semperfi55

Review - Blancpain Villeret Quantième Complet 6654

semperfi55

As some of you know by now, I love complications and perpetual calendars. I have bought a quartz Seiko perpetual calendar. Now, I am glad to announce my first mechanical calendar complications watch :DBehold, the Blancpain Villeret Quantième Complet 6654-1127-55B!

The Watch

https://www.blancpain.com/en/watch/6654-1127-55b

A beautiful dress watch with with various complications. Some may find it too busy, but I find it has the perfect balance between nothing and all the complications. The busy dial was what caught my attention and got me looking for a rep version. Interestingly, no one has reviewed this watch on here nor RWI. Guess it's up to me to brave through this unchartered rep review territory :p

Apart from the elegant dial design, this watch features an Blancpain innovation: the under-lug correctors. Over the course of horology, watchmakers have been adding more and more complications: date, day, month, moonphase and chronographs. One of the prevailing challenges is to include these complications while keeping the clean, smooth lines of the watch case. The recessed pusher was one such innovation, albeit the need for a pusher tool ball-point pen when adjusting. The more extreme minimalist approach was to have the crown do all the work. One classic example is the IWC Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar released in 1985 where the crown is used to set day, date, month and year.  https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/iwc-da-vinci-perpetual-calendar-chronograph-steel-review

Then comes Blancpain in 2005 with under-lug correctors. Basically, they are small levers underneath....you guessed it, the four lugs. The complications are adjusted by pushing these levers, which can be done with a special pusher or your thumb. So you can ditch that ball-point pen now :D

Gen RRP: £10,930

The Rep

Of course, I was only going to buy the watch if they had functioning under-lug correctors. The videos on Trustytime and Perfect Clones was very encouraging so I got down to researching TDs, In the end I decided to go for the newcomer, Mr Timezone who provided a good service for me.

40276620600_989a1edd34_b.jpg40276314070_a0b5e83f46_b.jpg

TD Specs (Mr. Timezone)

Size: 40mm x 13mm

Movement: Asian A23j automatic decorated to BlancPain Cal.6654 movement

Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, day, date, month and moonphase display

Case: 1:1 stainless steel case

Dial: White dial with Roman numerals

Crystal: Scratch-proof sapphire crystal

Strap & Clasp: Black leather strap with deployant clasp

Dimensions

The gen is 40mm in diameter and 10.65mm thick. My rep is 40mm diameter and 12mm thick. Pretty decent considering the complications in there!

41184338555_857338365c_b.jpg41184339875_ebaac15173_b.jpg

Caliper batteries are dying...

Dial 

I really don't know what to say. Just speechless about how pretty the dial is. My crappy iPhone photos don't do it justice! (DSLR still in service :angry:)

42038278642_7fc06ea481_b.jpg28210674718_a4189df5e8_b.jpg

The day and month window is larger on the gen. But unless you have them side by side, it's not an issue. Otherwise, the font for everything is pretty spot on.

27213361597_8a2900750c_b.jpg

Here's a shot from a different angle to show the blued date hand. Also the moonphase is more visible from certain angles than others.

40276309980_9679a347a6_b.jpg

I believe this is a 59 toothed moonphase. The moonphase display here is not much to shout about, compared to my A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia. But that's the fault of the gen design. Even on the gen, it is pretty bland, with a creepy ass moon smirking at you. Any Mighty Boosh fans here?

Movement

I'm not too sure of the movement. But here's a couple of photos to show the detail!

41363968994_df7856a6a0_b.jpg28210683608_73324e910e_b.jpg

Functions

As per the description, it has a date, day, month and moonphase function. Funnily enough, when checking with the TD re the moonphase, he replied saying it was an AM/PM indicator. But whilst I was playing around with the under-lug correctors, I found the display had two moons and did not clearly advance when moving the watch 24 hours forward. A moonphase afterall! Nice surprise!

28210872018_a8a48cb938_b.jpg

As mentioned above, the rep also has four under-lug correctors. One for each complication. They all work! :D Either the TD or OMF also provided a special pusher for the correctors but a thumb will suffice.

40276431190_6e5d1c7668_b.jpg

But here's the rub: I noticed when moving the hour hand, the day and date change 12 hours apart. Not sure if this is normal? I'm ok with this "issue" but my only concern is that when adjusting the day between 6am to 6pm (safe for date change) would damage the day change mechanism. Anyone have any advice on this? In correspondence with TD on the issue as well, if it is an issue.

Strap

The black leather strap goes well with the steel colour. Overall, I find the strap quality satisfactory. Not high-end, but not plastic either and it does not look cheap. It's still a bit stiff (only just got it today).

41364023014_3c75094937_b.jpg

This is also my first watch, gen or rep, with a deployant buckle, which took me a while to figure out. The buckle has good detailing on it and easy to use. However, I'm still not 100% on the use of deployants: they dig into the wrist a bit and increase the profile of the watch slightly. I'm still a fan because aesthetics trumps practicality or comfort for me. Story of my superficial life...

28210770168_2d7c59a319_b.jpg41364023934_51760c04a4_b.jpg

Accuracy

No idea. Cannot comment until I buy a time machine thingy. If you're bothered, buy a quartz.

Overall

Overall, I'm very pleased with this watch. Expensive but worth it. My only concern is the day date mechanism as mentioned above. If you're an enthusiast who loves the under-lug corrector design, then this is a no-brainer. Get this and be a classy mofo, until the next WIS explains that technically dress watches shouldn't have any complications blah blah blah.... 

Well, I have my answer to the purists. Two answers. Stay tuned for two other simple dress watches ;). In the meantime, here's a wristie.

42083207681_0a341f3c0a_b.jpg

Day 2 Thoughts: I quite fancy the rose gold versions available but just realised how quickly the rose gold layer would wear off around the correctors! 

