hanski

DG3804b Winding Questions

hanski

I have a couple of questions regarding hand winding a DG3804b (purchased from Esslinger). It's my first time working on this movement or handling one for that matter. I want to know if the following are typical: 

1. When I hand wind the movement in a horizontal position (face up or down) the oscillating weight on the automatic works spins with the wind. Is this normal and is the mainspring being wound when this occurs? If not, what are some likely causes? 

2. When I hand wind the movement in any position, it feels like it occasionally slips or doesn't catch. Stem is firmly attached and clicks in and out of the three positions. Is this normal? If not, what could cause this? 

Leslie

On the first question: Yes, it is normal. But the rotor (oscillating weight) should not spin rapidly when hand-winding (otherwise the auto unit needs some fix).

Leslie

On the 2nd question: this is not normal. I am not a professional, just try to find some help. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I’ll hand wind the movement slowly and suppose it has reached its full power reserve (about 50 turns from empty power). Keep winding it but stop at the point you feel it slips, then, lay the watch still to see if it can run to its specified  full power reserve time. If it runs for shorter time, it could be the mainspring problem as follows: (copied from an RWI post)
On watches that use a 'T' end mainspring, it is probably the catch on the barrel arbor, or the mainspring was not curved correctly when it was installed.
Watches with a 'hole' end mainspring can have the same problem at the other end with the barrel catch.