Sign in to follow this  
Pentax

Where can I find the Best IWC 3717?

Pentax
Pentax,

I am struggling with a similar dilemma, Genstein vs Franken. How far do I go. I have all the parts available to me, but is that really what I want? In the States, if a car has been totaled, it is given a "Salvage Title'. It is to let everybody know that it is for parts only. Some people will buy salvaged cars and create a new one. They go to the DMV and get an exemption. It does however, carry that Salvage Title. You cannot take these cars to the dealer for warranty work no matter how many miles or how new. And some shops will not work on them.

A genstein seems to have a Salvaged Title to me. It has no benefits of a gen, it's just as authentic as it can be, but not a gen. Concpeta was wrong for ever suggesting that you could take this watch in to an AD and get it authenticated. It was your post, I hope that you read that post carefully. Anyone that does this deserves to have their watch confiscated! When the parts with serial #'s leave the factory, they are tracked and labeled as replacements. When the AD looks at the serial #, he will know.

The way I see it, if I can let someone handle my watch, and they can see the difference between a gen case and a rep case, they deserve all the praise. To me, the REP CHALLENGE is to see how close I can get to the Gen. Using all gen parts, any monkey can do that. But if I work the rep case back to get it to look like gen, then I am getting to where I want to be.

Right now I am leaning towards a rep case and bracelet, and gen face, handset, day date wheels, and an uber swiss 7750 (this guy trains the chronograph technicians). I could have a gen rotor, but am not sure why I would want it. This is everything that I want in this watch (3717.02 - white spitfire chrono). I will build it for me, to my specifications. I consider this to be extremely customized, not something assembled from replacement parts. With all the Salvagegens being sold, I am not sure I want to be a part of that club . . . Gen Jr's maybe?

To me, it is much more satisfying to compare MY watch to a Gen and say, "I save another $800 over a Salvagegen."

Texski

I could not agree less with your point , but you must know as Zapadeus said in RWG

"Mates, you are walking on thin ice. One could well argue, that already the buying, selling and collecting of reps as such is fraud, support of child labor and what else so ever. Just consult your local customs officer or ask IWC what they think about your hobby as such.

So please accept everyones freedom of mind here, accept the different attitudes of different people and refrain from missionary missions."

I think that man has a point, we are all in the hobby of watches here but each with different Needs

The point were I don't agree though is that the Concepta Genenstein is made from New Parts not Salvaged Parts Which makes the watch Brand new... and I ask you if the Watch smith that assembles them is just as good or better as the Watch smiths Working for IWC does it make a Difference?

Watches are Hand assembled products so I dont think there is much difference is assembled in house or through another watch Wiz

The Extra 1000K that Total gen Costs( Used) is the Money you pay to have Service and Guarantee Even if the Watch would break down I dont think that any of our Watch Wiz will charge you Over 200 for a Full Service ! but dont be fooled a Used watch has no Guarantee you still pay :ttiwwop:

So in the End the Concepta is good value for Money IMHO

If I would find a Rolex Genenstein built from all new Gen parts I would Cash out half its Value , Would you??

Not too expensive if you want standard......Nice watch....

If you want full on, got to concepta.....good value..

+1 Gramman

Dendo

To me it has to be about the rep:gen price ratio. I probably would not buy a rep if it is less than a 1:3 ratio.

1:2 - I would buy the gen every time.

The Genstein will not have a genuine serial number (or the nice box and paperwork etc) - which you might not want but the next person you sell it to will surely ask you for.

BTW Genstein => not a big fan of that name = Genuine stone. Franken, I kind of get, but Genstein........

mspangl

Not Midas again :):ttiwwop::D

C

O

N

C

E

P

T

A

Pentax
To me it has to be about the rep:gen price ratio. I probably would not buy a rep if it is less than a 1:3 ratio.

1:2 - I would buy the gen every time.

The Genstein will not have a genuine serial number (or the nice box and paperwork etc) - which you might not want but the next person you sell it to will surely ask you for.

BTW Genstein => not a big fan of that name = Genuine stone. Franken, I kind of get, but Genstein........

