Kane10

Oiling Cartier Calibre Rotor

Kane10

Hey guys, I hope you can help.

I recently bought my first rep, a Calibre de Cartier from JJF factory. It has an "A23J movement".

It's a lovely looking watch, but the thing is, it's embarrassingly noisy, so much so that I don't dare wear it. Every time I move my wrist it sounds like I'm shaking a pack of tic tacs!

I bought some Moebius 9010 oil to quieten the rotor. I opened it up earlier following guides I'd seen online, but I just can't unscrew the rotor. If I use any more force on the screw it's going to break something.

Here's the picture... am I missing something really obvious? I've searched high and low but have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Thank you

lPD0NAT.jpg

Edited by Kane10

GenTLe

Maybe the whole central thing is glued and the real screw is below. I have seen different 23j made that way.
Not exactly easy, I used a screwdriver to push in the 3 lateral holes to turn the fake plate until the glue detached and was able to take out the central part just putting the watch face up.

fatarms

Hard to tell from that pic if it's a sticker or not.  What kind of potato did you take that picture with?

Glaude

Maybe a little eat applied could soften the glue to pry the cover off

3 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Hard to tell from that pic if it's a sticker or not.  What kind of potato did you take that picture with?

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "potato dslr"

trailboss99
6 hours ago, Glaude said:

Maybe a little eat applied could soften the glue to pry the cover off

Na, he didn't use that; that's a Zenit E1 MK-IV potato, it may Russian but they take great pictures. After all, them Ruskies know their potatoes!  

brang1
6 hours ago, fatarms said:

:giggle:

Kane10
8 hours ago, fatarms said:

hahaha, apologies, I took it at night, I think the flash f'd it up.

This is slightly better. But I've already taken the decorative sticker off which had three mini fake screws in it.

wQzgQOu.jpg

8 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Maybe the whole central thing is glued and the real screw is below. I have seen different 23j made that way.
Not exactly easy, I used a screwdriver to push in the 3 lateral holes to turn the fake plate until the glue detached and was able to take out the central part just putting the watch face up.

Thanks for the reply mate. It's solid, I've already taken the fake cover from the top of it. That whole central thing is built into the rotor.

When I turn the screw, it just tries to turn the rotor. It feels like the screw is fake and the rotor is riveted or something. Very frustrating.

I posted a better picture above.

Edited by Kane10

Kane10

It was a case of actually applying more force. I eventually got it off.

Only problem is, I've oiled the bearings, and it's still as noisy as before.

I think the problem wasn't so much the bearings needing oiling, but the rotor weight sits on top and screws into the rotor. It's held in place by a microscopic screw and has some give so there's a metal vs metal rattling round when it moves. It was screwed down by superman before hand, so it's not just a case of the screw needing tightening.

Think I've flushed £300 down the drain :archaeology:

WBkLcs1.jpg

Glaude

Do you have a watchsmith that can take a look at it ? 

Where are you located ?

7 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

Na, he didn't use that; that's a Zenit E1 MK-IV potato, it may Russian but they take great pictures. After all, them Ruskies know their potatoes!  

So it was this one then : 

:D 

GenTLe

Ok, so it is the same movement present in my Nomos Ahoi and in the JD grande second. You can't do anything as the noise is caused by the "magic lever" system used to autowind the movement, similar to the one used by Seiko movement (but Seiko makes it better).