semperfi55

State of the Collection: Pre and Post RWG Eras

markismyname
On 12/04/2018 at 18:30, Glaude said:

If only there was even a section of the forum dedicated to that ... 

LZJbMP4.jpg

..... :badger:

A whole new world opened up :) Thank you!

markismyname
On 02/10/2018 at 11:30, MAJ75 said:

I must admit I generally think @Waspy is speaking with a great deal of sense here.....

@semperfi55 I love the way that you are documenting your ongoing journey (descent) into madness (nice to have a record for posterity). I actually feel quite jealous as you are treading a well-worn path of discovery, it wasn't so long ago that I seemed to be awaiting a new package what seemed like every week. I had TD purchases & M2M one after the other. I think it quietens down naturally for most after 12-18 months my peak was about 25 in total but the vast majority were $300 & above I never bought volumes of the cheaper/gate stuff. I had an eventual epiphany that things were getting out of hand & reflected on how much I had invested/spent/wasted & decided to thin down to around a dozen (currently 15) that I would wear in rotation. My willpower has been generally strong as I still wear a different piece everyday.

I do have some sadness that I now no longer see M2M pieces that I want to pick up or feel the need to contact a TD for the latest piece that I've decided I must have.

I still thoroughly enjoy the forums though & I religiously wear the remaining reps I have in the collection, my TC LV blows me away everytime I wear it & I love my ZF IWC's.

I now inhabit a much quieter less exciting world of making 1 to 2 purchases a year so I'll raise a glass to you & look forward to seeing your further adventures being eloquently documented & captured photographically.....

All the best,

Mark.

I'm happy to hear the Marks are still in the game after spending $7k in watches (I'm at ~$3k, 4 months in so far). I would say I'm slowing down but my daily research has intensified, the slow down part come in where I'll sit with my list of watches for a few weeks and if it's still exciting just thinking about the watch I'll pull the trigger.

markismyname
On 04/10/2018 at 01:24, Waspy said:

I too am a dilettante horologist.

I can now remove and replace batteries, spring bars, watch straps, SOME casebacks and adjust bracelets.

I have replaced (non-ceramic) inserts, destroying the old one in the process of course.

I can sometimes even remove a stem, a whole movement, dial and hands (as a complete unit). Sometimes I don't ruin the whole watch.

Building on this phenomenal success I bought a watch hands removal tool and actually got a set of hands off a watch.

So I just started thinking, 'I'm fucking George Daniels, me.'

Then I discovered I have no fucking clue how to get the hands back on,  they are just so tiny and refuse to go back on.

Youtube reveals I need to buy a hands-pressing-on gadget.

But even if I got one, I just know I will completely bollocks it up.

Onwards!

"I'm fucking Dr. George Daniels, me" I feel the same way and all I did was order watch repair tools on AliExpress and I haven't even gotten them yet.