Sign in to follow this  
tesmith2112

Dial Off-Center

tesmith2112

As you can see below, my Milgauss dial has moved. Movement is a 2836. What's the best way of fixing this on my own?

Any advise is much appreciated.

IMG_0694.jpg

Silverspeed

The dial needs to come off and mounted in the correct position

Luthier

Moved by itself??? WTF???

MikeMcNair

take off caseback, take out crown, take out case holding screws, take out movement with dial attached.

then, remove hands, seperate dial from movement (it is likely just held on with 3 pieces of small dial tape) and place it back on in the proper orientation.

reverse steps for reassembly/ the only things you would need are a small screw driver, a ball of duct tape, and a hands remover (which CAN BE DONE with tweezers and or tooth picks)

easy peasy.

Member X

That sounds really easy but I think it can be quite challenging :) lol

You need to press a small button near where the stem enters the movement to release / replace the stem.

I would let it run completely flat then set the time to (what should be) 12 midday so you know where the hands need to go back. (Hopefully will mean that the date changes over at the right time, then!)

Make sure you don't have greasy hands and make sure you have one of those lint-free glasses clothes to clean the inside of the crystal and case if it gets dirty!

KeNnY

please take a look at my tutorial of disassembling the DSSD, it will be the same procedure for your milgaus, on one picture there you will see how is the dial mounted.

s6301349.jpg

s6301350.jpg

there will be two small screws on the sides

Silverspeed

A 2836 will have movement clamps instead of screws

tesmith2112

Are there any good illustrated directions (pics or vid) for removing the crown? I think once I remove the crown I'll be good to go the rest of the way.

Thanks!

tesmith2112

Here's a picture of the movement. How do I remove the crown?

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

KBH

It's rather impossible for a dial to move if it's using the original dial feet attached to the movement. New watches normally don't have dials attached with tape. Unless this one has had a dial or movement change from original, the only way the dial can move is along with the movement. And it sure can't go far with the stem connected through the case. Also, if the dial has moved you should be able to see that the date is no longer centered in the date window.

From the pictures, I see you're missing the movement holders, unless you've already taken them out. I'm also not seeing a dial foot in the hole where it should be in the top picture where the little hook looking thing is. Looks like somebody did a movement or dial swap on this one and cut the feet off.

KBH

Also, to take the stem out, use a small 1.2mm screwdriver in the slot to the right of the stem. Some people say do it from the winding position. I've always done it from the time setting position. Don't use a sharp object and push the stem release in past the slot or you'll be in a world of trouble fixing the keyless works. Also you may have to push in the button slightly when re-inserting the stem. Go slow and don't force anything.

tesmith2112

KBH - Yes you're right, I think this was a dial swap. PWC only offers the White and GV dial in the clone, but I wanted the Black Dial. I guess Robert had one of his guys do the dial swap, and they most likely used some sort of adhesive rather than the movement holders. I'll attempt to remove the crown and then the movement. I'll post more pics of how the dial was attached once I get to it.

Thanks again!

Member X

Good luck! :boobies:

tesmith2112

This would fall under the Major Fail category, but it was a learning experience.

The crown came out fine, but the dial fell off (along with the hands) when I removed the movement from the case. Everything went to shit pretty much after that. Looks like the dial was attached to the movement by some sort of adhesive, clearly not very well. I think I killed the movement when I attempted to push the crown back in. It came out easy, but I guess I was doing something wrong when I tried to re-insert it. I basically pushed the same spot to remove it, when I tried to re-insert it, but I just couldn't get it in all the way. I tried to force it and something flew off the back. I'm not sure what it was or where it came from, but it was small and it's hiding in my carpet now.

If I buy a new movement, is it possible to have this put back together? Everything else seems in good shape. Of course something would have to be done so the dial doesn't come loose again.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

KBH

Sounds like you need to find a good local repair guy. Where are you located?

tesmith2112

I'm in Nashville.

KBH

Sorry, I can't help you there.

I can't imagine what piece flew out though. Installing a stem isn't a reason that any loose pieces could normally fly out.

My only suggestion is to contact Robert and have him look at this thread and see if you can get him to have his guy to put this back together for you. It was kind of his fault if his guy built this watch and the dial moved on you. I doubt if he'd have a problem fixing it. Even if you paid him for the repair, it would probably be as cheap as trying to have it repaired locally.

Luthier

Ask mikemcnair, he is a wizard.

MikeMcNair
(it is likely just held on with 3 pieces of small dial tape)

:thepianohasbeendrinking:

i need to see CLOSE UP PIX of your movement, in any and all angles, perhaps we can find out what flew away, and i can send you a replacement.

also, are you aware the crown stem is actually hexagonal in shape? when trying to insert it, did you lightly rotate the crown so it could find its hexagonal "hole" to go into?

gottahaverolex

I have a perfect 2836 Swiss ETA I'll sell ya if you need a movement. It's out of my V2 DSSD. runs perfectly and was serviced as soon as I got it. LMK!

Edited by gottahaverolex