semperfi55

State of the Collection: Pre and Post RWG Eras

semperfi55
On 18/07/2018 at 02:46, Glaude said:

Looks better without them to me

I think it's because I have the gen datejust with Roman numerals and minute markers, so in my head I expect it to be that way. That said, I've grown used to the pinky :)

On 18/07/2018 at 02:46, Glaude said:

suggest the use of some Polywatch

Ah I'll be needing that for the August watches, maybe ;)

On 18/07/2018 at 11:28, odoherc said:

wide and varied

Thanks mate, I do try to keep it varied but getting trapped by Royal Oaks and recently more Rolex :baghead:

Logixa

Great post @semperfi55

You sir, are diagnosed with the horological syndrome. Welcome to the club. Prepare to sell your house, car, children and rent out your wife for you watches. It's worth it. Trust me.

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Cheers.jpg

semperfi55

#3 End of July 2018

Phew after the collecting frenzy of May and June, I decided to cool down a bit. Or rather, reality got me to cool down a bit :lol: This also gives @McGilli a chance to catch up too. Thankfully, none of the watches this month broke the bank!

The Jumping Hours

29976874898_14ecfa2174_b.jpg

I received this Oris Artelier Jumping Hour as a graduation gift last month :D Absolutely love it! My brain got used to reading the time surprisingly quickly. The jumping of the hour digits is a delight to watch.

My first encounter with a jumping hour watch was a Armand Nicolet HS2 Jumping Hour. But those are expensive fuckers. The only thing jumping in that scenario would be my personal debt! This is one to save up for...

armand-nicolet-hs2.jpg

Funky.... but I like it!

Luch What We Have Here

29976874618_27086b531a_b.jpg

I liked the Luch of this design when I encountered it on one of the wrist check threads. Thankfully, these sell pretty cheap on eBay and I had the good Luch to bag one that had a decorated/engraved caseback with a small back display for the balance wheel.  

42943215945_f39f8dc41f_b.jpg

The Travelling Raketa

29976875048_5f7a57f194_b.jpg

Probably the cheapest World Time watch around. Unfortunately the cities used are very Soviet-centric, so none of your conventional international cities on the bezel. Great way to learn Russian language and geography!

F.W.I.S. 

42943212075_1b5c477080_b.jpg

This F.W.I.S. is probably why Omega has to call their Speedmaster F.O.I.S. I bought it mostly for the historical association. The dial is obviously a re-dial (which explains the cheap price) but the movement is definitely from the correct time period. 

The Yacht-Master

42943216175_9d02195aa0_b.jpg

Had to buy a decadent/materialistic watch to balance out the Communists of July (3 of 'em!). Yin and Yang. That's what the Cold War was about really. 

The crystal on this watch has a lot of micro-faults. It looks terrible on camera close-up  but looks spotless IRL. Before any WIS criticises this baby, it's a fuckin gate watch. Some polywatch required. Although polywatch does sound like the horological version of polygamy...

So that's all for July. Watch this space for August, some pretty interesting ones coming in ;) 

42038171280_b4e8ff1499_b.jpg

semperfi55
22 minutes ago, Logixa said:

Prepare to sell your house, car, children and rent out your wife for you watches.

Hah forget renting! I've sold futures on my future wife already.

Sometimes I panic about how deep I have fallen into the horology quagmire, but since Leo is giving me a reassuring smile, all is good :D 

Sigg

Fantastic, many thanks for sharing these pictures. Just starting out and find this quite inspirational. Got a bit more learning to do then will start expanding my own collection. Look forward to following your future acquisitions.  Cheers.

Glaude

That Armand Nicolet is gorgeous !

McGilli

Wow - this watch still has 4TB of storage left on it!!!!

29976875048_5f7a57f194_b.jpgGreat additions... Just the Rolex... I know it's the new one... but it doesn't fit in with the vibe of the others.... But A Rolex - spelled in Russian would be cool.....

semperfi55
On 10/08/2018 at 22:41, Sigg said:

Fantastic, many thanks for sharing these pictures. Just starting out and find this quite inspirational. Got a bit more learning to do then will start expanding my own collection. Look forward to following your future acquisitions.  Cheers.

Very honoured to have your first post on my thread! Any particular brands/types you’re going for?

On 10/08/2018 at 22:44, Glaude said:

That Armand Nicolet is gorgeous !

But so expensive (relatively), and no rep :(

On 11/08/2018 at 03:49, McGilli said:

this watch still has 4TB of storage left on it!!!

:rofl: It was a second Sputnik moment for the Yanks when they found out that Soviets were using watches as hard disk drives. That’s how the floppy disk was invented.

On 11/08/2018 at 03:49, McGilli said:

but it doesn't fit in with the vibe of the others

Mate, this month’s watches represent Russian history in a nutshell:  Soviet. Soviet. Soviet. Boom perestroika! Oligarch.

Sigg

Re the Brands. I need to get the whole Rolex/Omega thing out my system then move on to a few others. Breitling, AP and VC next, then onto something more unusual. Considering just now how big a watch box to go for. 

I like your Soviet watches, first time I have seen them. Cheers.

semperfi55
2 hours ago, Sigg said:

I need to get the whole Rolex/Omega thing

My equivalent is Rolex/AP. What I tried initially was to buy a rep per brand (reps that I would buy anyway, not buying for diversity's sake) and avoid buying too many of the same brand early on. That kinda unraveled pretty quickly so now my collection is weighted towards AP/Rolex.

2 hours ago, Sigg said:

onto something more unusual

That' s the spirit! I try to get the unusual ones first because there will always be an iteration of the Omega Moonwatch/Sub/Datejust rep perpetually but A. Lange & Sohne (example) is pretty much dropping out of the market. That's just my opinion, you do you :) 

If you're interested in Soviet watches, check out my Soviet thread in my signature. Other members have also posted their Soviet watches too :) 

Sigg
51 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

My equivalent is Rolex/AP. What I tried initially was to buy a rep per brand (reps that I would buy anyway, not buying for diversity's sake) and avoid buying too many of the same brand early on. That kinda unraveled pretty quickly so now my collection is weighted towards AP/Rolex.

That' s the spirit! I try to get the unusual ones first because there will always be an iteration of the Omega Moonwatch/Sub/Datejust rep perpetually but A. Lange & Sohne (example) is pretty much dropping out of the market. That's just my opinion, you do you :) 

If you're interested in Soviet watches, check out my Soviet thread in my signature. Other members have also posted their Soviet watches too :) 

Thanks for the advice.  I was lucky enough to receive a GEN Rolex years ago and have worn it for over 20 years. Although i have always loved watches it actually put me off getting any more. Looking to change that now. The funny thing is the majority of people i meet assume the GEN is a fake.  I like unusual also and the Soviet watches interest me, i like military watches also so will be looking out for them too. Anyway thanks again, will follow your post and acquisitions.