that I still have like this one and then a totally different approach.  We'll see in time. :thumbsup:

VMSG
50 minutes ago, Mr Stubbs said:

This project is pure genius, WatchDog.  You're showing patience, creativity and sheer tenacity that the rest of us envy.   

When the the final photo is posted, I can just see you starting an improved version. :D

giphy.gif

tabuktime
17 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

As I was leaving work today I suddenly remember I took Friday off along with all next week and the following Monday is a holiday.

Can't you nip down to Australia and give @Thommo82 a tutorial (kick in the ass) on how to build one of these.

His project is really dragging on. Like, nothing is happening at all.

Man he is such a waster...

Glaude
1 hour ago, tabuktime said:

Can't you nip down to Australia and give @Thommo82 a tutorial (kick in the ass) on how to build one of these.

He gives away a watch each 1000 post just to keep the collection under control and avoid finishing the bloody cabinet !

WatchDog21

@Mr Stubbs must have been reading my mind for some time now (and that can be scary  :giggle:) Even though this is just about complete I have been thinking over my mistakes in this project (and there are plenty) and have been kicking around the idea of either building out the other cabinet I have or maybe take on a new and different approach.  Perhaps....

I will take a bit of a break once this is done and think it over.

Anyway, the back is on and I am moving the cabinet out of the way to make room and finish off the doors.  I plan on getting the Matte finish applied today. so I made sure that these are ready for the application and lying flat to avoid what I call "product sagging"

28319915198_b6a8ca5c83_c.jpg 42146053142_09528276c0_c.jpg

Mr Stubbs

Pro Tip:  Three trips to the gym each week, a little road work and a lean diet do wonders for 'product sagging'...  :D

WatchDog21
11 minutes ago, Mr Stubbs said:

Pro Tip:  Three trips to the gym each week, a little road work and a lean diet do wonders for 'product sagging'...  :D

:rofl:

Luxuracer

Can't wait to see that cabinet ... filled with watches :thumbsup:

VMSG
35 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Can't wait to see that cabinet ... filled with watches :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

WatchDog21

The moving has begun but I need more watch pillows, 28 to be exact :facepalm:

42200286511_49740beed4_c.jpg

Luxuracer
4 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

The moving has begun but I need more watch pillows, 28 to be exact :facepalm:

What happened to the pool stick thingies ?!?!

WatchDog21
15 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

What happened to the pool stick thingies ?!?!

I already had the pillows.

Thommo82
15 hours ago, tabuktime said:

13 hours ago, Glaude said:

He gives away a watch each 1000 post just to keep the collection under control and avoid finishing the bloody cabinet !

Funny thing is I finished that cabinet ages ago but just didn’t tell anyone or update my post. 

Because you guys are such dicks I may not ever show you