xray

First rep buying advice needed

xray

Hey, folks.

I had a replica Panerai that I had my heart set on, but then I saw a video regarding Russell Crow selling his some of his watch collection. Then I saw one that I must have. Video posted below starting where the watch is first seen.

So I looked around for it on the TD websites and I found what looks like the exact watch and strap:

http://www.silix-prime.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_152&products_id=3808

If anyone is familiar with that replica, I'd appreciate some advice.

As far as Replicas go, is it something I can expect to last for years? I wouldn't wear it much, just for occasions where I want to show off, and I don't really get out much. :)

The video is obviously very high quality and the pics on the replica website, not so much. Can I expect it to look like the real thing, including the sharpness of the letters and numbers on the face?

Will the strap be comparable to the real thing, or would I be best off buying a strap from one of the trusted strap makers listed?

Thanks.

Wriggles

First get reading, you need to understand what involved or things may not work out the way you expect and it answers most things you're asking and more.

Second, if you're going to be buying this to show off 'hey look at my genuine very expensive Panerai' then you're in this for the wrong reasons and that attitude won't be much appreciated around the forums.

Third, there is a thread on all things Panerai, it's on RWI another forum, go find it and read it, it has everything you can ever find out about Panerai replicas. 

GingerApple

But, yeah, a good Panerai rep is all but indistinguishable from Gen. They're amazing. Most decent reps are amazing. I LOVE reps!!!

I'm not sure about that particular model, but good Reps kick arse.

xray
38 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

First get reading, you need to understand what involved or things may not work out the way you expect and it answers most things you're asking and more.

Second, if you're going to be buying this to show off 'hey look at my genuine very expensive Panerai' then you're in this for the wrong reasons and that attitude won't be much appreciated around the forums.

Third, there is a thread on all things Panerai, it's on RWI another forum, go find it and read it, it has everything you can ever find out about Panerai replicas. 

I have no idea what your first sentence means.

I see you've read into what I've said with your "hey, look at my watch" comment. It's not why I'm in the market for a watch, but if it was, why would you or anyone else care? If I wanted a watch to show off, it would be my business and if anyone on this forum didn't appreciate that, I don't care. I doubt your sentiment represents the majority of folks on this forum. Your pre-conceived judgment isn't much appreciated by this forum member.

Gingerbubba, thanks for the reply. Makes me feel a little more confident in pulling the trigger. Hopefully someone has some info regarding this particular model.

RepGuy
3 minutes ago, xray said:

I have no idea what your first sentence means.

I see you've read into what I've said with your "hey, look at my watch" comment. It's not why I'm in the market for a watch, but if it was, why would you or anyone else care? If I wanted a watch to show off, it would be my business and if anyone on this forum didn't appreciate that, I don't care. I doubt your sentiment represents the majority of folks on this forum. Your pre-conceived judgment isn't much appreciated by this forum member.

Gingerbubba, thanks for the reply. Makes me feel a little more confident in pulling the trigger. Hopefully someone has some info regarding this particular model.

Use the search bad and read reviews on the replica you want.

xray
28 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

Use the search bad and read reviews on the replica you want.

The only info on the silix-prime site regarding the watch I'm looking for info on is that it's model PANS076. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Edited by xray

McGilli
3 hours ago, xray said:

Hey, folks.

As far as Replicas go, is it something I can expect to last for years? 

Can I expect it to look like the real thing, including the sharpness of the letters and numbers on the face?

Will the strap be comparable to the real thing, or would I be best off buying a strap from one of the trusted strap makers listed?

Based on every question that you posted in your opening - As Wriggles said - you need to start reading. Researching. Reading. Then more research. Not even just on this forum. Just post your questions into Google and all over the web.

But I will answer your questions based on my experience:

1. Maybe. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

The question is "what are you willing to do if it breaks in a month? Or a year?" This isn't amazon. You can't just print out a pre-paid return shipping label. There is much more to that question of yours you need to research and think about if you really want to go down this path.

2. Maybe. Sometimes they can, sometimes they don't. Many factors such as who made it and basically what tier you are buying in to.

3. Maybe. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not close. Many factors such as who made it and basically what tier you are buying in to. And if you ever, ever want to try and fool someone you better pay high $ and get ready to be called out as a fake regardless. Just be prepared.

There you go. You can just ask a few questions and hope to buy the best rep you can get - and maybe - maybe you will get it. Or you can read, research, talk to the TD's, learn about the different tiers of pricing and what to expect in them. Etc. 

Otherwise if you just want a piece to show off and impress on occasion - then talk to the TD's - tell them you want the best most expensive rep of that watch and there you go. 

