semperfi55

Review - A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Moonphase

semperfi55

The Watch

As a dress watch kinda guy, A. Lange & Söhne is my go-to brand (he says, walking towards the Tesco reduced section).  However, there seems to be less demand for ALS watches in the rep world.  I say that because it seems like most models on offer have some sort of obvious spelling mistake or another. Or that the factories believe that ALS has moved to Swtizerland :rolleyes: 

The closest rep watch I found is the Saxonia Thin which I will get at some point. The Saxonia Moonphase is a close second.

Gen RRP: £25,000

The Rep

Got this lovely watch on M2M from garyepw. He bought the watch last August from theonewatches.ru, so the watch is about 8 months old at this point. But it has no scratches, no signs of wear: practically mint condition on arrival. Bargain!

41354316532_552f65009a_b.jpg

TD Specs (theonewatches.ru)

One of the best Alange Sohne replica up to date!
MOVEMENT: Asia 23J Automatic with decorated & signed Gold Rotor & decorated bridges/swan neck regulator
CASE DIAMETER:
 40mm
THICKNESS:
 14mm
DIAL COLOR:
 White Dial with SS Stick Markers (Date window at 12:00)
CASE MATERIAL:
 Solid Stainless Steel 316L
BRACELET:
 Leather strap with Tang Buckle
FRONT GLASS:
 Sapphire Crystal 
CASE BACK: Display case back with detailed engraving
CLASP TYPE: Tang Buckle 
DATE INDICATOR: At 12:00 (Adjusted via pusher at 11:00 & recessed pusher at 4:00 - Each adjust one side of the date wheel)  
OTHER REMARKS: Waterproofed to 10m direct from Factory 

Dimensions

The gen is 40mm in diameter and 9.8mm thick. For my watch, they've got it pretty spot on for diameter but thickness is 13.5mm. The watch is a beast when looking at it sideways.

41397640751_b6b803f09c_b.jpg41397639481_592eeb3a61_b.jpg

Dial

Very beautiful dial. I love the detail in the seconds subdial and moonphase. Overall I think they've got the "essence" of what an ALS watch looks like. Sure, the date window is smaller and lower in the rep.  The details on the moonphase is not as finished as the gen probably. But for 150 quid I say it's pretty spot on!

40502247405_d8aa28b1cc_b.jpg26526922177_6987658d32_b.jpg

Movement

Not 100% sure which specific movement used in this watch but it is decorated. Quite a bit of effort has been put into decorating it but I'm sure there's a few tell-tale signs. But who cares, I'm not taking this watch off for anyone to inspect.  Thank goodness there are no spelling mistakes nor any references to Swiss-made on the caseback!

The small second hand has a very smooth sweep. But that rotor! Sounds like a chainsaw on my wrist whenever I shake it. Will probably benefit from a tiny bit of oiling.

41354398092_6702d65fd4_b.jpg40683394014_e250f056ba_b.jpg

Functions

The pusher at 11:00 is for the date and works fine. Recessed pusher at 4:00 is for the moonphase, easy to use. Played around with the moonphase and it's moving smoothly.

Strap

I'd say the leather strap is of moderate quality. Nice, sturdy strap printed with the brand. Definitely not a cheap plastic strap.  

26526939427_243bc2d765_b.jpg

Accuracy

No idea, get a quartz. Not too fussed with the moonphase accuracy either. It'll be off if I don't wear it for a few days anyway.  But I did find this site useful for setting the moonphase when needed. Gives a visual reference on how your moonphase should look like  presently.

http://www.giangrandi.ch/soft/mooncalc/mooncalc.shtml

Overall

It is an elegant dress watch! I do have some concerns on the thickness but it seems to be fine under my shirt cuffs. Loud rotor. But all these negatives evaporate when I look at that beautiful dial! :D

If you're an ALS fan and somewhat fussed about accurate details, the Saxonia Moonphase would be your best bet.

semperfi55

Just realised iPhone photos are pretty crap. My DSLR has just gone kaput and needs a repair. 

Thommo82

Lovely looking watch mate and a great review to boot!

@Glaude I think you may like the look of this one mate

Glaude
20 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Lovely looking watch mate and a great review to boot!

@Glaude I think you may like the look of this one mate

Definitely to my tastes ! Thanks mate !

The only downside for me is I find it a little too thick, around 11 mm would have been ideal.

Great review OP ;) 

McGilli
52 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Overall

It is an elegant dress watch! I do have some concerns on the thickness but it seems to be fine under my shirt cuffs. Loud rotor. But all these negatives evaporate when I look at that beautiful dial! :D

If you're an ALS fan and somewhat fussed about accurate details, the Saxonia Moonphase would be your best bet.

Nice review. Simple, to the point, pictures show what you are talking about. I'd encourage you to do some more reviews of watches. Even though I know of guys here getting watches non-stop - very few ever take the time to post a detailed review. 

It's not my type of watch - but - that's actually not what I look for in a review. I can enjoy a good review of any product.

Yours was a good, quick read - thanks for posting.

