Sign in to follow this  
Distinct

Learning a lot...

Distinct

So in the last month or so, I've become fascinated by learning about the replica craft for Rolex watches. I've bought three already. The first was new/used from a person on the local classifieds. A blue face Submariner. Looked fine but after I learned more, the face was too reflective and had a purple hue to it. The date bubble also didn't magnify 2.5X as it should. The band was also wasn't very solid. Lesson learned. The next watch I got was a Deep Sea Sea Dweller. I looked this watch over twice before buying locally. Paid $180 and the quality was so much nicer than the Submariner. The only flaws I found on this were the bezel ring seemed to pop up slightly and the glass seemed to be seated slightly off, thus the etched crown wasn't perfectly at 6:00. Lastly, I received a GMT Master II from China, that a Friend brought back from me. They ordered it from taobao.com and it came and it's very very good. Just as good as the Deep Sea Sea Dweller. Three issues with this watch: 1) The glass is seated incorrectly. So the date bubble and the laser etched crown are off. Like the whole glass should have been rotated counter clockwise a few degrees and it would be perfect. 2) The 6 and 9 are open instead of closed. 3) The hand order is flipped and the movement doesn't behave like a proper GMT (this doesn't bother me so much).

Looking forward to learning more.

A few questions:

1) Is is possible to have the glass removed at a watch repair place and have them reset it in the proper position?

2) Is it possible to take the date wheel from one movement and transfer it to another movement (take the proper date from the Submariner and move it to the GMT Master II)?

Thanks.

Nisv

Hi Distinct, welcome :bollocks:

You've come to the right place no doubt, keep up the good modding and some beautiful day

you'll be the one answering the questions :P

Balad1

Welcome Distinct; just buy more watches, lol.

greg_r

Welcome!

The crystal re-positioning is straightforward. You'll just need to find a watchsmith who is willing to work on reps.

The datewheel swap is possible if the movements are the same (they may not be).

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :Whistle:

Distinct
Welcome!

The crystal re-positioning is straightforward. You'll just need to find a watchsmith who is willing to work on reps.

The datewheel swap is possible if the movements are the same (they may not be).

I found a place by my office that is doing the crystel repositioning for $20. I'll pick it up this afternoon. They said it takes 30 minutes. Thanks for the help.

Member X
:ttiwwop:

Del

Hello and welcome :).

jameo210369

Hi District, welcome to the forum. You sound like a hands on type of watch collector.

Distinct
:D

HAHA, first post and I get the animated TPIWWP graphic.

You can see in the picture that the 9 in today's date of 19th is open and the date itself is sitting slightly too high in the date window.

mississauga201104190009.jpg

mississauga201104190009.jpg

Fiddo

Hello! :thepianohasbeendrinking:

Welcome!