Gumbo

Bought My First Rep and Problems!

Gumbo

Hi,

First post but I’ve been a follower for a while.

I fancied a PAM for some time, so when a long standing TD on here offered some great deals on the PAM00253, I finally caved and ordered one.

The buying process was very smooth and I had the watch in my hand 10 days after ordering.

The watch was everything I hoped for and I was very happy with my purchase.

One week later and the deployment clasp failed. Only one half opens which made it difficult to get on and off. I emailed the TD who advised there was nothing he could do as the factory had been shut down. Ho hum, and I ordered a replacement from Etsy last week. These things happen and I wasn’t going to let it ruin the enjoyment of my new watch.

Fast forward to this evening and I’m walking around the supermarket and heard some glass hitting the floor. I looked down and saw a few splinters so I picked them up and put them in the nearest bin as there were kids in sandals all over the store. I couldn’t make out where the glass came from but presumed it must’ve been the remains of a food jar that had been smashed sometime before.

When I got home, I checked the time and my watch looked different. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it - until I did put my finger on it! The glass had gone! Absolutely devastated! Having looked through this and other forums since, I see I’m not the first unfortunate who’s PAM00253 rep has suffered a similar fate. Woe is me...

So I’m asking for advice. I don’t see much point in going back to the TD given that he couldn’t help with the clasp. What are my other options? Or is the watch a write off? I’m loathed to put good money after bad, but I would be seriously gutted to never wear it again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BadApple

I would send it back for repair. 

Luxuracer
20 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Any suggestions?

Even though I own a few PAMs, I am NOT a PAM expert. All PAM look the same to me ... :baghead:

As for suggestion, you can source a replacement crystal for your watch. Find a local watchsmith or forum modders to do the replacement for you. 

Hopefully one of our PAM 'expert' can help. @Daffy @deju @mysterio

Oh .... Some pictures would be helpful too.

Luxuracer
3 minutes ago, BADAPPLE12 said:

I would send it back for repair. 

Or contact a Mod (those guy in BLUE) to ask for help working thing out with the TD.

fatarms

Looks like the 253 has a domed crystal, from what I've read here, I've noticed more people having exploding crystal problems with this style than with any other.  I'd contact the TD to see if they can source another crystal.  Check Kuvarsit's section in the TD section.  They just posted a thread about possibly sourcing some replacement parts for reps.

elp

Same thing happened with my first 127, no vigorous exercise was involved :)

As suggested, email the TD.  Even if the factory is closed, you should be able to work something out. Whether it's a part credit, part refund, repair, etc. If the TD is not being helpful, ask a Moderator for assistance.

Oh, and welcome to the club.

Gumbo

Thank you everyone.

I’ve emailed the TD and will report back once I’ve heard back from him.

The watch is from the H Factory which I understand was shut down.

deju

Toro has them on special as they are end of line. 

I would contact DSN, he may have a dome crystal that will fit. 

PCJ

Had something similar happen to one of my reps and I ended up having to send it back.

Alternatively, you could buy a plexi glass and have it fitted, but that'll cost you more $$ and from my experience the TD won't even entertain offering a partial refund to cover that cost.

Mr Stubbs
30 minutes ago, deju said:

Toro has them on special as they are end of line. 

I would contact DSN, he may have a dome crystal that will fit. 

I may be missing something, but I don't think Toro still does...?

Speaking of missing something, my 127 had the same misadventure and it's been waiting patiently for me to find a new crystal.

deju
2 hours ago, Mr Stubbs said:

I may be missing something, but I don't think Toro still does...?

www.toro.fun/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2791

grab a wso crystal from eBay a good upgrade for 127!! 

Gumbo

Hi Guys,

The TD has replied....

Perhaps I’m expecting too much but all I got in response to my telling him the glass had failed was “need new case $120”.

I’d hoped he might offer to repair it given it hasn’t even lasted a month.

Not overly keen on spending another $120 and the additional cost if getting a watchsmith to fit it.
Gutted!

Should I contact a mod and see if they can help now?

deju
10 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Hi Guys,

The TD has replied....

Perhaps I’m expecting too much but all I got in response to my telling him the glass had failed was “need new case $120”.

I’d hoped he might offer to repair it given it hasn’t even lasted a month.

Not overly keen on spending another $120 and the additional cost if getting a watchsmith to fit it.
Gutted!

Should I contact a mod and see if they can help now?

It’s one of those things, you can’t prove you didn’t smash it, he can’t prove you did.

Sending it back would be a pain in the ass. 

I doubt the mods would be able to do anything I’m afraid! 

$120 for a new case that you can swap into with basic tools is probably quicker and cheaper than sourcing the crystal and finding a watch smith with a press for it. 

BadApple

Ask for a new glass to be shipped out FOC - it will take a watchsmith no time to swap.

mysterio

It really depends on the TDs terms and conditions (which is not the same for every TD). Did you let a local watchmaker handle the watch? Did you perform any repairs on the watch? The answers to those questions may indicate how a TD will respond. I would suggest getting a mod at the very least talk to your TD. Good luck!

