Monkey_Business

My vintage Rolex Precision

Monkey_Business

Hey guys!

I bought a vintage 1978 Rolex 6694 Oysterdate Precision. 

41882163875_d62d0ef7ce_k.jpg2018-06-13 15.38.41-2

Not too shabby, with it's age in mind - But I want to shine her up. I've found a new gen crystal and new gen hands for it. I just need to source a dial, and god damn, if that ain't difficult. 

Does anybody on here know the vintage market any well? Know where to look etc.?

RussP

Congrats on the acquisition.

Most people will advise against touching the dial.

Rather than replace it, why don't you look at getting it restored?

That way the watch retains its originality; just a suggestion.

Bigballs8

Yes very true keep it original adds to the classy loook

FoxWilde

Keep that dial on mate! Companies professionally restore them. It keeps the value up if the serial numbers of the dial and case are the same! Also I personally like the antiquity of it. Congrats on your purchase!

Fl0w77

Nice acquisition, not typically my style but nonetheless amazing piece.

I personally dont think you should buy new parts for it since it takes away from its age. Restoration probably the best choice especially if you want it to maintain a watch value, rather than part value.

J!m

That's a great watch in good condition! Enjoy it!

Keep your original parts but by all means, restore it! And by that I mean, only Genuine Rolex parts. There are plenty of aftermarket ones available but keep it "real"

I did the same with my black 9411. It had the original crown and crystal but both were replaced by me with NOS replacements. I also added an NOS pearl to the original insert that was missing it. Now it's as good as new and the original parts are tucked safely away for the nut job who would want those worn out parts...

Dials don't have any numbers tying them to a particular watch, (most have no numbers at all) and only chronometer certified movements are serialized. So no worries there.

So, you could google the reference number to see some of the possible dials available for it, and then search one out. Unfortunately, eBay is the easiest place, although not the least expensive.

Rokerite

Presumably Rolex service centre would replace any damaged parts when serviced so I do not think it is sacrilege to replace parts. As others have said though keep original parts you can easily put them back if you were to later to sell as vintaged piece.

GC

Very nice, enjoy it often. 

GC

Very nice, enjoy it often.