FunnyStarSystem

This is lovely, as was your review. I've been hesitant to purchase this watch because of the thickness, and 40mm looks a little silly on my caveman wrist - but you may have just convinced me. So this is a full 130ish click moonphase? I have a couple gen moonphase and just love setting them, I use moongiant, but I appreciate the site you shared.

~cheers!

semperfi55

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate it!

@McGilli Will be putting up reviews as I get the watches, might be getting a Blancpain soon, one that is not yet reviewed here. I did buy a JLC recently but Glaude has an incredibly detailed review of it so no point for me to repeat.

@funnystarsystem I'm really new to moonphase watches so I'm not sure if it's a 59 or 135 toothed gear. If it's 59 toothed does it mean that I have to push the recessed pusher 59 times to make a full lap? Cheers for sharing moongiant, it has more info! Mine was just the first result on google I think ;)

McGilli
1 hour ago, semperfi55 said:

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate it!

@McGilliI did buy a JLC recently but Glaude has an incredibly detailed review of it so no point for me to repeat.

As you wish but I disagree.

That is Glaude's review. That's like saying once someone does a good Rolex Sub review - no point in anyone else every posting another. Not true. Still, up to you but people like to see watches on different people, and how it works for you. Might help persuade, or prevent someone from buying so it's always good. 

I always read more than 1 good review of what I want to buy :) Good luck, look forward to more.

paccbet

Very simple and elegant. Thanks for your time reviewing. People like you make this forum great.

semperfi55

@McGilli Fair point actually. Will get round to another review! :)

@paccbet Cheers mate, too kind!

HTA
On 4/13/2018 at 04:44, semperfi55 said:

The Rep

Got this lovely watch on M2M from garyepw. He bought the watch last August from theonewatches.ru, so the watch is about 8 months old at this point. But it has no scratches, no signs of wear: practically mint condition on arrival. Bargain!

41354316532_552f65009a_b.jpg

Thanks for the info!

You're so lucky. I've been looking for this great looking rep since it's no longer made anymore.

If you ever decide to let it go at some point in the future, make sure to send me a message :)

Edited by HTA

semperfi55
1 hour ago, HTA said:

Thanks for the info!

You're so lucky. I've been looking for this great looking rep since it's no longer made anymore.

If you ever decide to let it go at some point in the future, make sure to send me a message :)

Really? Have you checked with Mary the TD? Email her.  She can find watches that other TD claim out of production. If she can't source a watch, then nobody can.

Let us know if you have any luck with it!

Will do, but highly unlikely! ;) I love ALS watches, so will be clinging onto them!

Edited by semperfi55

Orangutan

Detailed review of a rep of a beauty of a watch, just not sure I could live with thickness - but then as you say, we can not be too picky if the rep factory can capture the "essence" of some of these more rare watches. Without volume it would be too expensive for them to get as detailed as copy as on a Submariner.

You give me passion to try something more obscure like this, thanks semperfi!

semperfi55
18 hours ago, Orangutan said:

to try something more obscure

Thanks for the kind words!

The thickness is a deal breaker for many people, which is fair enough. But, you do get used to bigger or thicker watches than what you were used to initially. 

While it is great fun hunting for less well-known reps, you do need to make a few compromises along the way. As you say, the factories won't put in as much effort compared to the ever-popular Subs. 

PM me if you need any help with picking out more obscure dress watches :)

If you're after thin watches, I just reviewed a 9mm thick Breguet Classique 5177. That is a beauty too!

raspymcnasty

Thats the one thing that holds me back from buying. That thickness is just too thick! 9.8 is far off from 13mm. Thanks for the review!

jennyleee

Just lovely. I dress far too casual at work to justify even a rep, but tempted after reading this review.

Brigate

I love A Lange & Söhne watches so much! Unfortunately it seems to be that these watches are most difficult ones to clone.

Does somebody knows a dealer within EU with fantastic A Lange & Söhne Replicas?

Glaude
12 hours ago, Brigate said:

I love A Lange & Söhne watches so much! Unfortunately it seems to be that these watches are most difficult ones to clone.

Not on this board.

Narikaa has some UK stock sometime, but I've never seen an ALS in it, but you should ask him.

Ask another TD also, EU dealers are rare and not that useful, pick any other TD and they'll make sure you get your watch safe and sound ;) 

semperfi55
On 30/07/2018 at 12:45, Brigate said:

Glaude is right as usual, don’t know any EU vendors. If you’re worried about customs, most TDS can do U.K. trans-shipment which should minimise customs risk.

Either that or wait patiently for an EU based ALS M2M listing on the forums, but you’ll have to beat me to it :p

Marow

what a great looking piece, thank you for the review!

semperfi55
40 minutes ago, Marow said:

what a great looking piece, thank you for the review!

Thanks for the kind words :) 

Wongsun

sorry,guys

Edited by Wongsun
Sorry,i put the pic in wrong topic :(

FudgyDocker
27 minutes ago, Wongsun said:

hey guys,can someone tell me about this one?

Why are you asking about a Glashutte by necroposting in the ALS section, numpty?

Glaude
On 19/09/2019 at 07:51, Wongsun said:

hey guys,can someone tell me about this one?

It's a watch, not the same as the one reviewed here, not the same brand either, anything else ?