NCRich

Lets build a gen dial Datejust - tutorial

V1ntage

Did you just clip the stem? Got all my parts in the post today...and now actually a little nervous to start first build:archaeology:

Luxuracer
2 hours ago, V1ntage said:

Did you just clip the stem? Got all my parts in the post today...and now actually a little nervous to start first build:archaeology:

Just Do It ... !

Make sure that you take a lot of picture to document your build ... Also if you are running into any issue you can use the pictures to ask for help.

I think @NCRich and many other great members here would not mind lending a hand on your first build.

Best of luck!

V1ntage

Yeah, you're right. Going to do it tomorrow.  Definitely taking pictures.  Appreciate encouragement :ass-kick:

BTW - do you have advice for trimming the stem?

Luxuracer
12 minutes ago, V1ntage said:

Yeah, you're right. Going to do it tomorrow.  Definitely taking pictures.  Appreciate encouragement :ass-kick:

BTW - do you have advice for trimming the stem?

Rich has a very clear instructions and pictures on how to trim the stem;

So now we need to case the movement and trim the stem.

Put the retaining ring on the stand, position the movement and drop the case over it.

8foNQ3T.jpg?1

Now flip it over, reinsert the stem, and put in the movement holder screws and tabs.

xtqcHt6.jpg?1

Now I need to measure the stem.  In the winding position I press down on the crown and measure the distance between the bottom of the crown and the top of the case.

Rlib5Dk.jpg

I take that much off the stem, apply blue locktite to the threads and screw on the crown, and reinsert it.  Silicon grease on the back oring and screw the back on.  Bam you are done!

JU4ZX1g.jpg?1

V1ntage

Thanks - a closer read has helped.

...appreciate you re-posting the specific pics and notes 

Luxuracer

A

4 minutes ago, V1ntage said:

Thanks - a closer read has helped.

...appreciate you re-posting the specific pics and notes 

@NCRich also has a tutorial on how to grill the lugs;

V1ntage

That's great! Thanks for sharing. I'm in a another chat just discussing such a bench drill or a Dremel - feeling convinced about bench drill for case drilling. Dremel for other things.

Luxuracer
8 minutes ago, V1ntage said:

That's great! Thanks for sharing. I'm in a another chat just discussing such a bench drill or a Dremel - feeling convinced about bench drill for case drilling. Dremel for other things.

Many other members had been doing great mods to their watches, but NCRich has great instructions and pictures for his techniques. I saw many beautiful watches modded by Rich, so I would trust his methods.

V1ntage

Thanks for the tip. Once I saw Rich's DJ in a build near identical to the one I had on order...I saw it as sign :happy:

V1ntage
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 23:22, Luxuracer said:

Just Do It ... !

Make sure that you take a lot of picture to document your build ... Also if you are running into any issue you can use the pictures to ask for help.

I think @NCRich and many other great members here would not mind lending a hand on your first build.

Best of luck!

OK. Started build and have managed to scratch dial and bend second hand. I sent NC Rich an private PM but can't work out how to insert pics...any advice on doing that, can then share the output of my (lack of) skills...

Luxuracer
2 minutes ago, V1ntage said:

OK. Started build and have managed to scratch dial and bend second hand. I sent NC Rich an private PM but can't work out how to insert pics...any advice on doing that, can then share the output of my (lack of) skills...

Oh ... No ... !

But don't feel bad ... welcome to the Amature Watchsmith Club.

As for posting picture, you can read the instructional thread below. Make sure you photo url link ended with .jgp

V1ntage

@Luxuracer Thanks - will post some pics

Luxuracer
33 minutes ago, V1ntage said:

have managed to scratch dial

At least ... you did not scratch a gen dial ...! :blowup:

V1ntage
15 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Oh ... No ... !

But don't feel bad ... welcome to the Amature Watchsmith Club.

As for posting picture, you can read the instructional thread below. Make sure you photo url link ended with .jgp

IMG_5430.jpg
IMG_5431.jpg
IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5433.jpg

Hey - not sure if these images are coming through. Scratch is not obvious but you know, once you know it's there...like you said, not a gen dial. Overall I've done a good job of scuffing the hands. The dial scratch is above the 'ch' on chronometer - exactly half way to centre. I have the hand applying tools on order and will wait

NCRich

Teething pains.  There is something about repetition that makes it easier.  I break stuff, but I tend to move more slowly and the extent of the damage is less.  I keep spares of most things now, when I order I order two. So I got some stuff I might never use, but since shipping is so long and costly I just write it off.   Just don't screw the movement, order new dial and hands.  Its $35.  You are learning.

BabaNJ

Most scratches actually aren't even that obvious once inside the case. At least it is not like a gen dial i messed up once

Before

IMG_20171219_211455.jpg

After.....and it all started with a attempt to wipe a piece of lint from the dial

IMG_20180530_195414.jpg

I still keep telling myself i will fix it one day.. 

Luxuracer
13 minutes ago, BabaNJ said:

IMG_20180530_195414.jpg

Wow .... You did go to town ... cleaning that dial! :rofl:

NCRich
15 minutes ago, BabaNJ said:

Most scratches actually aren't even that obvious once inside the case. At least it is not like a gen dial i messed up once

Before

IMG_20171219_211455.jpg

After.....and it all started with a attempt to wipe a piece of lint from the dial

IMG_20180530_195414.jpg

I am literally crying from laughing......and only because I know the pain.  So well!  You will never make an omelet without breaking eggs.

LightGeek

Frack me that's beautiful...

MatteoB
On 24/05/2018 at 23:45, Luxuracer said:

Rich has a very clear instructions and pictures on how to trim the stem;

So now we need to case the movement and trim the stem.

Put the retaining ring on the stand, position the movement and drop the case over it.

8foNQ3T.jpg?1

Now flip it over, reinsert the stem, and put in the movement holder screws and tabs.

xtqcHt6.jpg?1

Now I need to measure the stem.  In the winding position I press down on the crown and measure the distance between the bottom of the crown and the top of the case.

Rlib5Dk.jpg

I take that much off the stem, apply blue locktite to the threads and screw on the crown, and reinsert it.  Silicon grease on the back oring and screw the back on.  Bam you are done!

JU4ZX1g.jpg?1

Did you bend the hands? Are you using an H4 set or it is all original?

Are you using longer post hands or the normal ones?

Thank you!

NCRich

Been a long time, but I believe I used the hands with longer posts.

GymLark

Just came across this through your footer links. End product looks great! Would love to get a two tone DJ with a gen dial, agree it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Where do you source gen dials from? I've seen them on Chrono24, but unsure if there's a better place?

NCRich
On 18/08/2021 at 10:09, GymLark said:

Just came across this through your footer links. End product looks great! Would love to get a two tone DJ with a gen dial, agree it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Where do you source gen dials from? I've seen them on Chrono24, but unsure if there's a better place?

A few on ebay, a few through contacts on boards.

GymLark
7 hours ago, NCRich said:

A few on ebay, a few through contacts on boards.

Thanks mate, going to keep an eye out.