J!m

"Custom" die to properly seat early Rolex crystal retainers

J!m

OK fellow watch builders. If you are as frustrated as I am with the inability to get a PROPER size/angle/depth seating die for vintage Rolex crystal reatiners (the ring under the bezel ring), I am working on a solution.

I have tried a few plastic ones, which are too shallow (foul on the crystal, which gets really expensive on gen crystals) or if they clear, the brass threaded insert pops through the delrin and THAT ruins the crystal. I have been using a 12-point socket, but the problem is that it applies force on the outside edge of the retainer, and does not drive it down flat. That causes problems with the proper bezel function. I have other techniques I use to get around that and ensure the retainer is perfectly seated but it is a lot of extra labor.

So, I have designed a die, which will have a solid top (to use with a regular press) as well as a 1/4-20 tapped center hole, to use with (most) crystal presses. The bore will clear even the T39 (seadweller) tall superdome crystal, as well as the Cyclops on the T125 and T127 crystals.

I don't have pricing yet. I have asked the shop for 1, 10 and 20 piece pricing. More parts means less cost per part. They will be aluminum, not delrin. So, it WILL score your crystal if you are a jackass using it. It will be sized to fit perfectly on genuine Rolex retaining rings, without touching the crystal. For a small additional charge, I can dot peen engrave an I.D. number on it, and may just do that on all of them anyway. I haven't decided yet.

This is for the vintage Hesalite / Plexiglass crystal watches: 5512, 5513, 1665 and 1680. The GMT (1675) uses a different bezel and retaining ring. I don't have a genuine one of those to verify the design also works for that, but I suspect it will be better than whatever you're using now.

Let me know if there is any interest so I know how many to order.

Thanks!

J!m

OK. Apparently no interest, but these will run about $80 each. With or without engraving.

[Sales pitch] These are USA sourced material, machined to Aerospace quality standards in the USA. [/Sales pitch] *wave flag*

Let me know if interested.

omegex

I'm surprised that there is no interest thus far. I would have thought one or two people would have taken you up on this particularly the modders amongst us.

J!m

Yeah, too rich for the blood around here.

I might end up scrapping the idea and only making one for myself.

J!m

I have mine nearly done. Probably next week so people can see what it is. 

But if I sold them, they would not be made by me because it takes too long. I have an aero shop that will do them. 

Luxuracer

We do not work well ... without picture.

ttiwwop.gif

J!m

Patience is the most powerful tool in the watchmakers tool box...

GenTLe

I have these ones done from a friend of mine. On the left for the GMT, on the right it should be the one for the sub (still need to test it):
7ed5535e36c704349bca943a14081cbc.jpg

J!m

Those look fine. 

Is the underside edge angled to match the crystal retainer?

Edited by J!m

GenTLe

Nope, but when I used the one for the GMT it was working fine as it is :)

J!m

I guess as long as the die bears on the flat adjacent to the flange that goes up the side of the crystal it should be fine. 

Based on past experience I want to be certain the ring presses on perfectly straight with no twist so the bezel operates properly.

I haven’t cut the angle on mine yet so I guess I could test it as-is....

dman535

Curious to hear how it work, I think this is the issue I have with my bezel. I to used a large socket to seat the retaining ring and now the bezel doesn't spin freely.

Curious to see pictures of your creation.

J!m

Prototype is done but not tested yet. 

Mine diesnt look like much- just an aluminum cylinder with a counterbore. 

J!m

Update:

THIS

IS

AWESOME.

hanski

I’m interested. Let me know if this goes into production. 

J!m

Sure, no problem.

Need a few more interested people and I can have a run done.

Otherwise, it's $150.00 for one piece...