Rx4Time
8 minutes ago, lrnz said:

Thanks, and from how much atm do you feel 100% safe putting them in the pool?

The official threshold is 6 ATM.  I don't always test to that level, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't pass.  My personal threshold is anything above 3 ATM I'll take swimming, but I don't ever go deeper than 5 feet. 

lrnz
1 hour ago, teddy875 said:

The official threshold is 6 ATM.  I don't always test to that level, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't pass.  My personal threshold is anything above 3 ATM I'll take swimming, but I don't ever go deeper than 5 feet. 

Thanks, and what did you use to test your TC to 40atm?

(Assuming it’s not the machine used before as I don’t think it can test to 40 atm)

Edited by lrnz

Rx4Time
On 16/04/2018 at 02:47, lrnz said:

Thanks, and what did you use to test your TC to 40atm?

(Assuming it’s not the machine used before as I don’t think it can test to 40 atm)

That was tested by misiekiped when he installed a gen crystal and crown.  The tester I've got maxes out at

Luxuracer
16 hours ago, teddy875 said:

Bergeon style wet tester, picked up one on eBay....

Thanks ... Teddy!

lrnz
9 hours ago, teddy875 said:

That was tested by misiekiped when he installed a gen crystal and crown.  The tester I've got maxes out at 6 ATM. 

6Fqp12gae4e83dc8ff1b4b8.jpg
image1b45b7596c07fad44.jpg

I don’t even wanna know how much these cost :(... I have a Bergeon one in the lab that goes up to 12 atm ( on the scale ) if I’m not wrong,

but at 6 o’clock it becomes really difficult to pump , almost impossible, that’s why all my watches get tested to 6atm max... do you know how to fix this/ what to do?

Edited by lrnz

palaufreak
Always request the Chinese pube option when ordering a rep.
Satisfaction and possibly, longevity, guaranteed. 
Not sure if Narikaa can provide this option as his stock comes from Thailand. 
Welcome to the forum.
I think there's a small pube in the dial of my Pam. Sometimes I see it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rx4Time
9 hours ago, lrnz said:

I don’t even wanna know how much these cost :(... I have a Bergeon one in the lab that goes up to 12 atm ( on the scale ) if I’m not wrong,

but at 6 o’clock it becomes really difficult to pump , almost impossible, that’s why all my watches get tested to 6atm max... do you know how to fix this/ what to do?

It's ONLY  a Suggested retail price: $3,595...

As far as yours goes, unfortunately as the pressure increases it requires more force to pump it up.  Does yours have a valve you can hook it up to a compressor with? 

McGilli
2 minutes ago, teddy875 said:

Any experience with the cheaper ones on Amazon for ~$160USD? Or at least thoughts on them?

Rx4Time
42 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Any experience with the cheaper ones on Amazon for ~$160USD? Or at least thoughts on them?

That is what I use.  I'm not a professional, so as long as I can get an estimated pressure, I'm good with that.  I think mine cost about $170-180 shipped two years ago.  Works beautifully

McGilli
12 minutes ago, teddy875 said:

That is what I use.  I'm not a professional, so as long as I can get an estimated pressure, I'm good with that.  I think mine cost about $170-180 shipped two years ago.  Works beautifully

Awesome, thanks. 

I'm on the fence. I was thinking - I would only use it a handful of times. Is that worth the $? But then I'm thinking well - if I'm paying $2-400 per watch = of course it's worth the cost of verifying the seals on them.... Thanks again.

Rx4Time
17 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Awesome, thanks. 

I'm on the fence. I was thinking - I would only use it a handful of times. Is that worth the $? But then I'm thinking well - if I'm paying $2-400 per watch = of course it's worth the cost of verifying the seals on them.... Thanks again.

I test all of mine every spring now so it's paid for itself and taken the guesswork out of if I'm safe.  Plus I've got a couple of frankens which cost well over $1k which I definitely don't want to mess up.  Personally I don't want to have to worry about it regardless of which watch I'm wearing.  If you have a decent size collection, and want to use them around water it's well worth the cost upfront. 

lrnz
3 hours ago, teddy875 said:

As far as yours goes, unfortunately as the pressure increases it requires more force to pump it up.  Does yours have a valve you can hook it up to a compressor with? 

Don’t know about the compressor option, but I don’t think is plausible as I would have o bring a compressor in every time I test a watch ( or get the tester out ). 

Guess i’m stuck with 6 atm tests

I know it gets harder, but the problem is that it gets so hard it’s impossible to raise the pressure more. You start pumping with the watch not in water right?

Rx4Time
6 hours ago, lrnz said:

Don’t know about the compressor option, but I don’t think is plausible as I would have o bring a compressor in every time I test a watch ( or get the tester out ). 

Guess i’m stuck with 6 atm tests

I know it gets harder, but the problem is that it gets so hard it’s impossible to raise the pressure more. You start pumping with the watch not in water right?

yes always start with the watch above the water line...

IMG_20170526_230529.jpg

allow it 5 minutes to equalize pressure if there are any leaks, gently submurge...

IMG_20170526_230734.jpg

and SLOWLY let the pressure out...

IMG_20170526_230743.jpg

too fast and if there is a leak the crystal can potentially blow off.  If any significant stream of bubbles are noted it's failed.  A couple from under the bezel or other areas where air may be trapped is acceptable. 

lrnz

Thanks, exactly how I do it. Why don't you get the movement out when testing?

greengoat
16 minutes ago, teddy875 said:

If any significant stream of bubbles are noted it's failed.  A couple from under the bezel or other areas where air may be trapped is acceptable. 

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but if the watch fails the pressure test - significant steam or bubbles - does that mean that the water now has water in it and is effectively damaged, or because it is at pressure is the watch still dry inside? 

Rx4Time

This is a simple test setup intended to be done quickly and easily.  In the ones I've shown, I know they have previously passed and the design of this setup is such that as long as you pull the watch should a leak begin, no moisture will enter the watch. 

Rx4Time
45 minutes ago, greengoat said:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but if the watch fails the pressure test - significant steam or bubbles - does that mean that the water now has water in it and is effectively damaged, or because it is at pressure is the watch still dry inside? 

Should a gasket failure occur and the inside of the watch be pressurized, once you begin to release pressure the pressure will be higher inside the watch preventing water from entering the case.  This is why it's important to be watching carefully and pull it out of the water should you see that stream of bubbles because once they stop, pressure has equalized and water can enter the case. 

Rod
On 4/15/2018 at 05:00, teddy875 said:

I've been at this hobby for a couple of years now.  They only failure I've had we're the following... one I dropped the watch, one the reversing gear failed and a hand wind Panerai I snapped the mainspring.  A quick movement swap and the dropped one is good as new, the other a watchsmith serviced the movement and it's good or better then new.  This rep was a few years old.  The Panerai just needed a new spring and runs flawless.   I use the following general rules, I avoid and "superclone movements" and stick with tried and true movements like the 2836/24 6947 and 7750 non modified (non chronograph and chronograph in traditional 6-9-12 layout).   This ensures parts availability, and preferably direct swap to ETA if a failure occurs. 

As far as the case quality, with one exception which I just received, all of my diver watches have passed pressure tests of 3-5 ATM and my TC was tested to 40 ATM (120% of gen).  Of course QA is pretty low so each watch should be tested to ensure there isn't a misplaced seal or case defect, but I've never had a failure occur and I swim with mine several times weekly. 

Here's a few examples of water resistant watches I've got..

I would add also the Miyota 9015 (found in several AP and Patek reps) as  a good and reliable movement.

McGilli
3 hours ago, teddy875 said:

Should a gasket failure occur and the inside of the watch be pressurized, once you begin to release pressure the pressure will be higher inside the watch preventing water from entering the case.  This is why it's important to be watching carefully and pull it out of the water should you see that stream of bubbles because once they stop, pressure has equalized and water can enter the case. 

Thanks for this - I too was wondering the exact same thing and couldn't figure out how it would work without destroying an already compromised watch.