Thefakemastersfanclub

Finally!!’ Someone reviews this amazing rep! As far as the minor flaws no one will notice them .. they’ll gawk at how expensive it looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luxuracer

A wonderful review for a beautiful watch. :thumbsup:

We need more reviews like this for every watch .

bloon

Thanks for the review! Looks nice! One question; does your gen have the bluish tint for the date hand or is it just the rep?

Logixa

Lovely review! Thank you very much for this! 

Luxuracer

I was freaking out when I first saw the date hand .... who bent that hand at installation ?!?

giphy.gif

Glaude

Excellent review mate !

The watch look really really great !
This fully functional moon phase is good to know and the under lug corrector are a really nice touch that set this watch apart.

The bent hand tip for the day indicator is a delight to me !

And finally this is not the worst deployment buckle, this is a good one with a not so high profile !

semperfi55

@Thefakemastersfanclub I couldn't believe no one has reviewed this either! I went and tried the exact same model at an AD and I noticed that the circle on the dial with the dates is more obvious on the gen, providing a clearer demarcation on the dial. The watch has a pricey feel but I do have some buyer's regret. Check out this one: 

http://mrtimezone01.store/product/omf-villeret-complicated-function-40mm-11-rg-case-white-textured-dial-black-leather-strap-a6654/

Rose gold case, more detailed dial. Even more expensive looking! Maybe one day I'll get that one too :)

@Luxuracer Haha thanks! Actually it's a blue-dyed pube they put in there. Can't advertise as AAA+ without some pubes in there.

@bloon Cheers! I tried out the gen at the AD, the date hand is blued as well on the gen but a deeper blue. Probably because it's blued properly instead of painted on? On the rep, the it can be hard to tell the date hand colour on photos due to angle and lighting.

@Logixa Thanks mate! 

@Glaude Cheers dude! Indeed, with those correctors and bent hand, I had to buy it! The only worry now is that as a more unique system it might be difficult to repair if shit happens.

Glaude
3 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

The only worry now is that as a more unique system it might be difficult to repair if shit happens.

To be honest, this is not a very complicated system, If I had to guess this are just pushers arms that lie against the regular inside pushers of the movement, they just cleverly cut the back case to let the arm protrude behind the lugs

semperfi55

@Glaude I was hoping that would be the case! I am tempted to open it up to have a look but maybe when I gain more experience. It would suck to ruin the watch on Day 1. Maybe Day 2...

VMSG

Great review!

giphy.gif

McGilli
On 13/05/2018 at 10:26, semperfi55 said:

Blancpain Villeret Quantième Complet 6654-1127-55B

Nice! I've never seen those under-lug pushers before... and the fact that they actually work on the rep is quite impressive....

Andromeda_Spectrum

Could you by any chance help us out at RWI with determining whether this watch is a super rep or first class?

I suggested this watch to the super rep list and since your the only one I've been able to find who has this particular model, we definitely do need your help with a comparison between the rep and gen. Also, that link to the more detailed dial watch isn't working so if you could find a working one and posit it that'd be great.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-watch-general-discussion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs

Great review!

hasel5

Forgot I had one of these just dug it out and it is very nice

semperfi55
On 04/08/2018 at 11:00, Andromeda_Spectrum said:

Could you by any chance help us out at RWI with determining whether this watch is a super rep or first class?

I suggested this watch to the super rep list and since your the only one I've been able to find who has this particular model, we definitely do need your help with a comparison between the rep and gen. Also, that link to the more detailed dial watch isn't working so if you could find a working one and posit it that'd be great.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-watch-general-discussion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs

Great review!

Sorry just saw this. Of course! Happy to help out! I was surprised myself when I couldn't find other reviews before buying this watch. At the moment my watch is back in China for repairs (day/date and power reserve issues). I can give a better assessment when I get it back and also check out the local Blancpain boutique to refresh my memory of the gen ;). Good excuse to go back there :) 

The other one can be found here:

http://mrtimezone02.store/shop/new-arrivals/omf-villeret-complicated-function-40mm-11-rg-case-white-textured-dial-black-leather-strap-a6654/

On 04/08/2018 at 11:32, hasel5 said:

Forgot I had one of these just dug it out and it is very nice

I'm intrigued by the other beauties in your collection that made you forgot this watch :bounce:

hasel5
I'm intrigued by the other beauties in your collection that made you forgot this watch :bounce:

I will pm you some pics

semperfi55
5 hours ago, hasel5 said:

I will pm you some pics

Looking forward to it :)

Or do a State of the collection post!

deju

Great to see a watch with working complications, gutted that I couldn’t pull it off it’s rather fetching especially in rose gold 

semperfi55
8 minutes ago, deju said:

working complications

Jury still out on this one. Mine was sent back to China and still no updates re repairs. Hopefully it's just bad luck on my watch and not a problem in all reps of this model.

Luxuracer
8 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Jury still out on this one. Mine was sent back to China and still no updates re repairs. Hopefully it's just bad luck on my watch and not a problem in all reps of this model.

source.gif

semperfi55
29 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

source.gif

The struggle is real man...:fiddle:

Bosox
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:41, semperfi55 said:

A hung jury or is the verdict in?  

semperfi55
34 minutes ago, Bosox said:

A hung jury or is the verdict in?  

TD just sent me a video. Day date change has been fixed. Now waiting for it to be posted.

Luxuracer
4 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Now waiting for it to be posted.

lostsea_skipper.gif

Alan32

Thanks for the review:clap:. My ambition is to "Make  a Jaquet droz eclipse black onyx (or win the lottery and buy one!) and I think you've shown me the movement I need now all I need is someone to make me a face, hands.................oh! and maybe in five years I'll have acquired the skills to put it together:giggle: