ThinkBachs

How to: Remove Dial Printing Without Damaging Your Dial

ThinkBachs

Disclaimer: This is based on my experience with a rep Rolex glossy dial. I imagine that it would work on other dials but proceed at your own peril.

First, get some tape. Good stuff, nice and thin. I'm thinking maybe even a wide pin stripe tape would be really good to use. Mask off the area around the print you want to remove. If you don't, you'll probably fuch it up.

I don't know what else will work, but this stuff worked like a charm: Nuvite. It's a metal and paint polish. Take a tooth pick with the teeniest amount of this stuff on the tip, then wipe off the excess. You want the tip to be nice and moist, but not covered with the stuff. This will be enough. Rub very gently the paint you want to remove. It doesn't take a lot of effort. Like you were using an eraser on tissue paper. This will not damage the dial paint, just remove the dial printing.

Rinse the dial with the tape still on it using warm water. Get as much of that stuff off as you can. Mild soap won't hurt. It's not water based so basically you're going to rinse as much excess off as you can. With a cotton tee shirt material, wipe the remaining residue off the dial. No reason you can't rinse again with warm water. Remove the tape and wipe the dial with the cotton fabric. I suggest using different parts of the cotton so as not to keep rubbing the Nuvite residue over other parts of the dial.

This works best if the dial markers are removed. The dial I used to practice on didn't have any markers on it. I don't see why you'd have to remove them though if you decided not to bother.

Because of the dial stamping process, you will be left with an ever so slight impression where the removed print existed. If the dial is going to receive a treatment such as a satin finish (the kind used on guitars) then I don't think it'll be an issue at all. As it stands, you really really have to look hard to even notice it.

Here's the junk/practice dial I used- notice the damage in the center caused by attempting to remove dial printing with the "Paint thinner-Dremel polishing wheel" method.

Nuvite-Dial-Printing-Removal-2.jpg

Nuvite-Dial-Printing-Removal.jpg

The crown printing shows some depreciation as a result of not cleaning the dial after using the Nuvite. Also note that any scratches or dullness is a result of this dial swimming around in my parts box and not from the Nuvite. Nuvite is a polishing agent and will not scratch or dull the dial finish.

• Like 1

Member X

Nice one, thank you :)

ThinkBachs

I couldn't believe how great it worked out. My intention was to use it with a polishing wheel to see how it worked out, but to my surprise it softened the dial printing to the point where all that was needed was a soft clean cloth. The tooth pick wood is softer than the baked on dial paint (I'm assuming because of its durability and resistance to reacting to the NuShine II, so there were no marks left by it.

KeNnY

not all glossy rep rolex dials are this way.. I will post pictures later about what I am writing here now. My glossy dial, had got text printed directly on the dial, and then the dial and text on it was varnished/sprayed with clear varnish/aerosol... So when I wanted to remove, some text, I first stripped off the glossy varnish and THEN the dial text printing.. :popcorn:

• Like 1

metalmex

I found that Rain-X worked well and didn't wreck the dial. Use a qtip and rub it out, then dry with the other end.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Talk about a necro bump. ...

tenorfacbed87e4328044.gif