WatchDog21

Seiko TT "Day Date" rejuvenation along side a 4004

WatchDog21

Back in March I picked up a VERY used Seiko 4004 "for parts or repair"; I think for about $10.  You may recall when I was working on it

Well remember at the same time I picked up another Seiko (5Y23-8A69) "for parts or repair - may just need a battery" :lol: 

39332417990_7b8f347020_b.jpg

I bought it just for the bracelet so that worked out ok.

I then began to see if I could get a replacement 5Y23 movement.  Turns our the movement is discontinued and there is really no replacement.  Well I kept my eyes open for another in anticipation of doing  a movement swap or whatever it took just to get a nice Seiko "Day Date".  Readily available on eBay but most were going for $50 and up so I passed.  Turns out just the other week one became available for about $25.  It was in rough shape but the important part was the movement worked!  I purchased it  for the movement but since it was all gold the bracelet would not work for what I wanted.  The original bracelet now on the 4004 was also just a tad small and there were no additional links :sad:.  So I kept watching ebay....

Fast forward to just a few days ago.  I was watching a lot of GS crystals that I was going to pick up and decided to look at the sellers other items.  BINGO, he had a TT  5Y23-8A69 for parts or repair!  Bid on it and the crystals and won them both.

The movement was definitely hosed but I could care less, I got a Seiko TT bracelet with all the links that would fit!

29310484058_7fd9e95ab0_b.jpg

So of all three none of them had a decent crystal.  I picked up a replacement from Esslinger and I was in business.  Three watches into 1 but I am happy.  Now, once I am more confident in my movement swapping skills I can change the dial to a blue or gold if I ever want.

43122404002_b630235dbb_b.jpg

End Results:  A Nice Seiko 4004 and the Day Date!

43181542011_d8f20b253e_b.jpg

42463249064_0c19fbcf33_b.jpg 

Luxuracer

Nice work ... as always ... @WatchDog21

It would be too much work to swap out the dial ... You should look for 2 working movements ... so you can just swap out the whole dial and movement assembly.

But .... in hunting for 2 movements ... you might end up with 4 more dials and 3 cases ... :daffy:

NCRich

Nice watch.

NLqNe5G.jpg?1

Waspy
On 03/07/2018 at 22:35, WatchDog21 said:

End Results:  A Nice Seiko 4004 and the Day Date!

42463249064_0c19fbcf33_b.jpg 

Great post WatchDog21!

RUSH2112

Impressive

CollieWobbles

Well done to you sir.