childishthing

ARF Datejust 36mm - Mini Review

childishthing

Hey guys, mostly photos here in this mini-review. This is my new ARF 36mm DJ with SH3135 movement I got from Mary. Fast and easy to work with. QC photos didn't include timegraph stats like I'm used to with Josh, but it's also not something I care about a lot. Perhaps Mary could do that upon request, I don't know.

Been wearing the watch about two weeks. The feel of quality is definitely there. Similar fit and finish to my V7 Submariner.

Overall, I score the watch an 8/10... the flaws have already been covered pretty well in others reviews already*, but I decided to go ahead anyway and I'm very happy with the watch. The crown and datewheel flaws aside, my only gripe is the clasp.  When closed, it wiggles just enough to make a metal tapping noise on occasion. I didn't notice this happening on my Noob oyster bracelets, but those have a slightly different clasp (DSSD & Submariner).

*Rolex coronet is slightly too high and datewheel font is noticeably incorrect. Worth a dial & DW swap? you decide.

The silver dial looks good and has a nice sunburst effect in the right light, but I wish I had gone with the blue dial instead for a little extra pop. I will probably swap dials soon, as silver is a bit plain looking in person. Movement operates smoothly and rotor winds quietly, seems to keep accurate time so far.

The crystal seems fine, the only other DJ I've owned had a mineral crystal and I no longer have my V7 Sub to compare. No complaints about the crystal.

I apologize about the poor quality photos, I no longer have a nice camera so I'm using my Samsung Galaxy. I noticed in my photos, the dial looks very flat and almost white... it does look much better in person, and if you like silver dials - you'd love it. I did the best I could manage with photos.

Comes in a Rolex coffin which is neat... I didn't expect that. I'm curious if this is Mary's touch, or if ARF watches come this way.

28590586528_0fcc7b10bf_o.jpg

Out of the box...

42463324961_def7ecba88_o.jpg

42463292601_33578a9372_o.jpg

The "904L Steel", assuming that's what it is... looks fantastic. The light color of the steel makes the watch sparkle, and the mirror polished parts look... like a mirror. If you can't tell, the watch is a scratch magnet.

42412909112_aaa7b5ec71_o.jpg

41560610815_6c0babac1a_o.jpg

42463268051_ed5e55788b_o.jpg

41740154124_19167bd67b_o.jpg

Car photo

42412905292_7ac06d653b_o.jpg

Lume is dim in my opinion and fades quite quickly. For this photo, the watch was under a UV light for 60 seconds and the shot was taken immediately afterward. I would recommend a re-lume to anyone who cares, as I do.

41560947265_79ac5e401b_o.jpg

If I keep the watch long-term, I will likely do a few things to it...

1. Dial swap.

This one:

10622162546_2521fafb1c_b.jpg

Or this one

img_3095.jpg

2. GEN DW swap

3. Re-lume hands, and dial if needed

Uploaded a YT video just for fun... sorry about the lame BG music, it wasn't supposed to be that loud.

Edit: added lume video

Well, thanks for reading. Let me know what you think.

LightGeek

DW swap for sure. That was the biggest holdback for me when I was considering.

RussP

That coronet looks just like how it is placed on the gen.

I get your point about the lume..........but that isn't worrying about.

Glaude
1 hour ago, childishthing said:

Uploaded a YT video just for fun... sorry about the lame BG music, it wasn't supposed to be that loud.

That got me aroused... slightly ... :lol:

Nice not-so-mini review ! Thanks for sharing !

(I would avoid the diamond dial)

childishthing

GingerApple

The ARFs with that bracelet do have a bit of a 'tappy issue'. Another poster was asking some time ago about what he could do to solve the problem. Tripdog suggested he stopped tapping it....

The coffin is an ARF thing, they all come like that. They're stolen from Rolex in Australia by @Thommo82 for the good of his RWG brethren. Any lengths he'll go to for us! Check the address on the label - Thommo lives two minutes away.

The watch looks great, even without frankening, congrats! Although do post photos of any changes you make!

Thommo82
2 hours ago, Gingerbubba said:

The ARFs with that bracelet do have a bit of a 'tappy issue'. Another poster was asking some time ago about what he could do to solve the problem. Tripdog suggested he stopped tapping it....

The coffin is an ARF thing, they all come like that. They're stolen from Rolex in Australia by @Thommo82 for the good of his RWG brethren. Any lengths he'll go to for us! Check the address on the label - Thommo lives two minutes away.

The watch looks great, even without frankening, congrats! Although do post photos of any changes you make!

TD’s pay me $50 a pop for the coffins

deju

Stop tapping the bracelet! 

It also makes a thud noise if you hit the watch against a wall :lmao: 

GingerApple
1 hour ago, deju said:

Stop tapping the bracelet! 

It also makes a thud noise if you hit the watch against a wall :lmao: 

And a 'plink-plink-plinky-plonk' if you play the piano with it.

RussP
4 hours ago, Gingerbubba said:

You've got the incorrect state.

Thommo, Cubic Hare and I live in Qld..................those 'coffins' come from New South Wales.

Although Thommo does live kind of close to the border.............:beer2:

GingerApple

Continents have states?

RussP
28 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

Continents have states?

We sure do, on this continent.

deju

And a 'plink-plink-plinky-plonk' if you play the piano with it.

Only if you tune the piano to work with rep SS 

Glaude
1 hour ago, RussP said:

We sure do, on this continent.

But what about the country, does it have states too ? 

Is it a mental state or a normal state ?

RussP

Thommo's in the cuntry area.

I'm almost incontinent.

deju
15 minutes ago, RussP said:

Thommo's in the cuntry area.

I'm almost incontinent.

Don’t worry, @Glaude is French, someone’s always got it worse :rofl: 

Glaude
2 hours ago, deju said:

Don’t worry, @Glaude is French, someone’s always got it worse :rofl: 

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "true story gif"

duddlyboy
23 hours ago, childishthing said:

Doesn't your mom make you today up your bedroom occasionally ???

duddlyboy

Great review and a gorgeous watch . That DW isn't good though , spoils a great rep which I would buy immediately . Or am I being a little too critical ?

Mary Watch

about changing datewheel for SH 3135  movement, not change it between 00:00 and 6 am. or the datewheel will get stuck.

Caambaam

I want to swap the DW, but where can I find a gen roulette DW?

Caambaam

This helped me to make a choice;, thank you!

bdaniel2

hey, first of all, thank you for the review.

I am considering to buy the same watch but like you said, I also have issue with the DW.  

how and where can i buy DW that looks like the GEN or GEN DW ? and where can I take the watch to swap the DW ?

Thanks, Daniel!

Genius
On 02/06/2018 at 08:32, Mary Watch said:

about changing datewheel for SH 3135  movement, not change it between 00:00 and 6 am. or the datewheel will get stuck.

:rofl:

Tintpimp

There an eBay seller that sells roulette dw for 39.99 swapped in to my sh3135 also swapped in gen hands from a 16234 so the line is a little different but idc still looks great imho