Mr Stubbs

DIY Vertical Watch Box

Mr Stubbs

There is only one difference between collecting and hoarding:  organization.  If you have a bunch of old wine bottles on the coffee table, on the nightstand and piled on the refrigerator, you are a Hoarder.  And also a fun person to party with.  But organize those  empty bottles  into a display case, and you are a Collector.  Same thing for watches.

Narikaa mentioned that foam pipe insulation was the poor man's  watch cushion.  I looked around at my watches overflowing their boxes onto the dresser, shelves and even around the bathroom sink.  Definitely a hoarder.  So I'm combining Home Depot pipe insulation with a pair of Studio Decor display boxes from the craft store Michaels. And voila,  I'm a collector again! ;)

The display box has 28 slots that are 2 1/4" x 5". The clear plastic front is framed and hinged.  I cut the foam into 2 1/2" sections, to make a compression fit in the box . This allows watches to be held firmly in place. 

IMG_3294.jpg

Try to make the cuts as straight as possible.  Neatness counts. In all things.

IMG_3289.jpg

This foam is made with pre-glued edges. Peeling away the yellow tape allows you to adhere the foam edges together.

IMG_3290.jpg

I found that 47mm wide watches would fit, but not any with particularly deep  cases  (like Hublot, U Boat,  G-Shock).

IMG_3299.jpg

Filling the slots...

IMG_3301.jpg

And the final result.  Suitable for behind the bar or on top of the dresser to free up some space. I was going to hang this on the wall, but decided not to risk it.  Twenty-eight watches are heavy!  ;)

IMG_3303.jpg

Display box on sale for about $20, foam insulation $3 for 72". 

And yes, I am a poor man.  :coffee:

Addendum:

This particular foam has an OD of exactly 7".   That diameter allows me to close my steel bracelets for a reasonably good fit. HOWEVER,  for larger wrists or a tighter fit to hold the watch in place, you can add an extra piece of foam.  I cut an extra 1/2" x 2" strip and used the existing adhesive edges to do this, although I didn't actually need it.

IMG_3300.jpg

redmack

good idea mate, looks cool as well

J!m

Nice job!

looks much nicer than $23. 

VMSG

Nice, thanks!

Nikosaldente

Good job mate!

Well done!

A few AD would be jealous of your display case:clap:

GingerApple

Awesome job. Nice watch collection too, you funky mofo.

Mr Stubbs

Thanks guys!  :) Now there's  room for more watches!  :thumbsup:

McGilli
3 hours ago, Mr Stubbs said:

Filling the slots...

That's what she said.

So. I'm like - damn - for the $ this is the best watch DIY Display case I've seen on this forum. And, quick to put together. I was really happy with your work.

But then...

I saw that Rolex, bottom row, in the middle. Drooping down, so sad... Like... So sad...

So - is that from the bracelet being too large? Or - too tight (that's what she said) and it can't lock onto the foam?

Daffy
32 minutes ago, Mr Stubbs said:

Very nice Welded Lug you have there, sir.  And the display case is nice, too.

Mr Stubbs
26 minutes ago, McGilli said:

That's what she said.

So. I'm like - damn - for the $ this is the best watch DIY Display case I've seen on this forum. And, quick to put together. I was really happy with your work.

But then...

I saw that Rolex, bottom row, in the middle. Drooping down, so sad... Like... So sad...

So - is that from the bracelet being too large? Or - too tight (that's what she said) and it can't lock onto the foam?

Never thought anything could be too tight, until ... ;)

ANYHOO, that sub is just drooping because the bracelet was unclasped when I took the pic.  It’s all happy again, now. I promise. :) 

The  insulation is for 1 1/4” pipes, and has an outside diameter of 7”.  So the ‘cushions’ are exactly the same diameter as my wrists.  Just a happy coincidence.

Mr Stubbs
15 minutes ago, Daffy said:

Very nice Welded Lug you have there, sir.  And the display case is nice, too.

Thanks Daffy.  The parts were all from River and the beautifully distressed strap was made by our member GottaHaveRolex.

Glaude
4 hours ago, Mr Stubbs said:

That what I like to hear ! 

Nice DIY project !

Mossback

So by this time next year you'll be building another one?  :clock:

Lovely work, well done.

Thommo82

Gorgeous mate!

Now only if that lazy bastard Thommo would get off his arse and finish his cabinet 

stfrance

When you do sale it on m2m, I’ll get in the line..:D

Luxuracer

One of the best DIY .... !

giphy.gif

Wriggles

Thats a lovely display case. Makes my Lidl tea boxes look shit. Cos they are

SamsonAusKognito

Nice work, this looks really good.

Have you thought about to sew something like thin leather or coloured Cloth like from a shirt over the cushions?

Mr Stubbs
1 hour ago, SamsonAusKognito said:

Nice work, this looks really good.

Have you thought about to sew something like thin leather or coloured Cloth like from a shirt over the cushions?

I was considering black or red velvet. I want to think of myself as a Renaissance Man, but my ability with a sewing machine is zero. :D

SamsonAusKognito

Red would be an eyecatcher :) 

bloon

Beautiful case! Can you grab the box in other colors/tones? It would be great ot have a wooden resin type box!

Mr Stubbs
On 5/1/2018 at 19:04, bloon said:

Beautiful case! Can you grab the box in other colors/tones? It would be great ot have a wooden resin type box!

I haven't noticed them in other finishes, but   it would be worth searching  online for collectible display cases.  The trick is to get something as inexpensive as this.

tabuktime
On 24/04/2018 at 05:03, Thommo82 said:

Gorgeous mate!

Now only if that lazy bastard Thommo would get off his arse and finish his cabinet 

Never. Gonna. Happen.

That useless twat moves furniture, not makes it.

The only modifications he makes to furniture is when he drops it out of the wagon.

:rofl:

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

Never. Gonna. Happen.

That useless twat moves furniture, not makes it.

The only modifications he makes to furniture is when he drops it out of the wagon.

:rofl:

You just know that's how he broke his toe. Even if he says otherwise. Fucking ugly toe too whilst we're on the subject!

tabuktime
27 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

You just know that's how he broke his toe. Even if he says otherwise. Fucking ugly toe too whilst we're on the subject!

Fortunately I've dodged the post where this was disclosed *phew*.

Please don't enlighten me any further...