John45

Would appreciate some help with vintage gen Patek

John45

I was discussing watches this evening with the daughter and widow of a dear friend who died last year.  Turns out that he had a Patek Philippe that he never wore because he felt that it was too flashy for him.  His daughter said she believed that the watch was about 60 years old and that he only wore it a couple of times.  

When I asked about a box and papers, she stated that they were left behind in Iran when the family escaped during the revolution and that the watch was worn under a sweater to get it out.  That means the watch is at least 40 years old.   The watch is solid gold and I can vouch that the PP is in mint condition.

First question is "what is it and what is it worth"?  Second question is "what's the best way to sell it"?  I'm a retired airline pilot so I can meet any potential buyer in any US jewelry store of their choice in order to verify authenticity and make the sale.  Knowing the family, I have no doubt about the watch but would like to get a maximum return for the family.

Thanks so much.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/lybilxx6/

Edited by John45

Genius

IMG_2349.jpg

Lovely watch no idea on the value

IMG_2350.jpg

JSJ

Go onto Chrono24 and search vintage solid gold Patek Philippe.

I found similar watches selling (not buying) from $6k to $10k. Nothing the same. They had box and papers though. If it's really very rare, with that name you might add a zero.

I suggest finding two or three dealers and having the conversation.

I'm not normally a PP fan but that watch oozes class.

By the way, this would be better in the General Discussion thread. It's not a rep review.

DavidAMcC

I agree with @JSJ. You should seek multiple professional assessments and valuations of this watch. Establishing authenticity (in the absence of box and papers) will have a considerable bearing on a solid gold piece like this from a maker like Patek. The difference could be very significant to the value and all but requires expert judgement.

RussP
28 minutes ago, DavidAMcC said:

I agree with @JSJ. You should seek multiple professional assessments and valuations of this watch. Establishing authenticity (in the absence of box and papers) will have a considerable bearing on a solid gold piece like this from a maker like Patek. The difference could be very significant to the value and all but requires expert judgement.

In addition to all of the above, the family can communicate with Patek Phillipe to establish legitimate ownership and obtain paperwork to support valuation/sale of the piece.

I understand that the firm keeps meticulous records of every watch sold since its inception.

_DC_

The reference is 3644, it comes on bracelet as in this version with hidden lugs, or on strap with traditional lugs.

No expert on pricing but seen examples on Chrono24 for around $8000-$10,000

DC