GC

Updated :Sharkey LJM 62mas w Seiko NH35 movt...

GC
On 01/07/2018 at 18:57, KarmaToBurn said:

I purchased the watch when it was first released through http://www.heimdallrwatches.com who are the manufacturers of the Sharkey brand watches. So far I've had no issues with the one I received and I personally think it looks great. It's well built, has a good size and some fairly strong lume that I can read all night. The rubber strap is also quite soft, comfortable and unscented (not a lint magnet either). The whole package arrived in less than a week after ordering and you get the watch, a warranty card and a small plastic box. I currently have over 50 watches and this one manages to get worn fairly regularly and I have no plans to sell it in the future. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I recently lost my phone and all the pictures on it but here are a few pics from when I first received the watch... 

IMG_20180320_172006-01.jpg

IMG_20180320_173019-01.jpg

Also, if you're interested in Seiko homages  highly recommend the Uroborus MM300. I purchased it through a Taobao shipping agent for around $200 and it is soooo nice. 

Uroborus_MM300-2.jpg

@KarmaToBurn, might you be able to help me procure one of those Uroborus ? 

KarmaToBurn
2 hours ago, GC said:

@KarmaToBurn, might you be able to help me procure one of those Uroborus ? 

No problem. I ordered mine on TaoBao through SpreeNow. If you can read Chinese you can probably skip the SpreeNow buying agent 10% fee. Price was about 300 yuan less when I placed my order. Also, before placing your order be sure to make your buying agent confirm availability for shipping. Here's a link to the product

The same factory also has a quartz 42mm Halios Puck homage available for pre-order if anyone's interested.

RepGuy
31 minutes ago, KarmaToBurn said:

No problem. I ordered mine on TaoBao through SpreeNow. If you can read Chinese you can probably skip the SpreeNow buying agent 10% fee. Price was about 300 yuan less when I placed my order. Also, before placing your order be sure to make your buying agent confirm availability for shipping. Here's a link to the product

The same factory also has a quartz 42mm Halios Puck homage available for pre-order if anyone's interested.

I've been looking everywhere for those Halios Puck homages, but I'm disappointed to see they're making it a quartz.

fatarms

That Uroborus looks really good.  I remember looking at those about a year ago.  Really like that homage for a fraction of the price.

GC
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

That Uroborus looks really good.  I remember looking at those about a year ago.  Really like that homage for a fraction of the price.

Sir, I can’t decipher the information in the link. If you manage to figure it out and place an order, I’ll send you the funds to order a second. 

fatarms
50 minutes ago, GC said:

Sir, I can’t decipher the information in the link. If you manage to figure it out and place an order, I’ll send you the funds to order a second. 

KarmaToBurn said he had to go to SpreeNow.com to get an agent who charges 10% to broker the deal.  I can't read Chinese, but I remember a thread where I was following these types of watches (I think on watchuseek?) and they also mentioned going through SpreeNow to get their watches as well. 

GC
7 minutes ago, fatarms said:

KarmaToBurn said he had to go to SpreeNow.com to get an agent who charges 10% to broker the deal.  I can't read Chinese, but I remember a thread where I was following these types of watches (I think on watchuseek?) and they also mentioned going through SpreeNow to get their watches as well. 

Spree now it is... what ever the hell that is. Begins research. ;) 

dfq23

Superbuy is the one I literally just used yesterday to order something from Taobao after looking at reviews online.  Their website is available in English and you just copy and paste the link for the watch you want into their page and they sort the translation etc out.

Then it was pretty much just like using Aliexpress or DH gate, plus I was able to pay with Paypal.  They now order the watch, get it delivered to them, take pics of it for me to confirm its what I ordered then I choose the shipping option and they forward it on.  They don't charge any commission but compared to some others their shipping is supposedly a bit higher but when I looked at the rates they seemed fine to me.  About $30 for EMS for example or $15 for HK post so on par with TDs here

KarmaToBurn
12 hours ago, RepGuy said:

I've been looking everywhere for those Halios Puck homages, but I'm disappointed to see they're making it a quartz.

They also have one with the Seagull ST2130 but it's the 47mm case instead of the reduced 44mm.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-13544669098.5.27d656b711oQVa&id=538446080336

9 hours ago, fatarms said:

Yup. Spreenow is how I picked up my Sharkey Tuna and Uroborus MM300. I always make sure to just ask if they are available for shipping before actually making my order though.

8 hours ago, GC said:

Spree now it is... what ever the hell that is. Begins research. ;) 

If you have any questions about the process feel free to shoot me a PM .

