Camineet

intro

Camineet

hi all,

just decided this week that i'm interested in reps. my collecting has been exclusively seiko because i've lived in japan, speak the language, and admire the japanese people (even though they're flawed as all humans are). i feel good buying their products and supporting their economy.

always thought reps were definitely not for me.

for years i've seen certain pieces from luxury euro-brands that i've had some interest in. but, i have always sworn that when my investments go nuclear and i have buckets of cash, i'll never buy western european, UK, or northern european watches because i don't have any appreciation for a watch with a $10k pricetag which is $1k watch and $9k marketing. yes, i'm one of those ... what do watch snobs call us guys? donkeys or something?

additionally, i cannot stomach the thought of supplying financial resources to countries whose corrupt childless politicians are selling countries out from underneath the citizens because i know that the companies producing the watches in those countries pay taxes when selling product, and those tax revenues are put into wealth redistribution schemes that further destroy these countries. i've got a german, UK, and northern european friend here and there, and jeez do i feel for them.

my plan for if/when i get rich has always been grand seiko, and nothing else.

but hey, what if, just what if i could have reasonable facsimiles of some of those admittedly cool watches from those suicidal countries? JustBlueFish Watch Reviews did a recent comparison of a gen rolex and the noob counterpart. the results were compelling. a lightbulb switched on.

i live in china, speak the language, and while the chinese are mindless slaves to their totalitarian ham-fisted overlords, who also happen to be themselves in an incestuous bizarre slave and slavemaster arrangement, i do have a lot of love for the chinese. and i very much admire the traditional family values they hold dear among other things.

although i've tried to find some chinese watches that are cool enough to add to the collection, none of them have nailed it for me on styling. while japan and south korea are fashionistas in this part of the world, not a whole lot of that design talent makes its way into the chinese design firms. but if reps are made by chinese, that's basically a chinese watch. and buying them would feel good to me. not as good as buying japanese, but still good.

i particularly enjoy the thought of supporting the efforts of chinese guys feverishly assembling reps in a makeshift temporary factory to scrape together just enough cash to pay the rent and food for the wife and 2 kids he undoubtedly has while NOT buying a euro watch for which the proceeds would be funneled to the very kinds of people who are, well, just not my kinds of people.

Edited by Camineet

Glaude

So you want to buy a rep or not ? :lol: 

Just kidding, welcome to this nuthouse and to this wonderful hobby !

What will be your first replica ? 

WatchDog21

ummm.... well............ interesting intro.  I really do like one particular part of it "Grand Seiko"!

Welcome, I hope you find what you are looking for and can fit in; it can be a rough crowd at times.  Be sure to read all of the newbie stuff, it will save ya lots of headaches!

PlanetZoom

Welcome.  This is a great hobby!

Camineet

mainly

48 minutes ago, Glaude said:

So you want to buy a rep or not ? :lol: 

Just kidding, welcome to this nuthouse and to this wonderful hobby !

What will be your first replica ? 

thanks all for the welcomes

prolly going to try to get a navitimer

btw, i'm doing proper research so as to not screw up any of the operations of the dealers or the others in this community

and i'm reading about how to not mention this or that the payment comment, or not do a paypal dispute. i'll follow all those guidelines for sure

but wonder why crypto isn't promoted in this community. using crypto for payments would eliminate a lot of the fears of TDs operations getting screwed up. jeez, i remember back in '08 when i was in shanghai and paypal limited my acct for logging in from overseas. and when i called and asked for help, this snarky f*ck of an agent told me to open a chinese paypal account if i wanted to use paypal while outside the US. i was like, oh no, this simply will not do.

Glaude
5 minutes ago, Camineet said:

mainly

btw, i'm doing proper research so as to not screw up any of the operations of the dealers or the others in this community

and i'm reading about how to not mention this or that the payment comment, or not do a paypal dispute. i'll follow all those guidelines for sure

but wonder why crypto isn't promoted in this community. using crypto for payments would eliminate a lot of the fears of TDs operations getting screwed up. jeez, i remember back in '08 when i was in shanghai and paypal limited my acct for logging in from overseas. and when i called and asked for help, this snarky f*ck of an agent told me to open a chinese paypal account if i wanted to use paypal while outside the US. i was like, oh no, this simply will not do.

You can pay with BTC with some TD :) 

Luxuracer

Welcome to RWG ... and the Repworld.

I have a solution for you ... buy a rep with a Miyota movement ... then you can say that you're supporting both the Japanese and Chinese economy.

dph.gif

Camineet
54 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Welcome to RWG ... and the Repworld.

I have a solution for you ... buy a rep with a Miyota movement ... then you can say that you're supporting both the Japanese and Chinese economy.

dph.gif

lol right:Applause:

WatchDog21
2 hours ago, Camineet said:

mainly

You are doing well already, good of you!  One guess on the crypto  is that some of the "older folk" are not sure of the "technology".  Change is difficult at times. :thumbsup2:

soundefx

Welcome!  I'm new as well here.

Camineet
7 hours ago, soundefx said:

Welcome!  I'm new as well here.

ty and welcome yourself:D

Camineet
10 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

You are doing well already, good of you!  One guess on the crypto  is that some of the "older folk" are not sure of the "technology".  Change is difficult at times. :thumbsup2:

yes, i understand very well as i'm no spring chicken myself. i'm happy to talk with any community members who want to learn about crypto. here's a piece i generally share with friends and family and anyone else who will listen...

blockchain, which is the underlying technology facilitating bitcoin, will fundamentally alter and transform everything from banking to contracts to identity and immigration, real estate titles and deeds, wills, shipping container logistics, health records, internet data traffic monetization, advertising, transportation, text and voice communication, capital raising and allocation for any project from movies and tv shows to construction of skyscrapers, basically everything under the sun that has to do with organized human activity, information and/or stores of value.

anyone who wants to talk and learn more is welcome to schedule a skype call with me:B):

black263

Crypto?  I'm still trying to get my head around decimalisation.  Twelve and sixpence for a newspaper?  Bloody extortionate.

GenTLe

i don't have any appreciation for a watch with a $10k pricetag which is $1k watch and $9k marketing. yes, i'm one of those ... what do watch snobs call us guys? donkeys or something?

I don't know about snobs but I call people like you "wise" :)

deju

Crypto is still far too volatile as a currency. The value fluctuates so much it’s just another headache in Business to worry about, this past year the swing was mad. 

Coupled with the chinese ban, why bother. 

They can walk into a WU pickup point and collect cash instantly, no hassle. 

I had the whole cost price/profit/value conversation with a friend recently. 

To reiterate the cost to profit ratio of an item is not of any significance as none of us can buy at cost. 

Iphone 8 cost price sub $230.

Rolex Submariner cost price sub $230.

The market sets the true value. 

My Rolex may have cost less than $230 but thanks to their marketing budget and business model, I’ll never be in a situation of selling anywhere near that. 

A painting by an Artist has a cost price of a canvas and some paint, more interestingly not a marketing budget as such but a pure level of hype. Value is created by appreciation, want, supply and demand. 

They go for millions and in some cases over $150million now. 

By your own model you wouldn’t buy a painting. Because the true value is less than market value. 

Which is strange because by my estimation you’re involved in the Stock market which is the worlds only legitimate ponzy scheme. 

Ps welcome to the nut house mate!