Dendo which means you would pay 1:2 for a Genstein ? (new parts of course!)

texski

Pentax,

I have questions about the IWC movements that are being sold in these watches. IWC does not sell their movements. You can buy a baseplate with IWC engraving and serial #, and a rotor, but not the movement.

A Top Grade or COSC movement will have different parts with different metal compositions, i.e. - shock protection, balance, hair spring, and main spring, than lesser grades. And not only that, but it is assembled, tested, and adjusted by IWC smiths. Unlike Brietling and Tag, IWC does not depend on ETA to make its movements, they are extensively reworked inhouse. How do you know that you are not getting a Elaboré instead of a Top? IWC uses a special process to reduce friction in their movements. Do you know how they do it? Or more importantly, does your watchsmith know how that is done?

I am rubbed when someone says this is genuine . . . it is not! The parts are genuine.

It's like going to your local Fiat dealership and buy all the parts for a 458 Italia, and then let a mechanic assemble it?

I doubt that your Fiat mechanic is going to be able to tune the engine, set up the suspension, and paint the car like the factory.

I can see the attraction to the idea that it has the appearance of genuine at a fraction of the cost . . . that is the draw of reps.

But don't say that you have a genuine watch.

You have a watch that was assembled from genuine pieces.

Pentax
Pentax,

I have questions about the IWC movements that are being sold in these watches. IWC does not sell their movements. You can buy a baseplate with IWC engraving and serial #, and a rotor, but not the movement.

A Top Grade or COSC movement will have different parts with different metal compositions, i.e. - shock protection, balance, hair spring, and main spring, than lesser grades. And not only that, but it is assembled, tested, and adjusted by IWC smiths. Unlike Brietling and Tag, IWC does not depend on ETA to make its movements, they are extensively reworked inhouse. How do you know that you are not getting a Elaboré instead of a Top? IWC uses a special process to reduce friction in their movements. Do you know how they do it? Or more importantly, does your watchsmith know how that is done?

I am rubbed when someone says this is genuine . . . it is not! The parts are genuine.

It's like going to your local Fiat dealership and buy all the parts for a 458 Italia, and then let a mechanic assemble it?

I doubt that your Fiat mechanic is going to be able to tune the engine, set up the suspension, and paint the car like the factory.

I can see the attraction to the idea that it has the appearance of genuine at a fraction of the cost . . . that is the draw of reps.

Texski

Thats why I quoted it as Genenstein , Apparently by conceptas words he says that all parts are Gen Including the Movement , there is an Option to build it with a 7750 Movement with IWC Rotor about 150 Euros Less

But I dont know, maybe you know something that I dont and you are trying to tell me beneath the Table????'

You also have a Point there Mate !

wat44

how is anyone to know if the movement Concepta uses is gen or not?

we just trust him that it is, I assume...

Pentax
how is anyone to know if the movement Concepta uses is gen or not?

we just trust him that it is, I assume...

on RWG he made a comment that you could take one of he's watchs to an AD and have have papers Issued for about 50Bucks , Many Members on RWG Really got Angry with him Even Chieftang so he re-edited that comment

I dont know I will just have to take concepta by he's Word and the Forum Feedback

wat44

ok - no worries - If I had the spare dosh - Id buy a concepta too!

looking forward to review against standard rep 3717!!!

Baldrick

AHHH...the wafting scent of A1 sauce, lavishly garnishing a generous saute of 'Folly of Youth" on a bed of delicately bruised rocket salad ( i:e, your cabbage head ) ;)

"more money than sense' springs to mind, :)

Here's the solution to your problem, tell Concepta that you'll buy one of his 'genesteins' on the basis that you take it to an IWC AD and when and if they give you the provenance and accreditation, you'll send him payment with a premium on top, let us know his response, I'm certain we'll be uncertain ;)

BTW, why don't you feed the $1400+ back into the Greek economy and start paying back your debts !

And even that may be questionable !

