GingerApple

Rep Friendly Watchsmith Directory

GingerApple

Wouldn't it be great to have access to a  list of commercial watchsmiths who are prepared to work on reps (I'm not talking about watchsmiths who are already forum members)? Organised by country and region say.

I get that the world is a big place and we're unlikely to be able to cover much of it, but I bet that if those of you who know of a rep friendly, local watchsmith were to PM me their details, I could add it to a fledgling database and a useful resource would be born.

I haven't given much thought to this yet and I can already forsee certain problems. For example if we were to seek the approval of said local watchsmith before putting their details on here, I'd imagine a lot would refuse. So I think it would have to be done without their knowledge. If that were the case, if you intended to use that watchsmith, you'd have to approach them sneakily - ie not mention that you got their details on a dodgy online directory! For that reason, I'd propose that if this Directory gets off the ground, access should be limited to VIP/Supporters - which may even encourage non-members to join; I think this could be a really handy resource.

Any thoughts anyone? Admin types? Good idea? Bad idea? Stoooopid idea?

greengoat

Great idea. Also like the thought of putting it in the VIP section as then it's also not search from outside... wouldn't want the watchsmiths customers to Google them and have us come up. 

Junior88
3 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

Wouldn't it be great to have access to a  list of commercial watchsmiths who are prepared to work on reps (I'm not talking about watchsmiths who are already forum members)? Organised by country and region say.

I get that the world is a big place and we're unlikely to be able to cover much of it, but I bet that if those of you who know of a rep friendly, local watchsmith were to PM me their details, I could add it to a fledgling database and a useful resource would be born.

I haven't given much thought to this yet and I can already forsee certain problems. For example if we were to seek the approval of said local watchsmith before putting their details on here, I'd imagine a lot would refuse. So I think it would have to be done without their knowledge. If that were the case, if you intended to use that watchsmith, you'd have to approach them sneakily - ie not mention that you got their details on a dodgy online directory! For that reason, I'd propose that if this Directory gets off the ground, access should be limited to VIP/Supporters - which may even encourage non-members to join; I think this could be a really handy resource.

Any thoughts anyone? Admin types? Good idea? Bad idea? Stoooopid idea?

Holy shit. Great idea. 

What did you have for breakfast that made you so smart today ?

RepGuy

Many watchsmiths may not want their names associated with rep work, especially if they also do legitimate work with gen brands like Rolex or Omega. If it got out that some of these watchsmiths work on replicas, they could lose customers and the ability to source parts from certain brands.

GingerApple
1 hour ago, greengoat said:

Like the thought of putting it in the VIP section as then it's also not search from outside... wouldn't want the watchsmiths customers to Google them and have us come up. 

Exactly.

48 minutes ago, 88juniorfan said:

Holy shit. Great idea. 

What did you have for breakfast that made you so smart today ?

I'm not just a pretty face buddy.

GingerApple
28 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

Many watchsmiths may not want their names associated with rep work, especially if they also do legitimate work with gen brands like Rolex or Omega. If it got out that some of these watchsmiths work on replicas, they could lose customers and the ability to source parts from certain brands.

Totally agree - hence is a secret thing and VIP only. The watchsmiths would have to remain blissfully unaware that they're in the Directory. It's a trust thing, hence VIP only. It's like buying a watch using PayPal payments - they're are important rules, no mention of watches etc - similarly this would only be for trusted, established members who know the rules (ie, no mention of the directory/watch fora).

RUSH2112

Yeah, i don’t think most watchmakers want to be on a list as being cool with replicas.  

RepGuy
3 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Totally agree - hence is a secret thing and VIP only. The watchsmiths would have to remain blissfully unaware that they're in the Directory. It's a trust thing, hence VIP only. It's like buying a watch using PayPal payments - they're are important rules, no mention of watches etc - similarly this would only be for trusted, established members who know the rules (ie, no mention of the directory/watch fora).

In a perfect world, I would agree about the VIP section keeping it under control. Unfortunately, this information would get out eventually, with it being the internet, and these watchsmiths would potentially be in a bad place.

I don't agree about hiding the list from the watchsmiths who are on it though. That's their reputation and business, and they would need a say as to if they even wanted to be on this hypothetical list.

My advice is still not to do it.

GingerApple

Fair enough - was just throwing it out there.

Junior88

In theory, would have been great for those of us that could use it. 

Perhaps not in practice, however. 

BadPickle

Bad idea, 

RWG school of fake watch collecting. 

day 1 

lesson 1 

ALWAYS STICK TO THE TRUSTED DEALERS, trusted for a reason

end of lesson

GingerApple
23 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Bad idea, 

RWG school of fake watch collecting. 

day 1 

lesson 1 

ALWAYS STICK TO THE TRUSTED DEALERS, trusted for a reason

end of lesson

I've still never read the introductory emails lol. Why bother when you can 'search' using the shoutybox :rofl:

BadPickle
7 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

I've still never read the introductory emails lol. Why bother when you can 'search' using the shoutybox :rofl:

:lol: 

same here, why read when you can just ask ;)