Will it still last years? Maybe... Maybe it will arrive DOA.. again... if you're not prepared to deal with that then just walk away now. Just trying to save you any trouble.

Good luck.

Wriggles
3 hours ago, xray said:

just for occasions where I want to show off

kinda hard to not take that any other way....

As to whether my comments weren't appreciated by you, I couldn't give one flying fuck what you think, you asked for opinions I gave mine. Don't like it? Well, leave the internet then. Already off to a great start #3

McGilli
6 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

As to whether my comments weren't appreciated by you, I couldn't give one flying fuck what you think, you asked for opinions I gave mine. Don't like it? Well, leave the internet then. Already off to a great start #3

WTF is Glaude?!?!? I'm doing his work for him today! And a good day to all....

Wriggles
6 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Probably stuffing his face with cheese and snails.... :lol:

xray
20 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

It's actually not hard to take other ways, but you'd need to have more than half a brain.

Wanting to "show off" for certain occasions can mean one wants to look great regardless of how much something being worn costs or what brand it is and not "hey look at my genuine very expensive Panerai."

Funny that you don't give a flying fuck what I think, but you care to tell me what ignorant asses such as yourself would think of me. If you didn't care what I thought, you would have felt the need to respond instead of taking your own advice and leaving the Internet.

deju

If you want it for occasions to show off as a gen Panerai owner let me tell you that little to no one knows this brand. 

If you want one to last then I would say a no date 111 is the best bet. 

Wriggles
1 hour ago, xray said:

It's actually not hard to take other ways, but you'd need to have more than half a brain.

Wanting to "show off" for certain occasions can mean one wants to look great regardless of how much something being worn costs or what brand it is and not "hey look at my genuine very expensive Panerai."

Funny that you don't give a flying fuck what I think, but you care to tell me what ignorant asses such as yourself would think of me. If you didn't care what I thought, you would have felt the need to respond instead of taking your own advice and leaving the Internet.

Ah another one straight in the door and getting abusive to members over nothing. What a brave keyboard warrior you are. I made three points, The second of which you took umbrage with, even though all it pointed out was that in general rep owners don't appreciate or like those who pass off reps as gens. Your comment was very easily taken the way I took as much as you like to deny it, a bit close to the truth perhaps.  And if you think thats a minority viewpoint well you've a lot to learn.

But rather than just saying that wasn't your intention you decided to have a go. Aren't you just great. Well done you. You've fought the big bad people. Give yourself a pat on the back.

xray
32 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

Ah another one straight in the door and getting abusive to members over nothing. What a brave keyboard warrior you are. I made three points, The second of which you took umbrage with, even though all it pointed out was that in general rep owners don't appreciate or like those who pass off reps as gens. Your comment was very easily taken the way I took as much as you like to deny it, a bit close to the truth perhaps.  And if you think thats a minority viewpoint well you've a lot to learn.

But rather than just saying that wasn't your intention you decided to have a go. Aren't you just great. Well done you. You've fought the big bad people. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Getting abusive towards members? Show me what was abusive. What you just quoted me on was in response to this quote by you:

"kinda hard to not take that any other way....

As to whether my comments weren't appreciated by you, I couldn't give one flying fuck what you think, you asked for opinions I gave mine. Don't like it? Well, leave the internet then. Already off to a great start #3"

Why is it over nothing when I say it but not you? I said nothing about wanting to pass off a rep as a gen. Whether or not it can be taken a certain way is irrelevant; what's relevant is that it can also be taken another way. But you chose to be the keyboard warrior. I didn't deny that it can be taken another way. Nice straw man you've built. A bit closer to the truth perhaps? So if someone denies something, it's because it's close to true? Strong logic there. 

I decided to have a go? You should re-read the order of statements. You seem a bit confused. 

Edited by xray

Wriggles

There is zero confusion here. You seem to have comprehension issues but I can't  do much about that. You've your viewpoint, I have mine. I could attempt to argue this point all day but I have better things to do with my oxygen than waste time with you. 

RepGuy
50 minutes ago, xray said:

Getting abusive towards members? Show me what was abusive. What you just quoted me on was in response to this quote by you:

"kinda hard to not take that any other way....

As to whether my comments weren't appreciated by you, I couldn't give one flying fuck what you think, you asked for opinions I gave mine. Don't like it? Well, leave the internet then. Already off to a great start #3"

Why is it over nothing when I say it but not you? I said nothing about wanting to pass off a rep as a gen. Whether or not it can be taken a certain way is irrelevant; what's relevant is that it can also be taken another way. But you chose to be the keyboard warrior. I didn't deny that it can be taken another way. Nice straw man you've built. A bit closer to the truth perhaps? So if someone denies something, it's because it's close to true? Strong logic there. 