David543

When you start talking that money, and can buy a gen for a little more I would get the gen. If you ever want to see, the franken is a rep and even if you can sell it, will have a limited residual market. If you have bought the gen second hand there is no reason to see it losing much, if any, money. So you could actually save money in the long run by buying the gen! :)

Pentax
AHHH...the wafting scent of A1 sauce, lavishly garnishing a generous saute of 'Folly of Youth" on a bed of delicately bruised rocket salad ( i:e, your cabbage head ) B)

"more money than sense' springs to mind, :lol:

Here's the solution to your problem, tell Concepta that you'll buy one of his 'genesteins' on the basis that you take it to an IWC AD and when and if they give you the provenance and accreditation, you'll send him payment with a premium on top, let us know his response, I'm certain we'll be uncertain B)

BTW, why don't you feed the $1400+ back into the Greek economy and start paying back your debts !

And even that may be questionable !

Firstly my Cash Flow is enough to buy Gens so This Cabbage Head is having he's fun with the The Rep World ;) until he gets board and looks for another hobby to spend he's cash :ninja: You never strike out blindly; you fail in the light

Secondly all the countries that have Stolen and Bought Stolen Ancient Artifacts From Greece kindly send them back or Give us the Profits we ave lost over the years and the ones you are currently making. so that we can pay you back your Debts!!! ;)

I should Ask Concepta what you have Quoted ! Great Idea! Baldrick

;)

solkryssare

I dont care what any of you say. All gen parts and half price compared to a used gen!? Give me two!

Baldrick
Secondly all the countries that have Stolen and Bought Stolen Ancient Artifacts From Greece kindly send them back or Give us the Profits we ave lost over the years and the ones you are currently making. so that we can pay you back your Debts!!

Returning the artifacts might cancel out your debt, it won't tickle your EU debt, Greece is about to default, whilst selling off your country's best silver :ttiwwop:

phanto

yes, concepta does have a source for gen 3714 parts and 3717 parts. He gets a watchmaker to assemble it and ship it to you.

However, I read a thread with bad feedback about him, sending a dead 3714 once, and then delaying the repair and reshipment of it to multiple months.

Luthier

Why not to buy good 3717 replica, and genuine Valjoux 7750? Then gen. dial and hands, easy to find...

That's it! All for less than a grand. It's stupid to spend more on replica anyway.

solkryssare

You could do that Luth, and it would be one hell of a rep. But I see the concepta IWC, not as gens but as ultimate reps. A rep so good not even the head of IWC could tell it was not made at his factory. For that I think the price is fair. And I dont know about you guys, but to me there is a big difference between 1500 and 3000 euro. Service and resale could all be taken care of here and I bet I wouldnt lose more money selling one of these than I would a used gen. IWC dont hold their value very well and do not make a good investment.

solkryssare

Another thought is this.

All the "gen" vintage Rollies for example. They pretty as fuck and pricey enough to make your friends envy. But at the tender age of 40, how much Roelx is left? Yes all parts MIGHT still be genuine but several of them have been replaced along the way during countless services and the watch been taken apart so many times, the "finger prints" and "DNA" of the Rolex factory is long gone. Is this still not seen as a genuine and prestigious Rolex watch?

Im not saying Conceptas are the same but saying they are not worth the money of their parts, which the 1500 more or less is, seems strange to me. I would love one of his 3717.

Pentax
Another thought is this.

All the "gen" vintage Rollies for example. They pretty as fuck and pricey enough to make your friends envy. But at the tender age of 40, how much Roelx is left? Yes all parts MIGHT still be genuine but several of them have been replaced along the way during countless services and the watch been taken apart so many times, the "finger prints" and "DNA" of the Rolex factory is long gone. Is this still not seen as a genuine and prestigious Rolex watch?

Im not saying Conceptas are the same but saying they are not worth the money of their parts, which the 1500 more or less is, seems strange to me. I would love one of his 3717.

+1 Sol Well said!

wat44

pentax - I missed the concepta V. regular 3717 rep review where is it?

wat44

that is rep v gen isnt it?

I thought you were thinking of concepta V regular rep review?

no hurry

Pentax
that is rep v gen isnt it?

I thought you were thinking of concepta V regular rep review?

no hurry

Wat there is no difference its the same thing mate;)

Luthier

Exactly. No any difference, except the price.

Solkry, my cousin has full gold Rolex President Day/Date, bought in 1975, and it cost a small fortune now. Never serviced, works perfectly, like brand new condition, and it's his daily beater since the day he bought it.