basteri

gold plating

basteri

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone ever sent a watch to be plating in gold?  I recently got a Royal oak rep in lizard strap which I have not received as yet. 
The watch looks lovely and I was thinking that perhaps a gold plating could be awesome. I am clueless if that is indeed possible or utterly expensive. Let alone finding the right jeweler to do it.
Thanks for reading me.
b

DeehNorris

I think I may echo other user's thoughts when I say that, while gold plating may look good in the short term, in the long term with even careful use, it would probably wear off. 

As for the pricing, I read somewhere that it's quite expensive and not worth the effort, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  

Jasonbaylee

I came across reading somewhere that Gold wrapping with 15microns is great!

"There are more than 1 road to Rome...."

VMSG
4 hours ago, basteri said:

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone ever sent a watch to be plating in gold?  I recently got a Royal oak rep in lizard strap which I have not received as yet. 
The watch looks lovely and I was thinking that perhaps a gold plating could be awesome. I am clueless if that is indeed possible or utterly expensive. Let alone finding the right jeweler to do it.
Thanks for reading me.
b

I don't know, i'm happy with my RG watch. but if you do send for a replate - please share the results

SilverG

+1.  I'd also like to know a good source for replating, or even better a source that wraps.

hamzah2

gold plating is very simple to do on stainless steel bracelets or clasps/buckles. Alu or other metals may need more work.

Also the finish will only look as good as the metal underneath it. If you want a mirror finish (like the back of the old ipods) you need the metal under the gold plating to be that finish. If the links are of a grainy matte finish to begin with, they will be a grainy matte gold once plated. 

(i used to do custom gold plating so just thought id share the above)

IMG00013-20110205-1141.jpg

IMG00029-20110205-1303.jpg

IMG00045-20110205-1422.jpg

occidio

How much did you charge (if you offered it as a service)?