dman535

Sub Bezel Really Hard to Turn

dman535

My Cartel 5512 bezel is really stiff, almost impossible to turn. I popped it off cleaned and polished the shim. It helped a little bit but still really tough to turn. I installed the bezel without the shim and it spins a little to free.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks

D.-

cpd2186

Are you pressing the bezel down before you turn? They aren't meant to just spin freely.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dman535

Yes - but it still won't move.

How prone are the crystal retainers to get bent out of shape and will that cause a problem?

Everything seems to be seated ok and if I take the shim out the bezel moves great, it just has no tension.

cpd2186

Sounds like it may be your shim. See if the outside diameter is too large ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

J!m

Many of the rep shims have a "burr" on the edge from stamping them out.

Put a piece of 600 grit on a piece of plate glass, steal the dish sponge from the kitchen, add a bit of water and rub the shim on the paper with the sponge in a figure eight pattern. Flip it over and do the other side.

Do this until the surfaces are a nice even matte finish.

If it makes you feel better, when I use the aftermarket bezel assemblies, I often have to mix-n-match parts from three to get one working nicely. I prefer the 'feel' to be a little loose, because I can "taco" the spring and get the friction just right (as compared to gen ones).

Also, the gen ones are not exactly perfect either. Some are easier than others...

raspymcnasty

if you search through the forums you can find out how to pop it off, it may be dirty or a little too big. Just shave the insert retaining ring a little