Djpsuave

New Vs Pre Owned Rolex

Djpsuave

Thinking about purchasing a Rolex watch, model may be a simple just date. Whats everyones opinion on whether to buy preowned or new....is there any value in getting a preowned watch? any thoughts would be appreciated?

Automotiveromance

In my opinion, if you’re buying something like a DateJust, you might as well save yourself some money and buy preowned. They make a shit ton of DateJusts and they depreciate HARD. It’s nothing like the more ‘limited’ pieces that can go up in value.

So if it were me, I’d get a 1 or 2 yr old DJ that someone else took the depreciation on.

Mossback

I agree with Automotiveroman. If it were to be a Sub or the like a new watch is a better choice as the good used ones are going nearly the same price.

greg_r

Yep - let someone else take the depreciation hit. Just make sure that whoever you're buying from has a decent track record and you'll be fine.

Whoreologist

Always purchase used, unless you're able to get the in demand models like pepsi, batman, etc

Watchrecon.com gives the most accurate price of current timepieces, Chrono24 can be inflated because they tend be listed by jewelers, and they usually increase prices.

Mossback
8 minutes ago, Whoreologist said:

Always purchase used, unless you're able to get the in demand models like pepsi, batman, etc

Watchrecon.com gives the most accurate price of current timepieces, Chrono24 can be inflated because they tend be listed by jewelers, and they usually increase prices.

Great information. I am on Chrono24, will check out Watchrecon.com... Thank you sir!

Djpsuave

Thanks Gents, great info

winstoda

Always preowned for me. I second the recommendation of WatchRecon. 

thekwaze

From experience I would recommend an older, more collectable model that will rise in value.

I've had a few new models and was constantly aware of being careful not to scratch or knock them whereas with an older model you only add "Patina"

If you fancy a Rolex, then as a rule the sports models hold their value better.

Or if you fancy something that is similar to a Daytona, but much more rare, then get yourself a Zenith De Luca

If you are not familiar with that watch then read up on the Zenith De Luca and how a modified version of the movement was used in the Daytona 16520

I own both, but do like to say "Why have a Daytona when you can have the real thing at a fraction of the price....if you can find one"

Always gets a response from Rolex devotees...

gooner2826
On 04/06/2018 at 20:42, Whoreologist said:

After working in a jewellers, can vouch for this.

Chrono24 is inflated and overpriced, you're paying essentially for a comparison website. 

Ebay can sometimes be well priced, and you're covered under buyer protection, so if any issues with the watch you're covered. 

FL13

I am on Watchrecon pretty much everyday watching prices.

Here's what I can tell you regarding prices the past few years.

Jan 2016

Rolex Sub - $3500-4000 (16610)

Explorer II - $3500-4000 (16570)

Explorer - $3000 (14270) 

Daytona - $9500-10500 (Pre-Ceramic Bezel models....)

Now:

Sub - $6000+

Exp2 - $4500+

Exp - $4000+

Daytona - $11000+

As expected, the "Sport" Subs/Daytonas have increased the most.....

Honestly, if you aren't REALLY diving, the best value in Rolex Line is the 16570 Exp2.... Same movement as the GMT MASTER II, beautiful lines, 4 hands..... 

You don't get the rotating bezel, but you actually end up with a nicer case profile... and the bezel really "glows" in the shadows... it's something you only see when you have brushed steel... don't know how to describe it.

Look for SWISS MADE markings on dial (Superluminova) vs. SWISS (Luminova) and obviously T<25 = Tritium....

Also, best to get a Solid End Link version... the SEL are great!

That's my opinion.... Otherwise, if you want a smaller 36-39mm plain rolex model, go for the Oyster Perpetual Models... 

EBB

couldn't agree more, a lot of bang for buck with the explorer 2, polar is a beauty. 

soundefx

Pre-owned.  Buy from a reputable seller (i.e., Tourneau) and let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

jdinaz

The only down side to pre owned is the usual caveats about used stuff. Poorly maintained, slight chance of counterfeit, dings, ickiness, etc. All at a reduced price though.

Luxuracer
On 09/08/2018 at 15:20, FL13 said:

Jan 2016

Rolex Sub - $3500-4000 (16610)

Explorer II - $3500-4000 (16570)

Explorer - $3000 (14270) 

Daytona - $9500-10500 (Pre-Ceramic Bezel models....)

Now:

Sub - $6000+

Exp2 - $4500+

Exp - $4000+

Daytona - $11000+

You are missing pricing for 2017

FL13
3 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

You are missing pricing for 2017

Those are best prices. The newest daytonas are selling for like 16k its crazy. 

And newest subs c are like 7500

Luxuracer
18 minutes ago, FL13 said:

Those are best prices. The newest daytonas are selling for like 16k its crazy. 

And newest subs c are like 7500

I am not buying another gen Rolex ... for a long time ... so, I'm not worry :giggle:

RussP

Plenty of great advice so far.

I concur with the opinion of buying second-hand, unless you happen to be travelling and can source a new model without having to pay GST/VAT or whatever that horrid tax may be referred to  in your country of residence.

For example, when I visited NZ this time last year, I could get a brand new Datejust (with roulette date wheel) for NZ $7500 at a Rolex AD in Queenstown.

I couldn't locate a similar model for anywhere near that price here in Brisbane.