NCRich

Lets build a gen dial Datejust - tutorial

NCRich

So I was working on a couple DJs and thought I would show what goes into making one.  This has a gen dial I picked up off ebay a while ago.  I am using a Rafflesdials 2836 case set.

So the parts:

5Ug0khO.jpg?1

I am using a 2879 NOS Swiss low beat movement that is almost exactly the same size as a 2836.  I checked before I started to make sure everything would fit.  Case set comes with crown and retaining ring.  I will need to add a Rolex datewheel overlay, I picked champagne.

We have two major issues.  First the feet on the dial don't work with the movement.  There are a couple ways to fix that.  Remove the existing feet and then glue new ones one with epoxy, OR, glue the ETA spacer to the back of dial and secure with a tiny bit of double stick tape.  With DJs most people pick the latter.

The second problem is fitting the datewheel.  I need to glue it to the existing datewheel without gumming up the works (and put it in the right alignment).

HNAv2pN.jpg

kKfsLsR.jpg

I like to use a 5 minute epoxy on this so I can adjust stuff.

687ZGt4.jpg

So I mix up some epoxy and sparingly apply to the retaining ring, position it on the dial and center it.  I sparingly apply it to the datewheel and then position the overlay.  I find that lining up the middle of the three with the stem gives me the best result.  Let it dry overnight.

Using 1/8 inch double stick tape I put three small pieces on the outer edge of the movement.

KctypDW.jpg

Line up the dial and press onto the movement.

Q6dSg04.jpg

Now we need to put the hands on.  In the time set position set the movement forward until the date just snaps over.  That is midnight.  Now we set the hands.  I use brass tweezers as they are less likely to scratch the hands.

E4ed4LB.jpg?1

I have a hand setting tool but I still find a ball point pen insert to be the easiest  way to set the hour hand.  I set the other two with the hand set tool.

DABk2hw.jpg?1

So now we need to case the movement and trim the stem.

Put the retaining ring on the stand, position the movement and drop the case over it.

8foNQ3T.jpg?1

Now flip it over, reinsert the stem, and put in the movement holder screws and tabs.

xtqcHt6.jpg?1

Now I need to measure the stem.  In the winding position I press down on the crown and measure the distance between the bottom of the crown and the top of the case.

Rlib5Dk.jpg

I take that much off the stem, apply blue locktite to the threads and screw on the crown, and reinsert it.  Silicon grease on the back oring and screw the back on.  Bam you are done!

JU4ZX1g.jpg?1

Purdy, ain't it?  In my opinion, the best money you can spend on an upgrade is a gen dial.  I care nothing about a gen crystal or crown, you get pretty low payback on those.  But a dial really pops

Its not just gen dials you will have the dial feet problem with.  Yuki dials usually come with dial feet in the gen position so you end up clipping them off.  All their hands that come with the dials are also for gen movements.  Request to buy the dials without hands, its cheaper and the hands are useless.

paccbet

Wow cool build !

GingerApple

Awesome work big guy! Thanks for taking the time, lovely result.

With the stem, how do you trim it? Pliars? Wirecutters? Special tool? And what do you do, leave the keyless end of the stem intact, cut the stem at the crown end, then glue the shortened stem to the crown?

NCRich
6 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

Awesome work big guy! Thanks for taking the time, lovely result.

With the stem, how do you trim it? Pliars? Wirecutters? Special tool? And what do you do, leave the keyless end of the stem intact, cut the stem at the crown end, then glue the shortened stem to the crown?

I have a small set of nippers.  Just regular nippers but hobby size.  You cut at the stem end, file it to smooth the end threads, then use blue loctite to secure it.

Glaude

Great content right here ! 

And congrats on the build !

Nikosaldente

As always, awesome job and tutorial Rich!

What do you mean by saying you use a ball point pen to position the Hour Hand?

I use the Cap of the pliers to do it:D Hour and Minute Hand and the tool for the Second Hand...

NCRich
3 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

As always, awesome job and tutorial Rich!

What do you mean by saying you use a ball point pen to position the Hour Hand?

I use the Cap of the pliers to do it:D Hour and Minute Hand and the tool for the Second Hand...

The open end of the ink cartridge.

HLazoWe.jpg

Luxuracer

Beautiful build .... Great tutorial!

You made it look easy ... !

giphy.gif

tkoa001

Nuked

Edited by tkoa001

Nikosaldente
26 minutes ago, NCRich said:

The open end of the ink cartridge.

HLazoWe.jpg

I see....

It's pretty much the same as the one I use!

The protective cap of the tweezers:

berg7026.jpg

:thumbsup:

Daffy

Fantastic job, Rich.  That is incredible looking!  VERY nice build there, and it doesn't seem to have taken you long at all to get it done.

I found a real bone folding tool works for me when putting hands back on a movement.  Tweezers to get them close, and then the tip of the bone tool allows me to gently snug them down.  It's a really stiff tool, but does not mark the hands in any way when using it.

If you are feeling adventurous sometime, give it a try.  They are right at $5 on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

RussP

Nice work, Rich.

Waaaay out of my league.

Might need to send you some of my box queens to do some organ transplants so that I can wear at least some of them.

ElvisFreak

impressive.

I have hands of a seal and this is something I wish I could do....

Moondustesp

Nice work

BM284

Great tutorial Rich - you make it look so bloody easy....I know with my current (lack of) skill level I’d have messed that right up! The end result looks gorgeous (please send it me for testing ;) ) 

Rokerite

Must be very satisfying to do a job like that, it's perfect to my eyes. :thumbsup:

GenTLe

Well done Rich, well done!

deju

Great post! End results are spectacular.

Logixa

Good job @NCRich!

Now sell me that watch for dirt cheap :Devil:

repmaster1234

Good addition to the knowledge base Rich! Now, time to get back to the project that really matters ;) 

Daywatch

Great tutorial. Thank You! Congrats on the beautiful build.

Luxuracer
19 hours ago, NCRich said:

So I was working on a couple DJs and thought I would show what goes into making one.  This has a gen dial I picked up off ebay a while ago.  I am using a Rafflesdials 2836 case set.

Parts had been ordered .... @NCRich

All I need to do is find a nice gen DJ dial ... then everything will be shipped to you soon. ;)

parades

Wow. Beautiful

V1ntage

Wow! So pleased to see this. I have almost the same parts on order, except a dial also from raffles and seagull 2836 clone. It will be the first build I attempt, so this is just brilliant - thanks for sharing.

I've also gone for a champagne dial and looking at your movement suspect I've already made a mistake by ordering a seagull silver clone; the pinion for the hands will be silver.

NCRich

Never posted finished pic.

gp9zT1D.jpg?1

8NClVyr.jpg?1

kiHnMQc.jpg?2