5 hours ago, dfq23 said:

Superbuy is the one I literally just used yesterday to order something from Taobao after looking at reviews online.  Their website is available in English and you just copy and paste the link for the watch you want into their page and they sort the translation etc out.

Then it was pretty much just like using Aliexpress or DH gate, plus I was able to pay with Paypal.  They now order the watch, get it delivered to them, take pics of it for me to confirm its what I ordered then I choose the shipping option and they forward it on.  They don't charge any commission but compared to some others their shipping is supposedly a bit higher but when I looked at the rates they seemed fine to me.  About $30 for EMS for example or $15 for HK post so on par with TDs here

Yup. Superbuy is the other main option as a buying agent. I like that they both accept PP but I think the final cost winds up about the same at around 15% more than if you can read Chinese and do the order yourself through TaoBao. 

What did you order yesterday through them?

dfq23

Just some trainers to see if how it works before i go balls deep!

J!m

I was considering one of the Sharkey 62MAS watches and installing a gen crown and reproduction dial and hands available on ebay.

Has anyone torn into theirs to tell me why I can't do that?

I'd go for the aluminum insert by the way, not ceramic. Old school...

And what about the case back?

And for those interested, Uncle Seiko has good vintage style straps for these. I'll head there once I sort out the other stuff)

GC
20 hours ago, J!m said:

I was considering one of the Sharkey 62MAS watches and installing a gen crown and reproduction dial and hands available on ebay.

Has anyone torn into theirs to tell me why I can't do that?

I'd go for the aluminum insert by the way, not ceramic. Old school...

And what about the case back?

And for those interested, Uncle Seiko has good vintage style straps for these. I'll head there once I sort out the other stuff)

Technically you will wind up with a rep of the SLA017 because of the larger size @ 40mm, apart from the case back. 

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-seiko-prospex-diver-sla017-based-on-the-first-seiko-diver-6217-from-1965-and-the-prospex-diver-s

GC

Update: watch arrived today, 5 days from the date of purchase/payment. 

It’s a sharp looking watch, a lot of polished bits and bobs. I opted for the non lumed bezel version, it is still ceramic  and the pip is lumed. 

ECB00_A4_E-6_A14-41_B4-_A623-_A4_A1839_D

Here is a wrist shot under completely different lighting. 

AF826_AFB-00_C1-4959-_A29_A-1_EF585_AE6_

J!m

I really like this!

I'm torn between saving for a gen, or getting a rep (of some description) such as this. I see a lot of modded ones on the bay but they don't have the sharp case or lug holes...

GC
9 hours ago, J!m said:

I really like this!

I'm torn between saving for a gen, or getting a rep (of some description) such as this. I see a lot of modded ones on the bay but they don't have the sharp case or lug holes...

Holy heck, if you can afford the gen SLA017... get it!!! (Only because they are collector pieces) 

Don't let the LJM logo bother you, it disappears half the time because it’s mirror polished like the old Seiko logos used to be. 

Everthing about the Sharkey is superb, the case finish and bezel action are second to none. Truly amazing what you get for $220. 

You are totally correct about the modded 62mas dialed 7s26-0040 & 0050s you find on eBay... the cases are all wrong to get the vintage look. 

Lets be clear, the Sharkey is a straight up Rep/Homage of the reissue SLA017, and I’m totally good with that. It actually has a few more upgrades than the SLA017 as it has a ceramic bezel insert where the SLA017 only has a lacquered bezel. Admittedly it uses an inferior movement compared to the Gen. 

306_B98_A0-7_C5_A-4_D66-9444-_ADF81_AD92

Did I mention the case back... also nicer than the gen SLA017 imho

818_C95_EF-_DBB5-4_BB6-_A0_B0-8_F63_C584

And lastly a side by side next to the SKX009

E1_F0_CD80-_A7_CD-49_F6-_B608-1599022_DD

In in my opinion, Seiko should have made this exact watch and sold it for $500-$700 instead of the hyper limited SLA017 of which there are only 2000 in the world. 

Edited by GC
Spelling

J!m

I want the 62MAS not the ‘17 (although I’d take it if given to me). 

Plus they cost less!!!

GC
3 hours ago, J!m said:

I want the 62MAS not the ‘17 (although I’d take it if given to me). 

Plus they cost less!!!

You make a good point. I look forward to seeing what you decide on... with anticipation! 

J!m

I need so sell some other stuff to get liquid again... Overspending on gen parts the end of last month has wiped me out!

GC

C9_EF8_FD2-46_E0-42_E6-_A46_D-_A986809_A

G_sus

Holy NecroBump Batman!

Anybody know a seller of these or willing to part with one?

Im loving the design, but not the current dial with the SAN MARTIN or sterile version