Gumbo
55 minutes ago, mysterio said:

It really depends on the TDs terms and conditions (which is not the same for every TD). Did you let a local watchmaker handle the watch? Did you perform any repairs on the watch? The answers to those questions may indicate how a TD will respond. I would suggest getting a mod at the very least talk to your TD. Good luck!

From his website: "9. -  All our watches have a 6 month warranty, otherwise noted in the announcement. Warranty does not cover water damage." 

Given that the watch is less than a month old and has failed in two unrelated respects, I would hope the warranty would come into play here.

I'm going to go back to the TD and question the warranty. If I don't get any joy then I'll get a mod involved.

1 hour ago, BADAPPLE12 said:

Ask for a new glass to be shipped out FOC - it will take a watchsmith no time to swap.

Pretty sure he's not going to do that... When I asked about shipping me a replacement clasp that failed a after a couple of weeks, he told me there were no parts available as H Factory had been shut down.

1 hour ago, deju said:

It’s one of those things, you can’t prove you didn’t smash it, he can’t prove you did.

Sending it back would be a pain in the ass. 

I doubt the mods would be able to do anything I’m afraid! 

$120 for a new case that you can swap into with basic tools is probably quicker and cheaper than sourcing the crystal and finding a watch smith with a press for it. 

There's a few threads on forums where people have had the same issue with other PAM reps with domed glass, so I can't imagine the TD isn't aware of this "caveat". 

Regarding the new case, I'd presumed the movement and everything else would need moving across?

Edited by Gumbo

Gumbo

After much back and forthing with the TD this morning, no dice. He's not prepared to accept it's a fault and the best he can do is the new case which seem pointless as the a whole new watch is only an additional $30 - moreover, I'm not keen on spending any more on it as the glass might fail again! 

How do I get in touch with a mod?

GingerApple

What s bad first experience, unlucky dude. Don't let it put you off forever, this is not the norm.

Re mods, scroll to near the bottom of the homepage where there is a list of all the people currently online. The mods are the people whose names are blue. Click on a mod and PM them with your info.

BadPickle

there's a few tales of these particular glasses smashing for no reason at all, best thing you can do is measure the glass size/hole size with digital callipers, then get something from cousinsUK which looks as near as dammit to the original. Mineral glass is a few quid, sapphire is a few quid more, then get a repair guy off the TD list to fit it for you. 

good luck 

1 hour ago, Gumbo said:

After much back and forthing with the TD this morning, no dice. He's not prepared to accept it's a fault and the best he can do is the new case which seem pointless as the a whole new watch is only an additional $30 - moreover, I'm not keen on spending any more on it as the glass might fail again! 

How do I get in touch with a mod?

Mr Stubbs
10 hours ago, deju said:

www.toro.fun/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2791

grab a wso crystal from eBay a good upgrade for 127!! 

Sincere thanks deju, I'm having a facepalm moment.  Not worth saying  how I managed to miss that!  The wso crystal is a very good suggestion.

To  Gumbo:  your concern is very reasonable, considering the situation as you've described it.   I think your argument is a good one. It's also good to see this thread staying on track.

Please know that this may seem common when we share similar experiences, but it is still a small part of the rep hobby.

Good luck!

GenTLe

The Clasp thing that isn't available is bullshit: it is plenty of Panerai clasps on AliExpress or DHgate, but one thing is to obtain it for free from a factory, another is to put out those 15$ that is requested for such part (to us, because I believe they pay much less....). And the guarantee stuff is also often bullshit, depending on the "trusted" dealer selected.
Some are smaller, maybe don't have a flashing web site or accepting PayPal but they maintain their word.
It is true that the crystal may be hard to find: if the factory is gone the dealer can't get the exact same one and who knows if another crystal from another factory fits that case...

onionbag

The mods have phoned me....yes me!! Earlier....there was a load of them, Del was pushed to the front,...coughs. You, fuck off...so I did.

Contact a Moderator.

Gumbo

Sorry for taking ages to come back with an update.

I've decided to put this down as experience and move on. I was thinking I'd put it up on the M2M section but not sure what to ask for it? It's literally been worn for a fortnight and is as good as new - oh, except for having no glass.....

Any advice as to what I should ask for it?

Wriggles
12 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Sorry for taking ages to come back with an update.

I've decided to put this down as experience and move on. I was thinking I'd put it up on the M2M section but not sure what to ask for it? It's literally been worn for a fortnight and is as good as new - oh, except for having no glass.....

Any advice as to what I should ask for it?

its worth what someone will pay for it, market forces determine value here as everywhere else.  Decide what you would pay for it if you were a buyer in the scenario, then stick it up. If it's too high nobody will go for it and you can price drop, if low enough or lower it'll be snapped up, possibly along with your fingers!!

All that aside, you don't meet the criteria to sell so you may hold off for a while yet