I decided to have a go? You should re-read the order of statements. You seem a bit confused. 

Spend less time arguing, and more time reading. We have too many new members who come here to ask questions without researching for a quick answer, so understand where some other members are coming from.

You're off to a good start by finding the comparable replica from a TD, but nobody can really give you a solid answer to your other points. Replicas vary in quality widely, even between pieces in the same batch, so it's tough to gauge some of the more obscure models, as not too many people buy them and write reviews.

xray
23 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

There is zero confusion here. You seem to have comprehension issues but I can't  do much about that. You've your viewpoint, I have mine. I could attempt to argue this point all day but I have better things to do with my oxygen than waste time with you. 

Apparently you'd rather do what you've been doing. Either that or you can't control yourself. I don't mind differing viewpoints. Viewpoints have not been the issue. 

xray
21 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

Spend less time arguing, and more time reading. We have too many new members who come here to ask questions without researching for a quick answer, so understand where some other members are coming from.

You're off to a good start by finding the comparable replica from a TD, but nobody can really give you a solid answer to your other points. Replicas vary in quality widely, even between pieces in the same batch, so it's tough to gauge some of the more obscure models, as not too many people buy them and write reviews.

What I have been arguing has zero to do with failure to research. I have researched. I see nothing wrong with posting here trying to get "quick" answers. It's a big part of what message boards are for. There's nothing wrong with asking about a particular watch I couldn't find any info on. If someone had experience with that particular one, it would be nice to share opinions and info with me and others that may find this thread in the future.

I have a feeling if the exact same conversation happened but with the comments in reverse, it would be the other person getting piled on. Part of being new and not being part of the "club." I know how it goes.

Glaude
3 hours ago, McGilli said:

I'm coming, I'm coming !

3 hours ago, Wriggles said:

Probably stuffing his face with cheese and snails.... :lol:

Only cheese, can't stand snails ! ;) 

@xray

You were off to a good start, going to the TD website, looking for a model you liked and then going on the board and doing research.
The lack of result is due to you not knowing what the real Panerai model is, so you weren't able to do a proper search.

There's no real problem with wanting a quick answer, but you have to understand that how people respond to you depend only on how you formulate your message, you can't be mad at people if they understood your message the wrong way.
Correct them on what you meant and all is good.
You, mentioning showing off just triggered a reaction because it's a bad move to wear a rep and showing it off as the gen, and as far as we knew from the start, there was no indication of the contrary in your post.

You know it's the internet, you'll face personality that you don't get along with, best thing to do is to ignore that and don't react to it or take it with some humour.

RepGuy
18 minutes ago, xray said:

What I have been arguing has zero to do with failure to research. I have researched. I see nothing wrong with posting here trying to get "quick" answers. It's a big part of what message boards are for. There's nothing wrong with asking about a particular watch I couldn't find any info on. If someone had experience with that particular one, it would be nice to share opinions and info with me and others that may find this thread in the future.

I have a feeling if the exact same conversation happened but with the comments in reverse, it would be the other person getting piled on. Part of being new and not being part of the "club." I know how it goes.

Hey now, I answered your question on quality in my reply. I would appreciate a thank you along the lines of "Thanks Papa RepGuy".

xray
1 minute ago, Glaude said:

you can't be mad at people if they understood your message the wrong way.

How about after explaining it they still behave like a jackass? Can I be mad at them then?

xray
1 minute ago, RepGuy said:

Hey now, I answered your question on quality in my reply. I would appreciate a thank you along the lines of "Thanks Papa RepGuy".

Oh you would, would you? After claiming you don't blame someone for posting towards me in a completely rude manner for no good reason whatsoever, I'm not about to thank you for anything.

Glaude
2 minutes ago, xray said:

How about after explaining it they still behave like a jackass? Can I be mad at them then?

I think you made yourself pretty clear on that, but you also did it with a little passive-aggressive way of writing, that triggered the rest of your exchange with Wriggles, bad start that's all

GingerApple
22 minutes ago, xray said:

Part of being new and not being part of the "club." I know how it goes.

Yeah, pretty much. Picking on noobs is one of my favourite hobbies on here. Although I like picking on the forum moderators more. Especially TitsMcGee. He looks a lot like Elmer Fudd. Really. He's the one responsible for my picture/avatar and personal description. I can't change it because he just changes it back. Fun and games.  Welcome though. 

xray
2 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I think you made yourself pretty clear on that, but you also did it with a little passive-aggressive way of writing, that triggered the rest of your exchange with Wriggles, bad start that's all

Any commentary on the other guy's posts? Or do I deserve it because of what I "triggered"?