Bullmoor

pressure test results

Bullmoor

hello all,

received a replica from a trusted rwg dealer, great experience, very happy with his service, watch has been great however what are your thoughts on these pressure test results.

please see below links to report and video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=153HdudaUOyYHj3gi-PJi3WgPcT0LZv78

https://drive.google.com/open?id=150mSMtXYSRPeCA02v5hrBqn3EJo0tth_

do you agree that this watch will be fine to wear in the pool and shower given there is NOT a stream of bubbles but rather a single bubble? or should i take it to a watchmaker to have the crown checked out?

duddlyboy

No

lrnz

That is a stream of bubbles!

you can see that it's not just 1 of them but it's multiple.

At what pressure was it tested?

Maybe greasing the grown gaskets might help, maybe not, who knows unless you test

Edited by lrnz

Foxindebox

100 meters... as in do not go within 100 meters of the nearest body of water :D

NDJ

Greasing seals doesn't improve water resistance in itself.
Lubricated O-rings just allow casebacks to be tightened more (thereby improving sealing).

I don't think greasing crown gaskets is going to do much to improve water resistance.

In my experience, in replicas often it's the crystal sealing that is the weakest link when it comes to moisture ingress.

Ped
Lubricated O-rings just allow casebacks to be tightened more (thereby improving sealing).
I don't think greasing crown gaskets is going to do much to improve water resistance.
In my experience, in replicas often it's the crystal sealing that is the weakest link when it comes to moisture ingress.

mmmmmmm moisture ingress

———————————————

“People who wear Rolex aren’t wankers, I’ve just noticed many a wanker wear Rolex”

Bullmoor

thanks all.

lrnz
25 minutes ago, NDJ said:

what do you do when you see a leak through the crystal gasket?

J!m
31 minutes ago, NDJ said:

Well, this is not entirely true. (but greased THREADS do improve the ability to tighten further at the same torque)

The reason for o-ring lubrication is to ensure it does not become distorted during installation/tightening, which could cause a leak.  A dry (static) seal o-ring, such as a case back, can be used completely [clean and] dry as long as the case back is seated directly (straight down), rather than screw-on, which would potentially "grab" the o-ring while turning, and then cause the o-ring to "bunch-up" and/or stretch thin. Some reps use a back that goes on flat and is held with screws. It would work for those, but personally I always clean O-rings and then coat them with a thin film of Dow Corning 111. Screw back cases must always be properly lubricated...

Do a google search of "Parker O-rings" and find their technical info. It is intensive and exhaustive. There you will get the REAL deal on O-rings and how they work. You will then understand o-ring groove shape, depth and surface finish and how all of those effect seal quality. I needed to learn all that when I was designing stuff for a former job. It's very "dry" but very informative and I'm glad I know it now.

To the OP: The watch should be disassembled, cleaned well, and inspected carefully. You could replace crown seals only to then learn its the threads of the crown tube in the case that are leaking... No easy way around this if you want to take it in the water... And if it's a Rolex rep, I strongly suggest a gen (or good aftermarket) tube and ONLY gen crown (with new seals). Crystals can be assisted with G-S cement (when used properly) to deal with problems there. But, 99% of rep leakage problems are from contamination and/or general sloppy assembly practices.

I have a "modern" rep inbound at the moment, and will possibly go over my procedures for "waterproofing" the watch when I get around to that. The vintage stuff has been gone over ad nauseam, so you can do a quick search and find plenty. Or check my recent post on my 9411 recase job. That gives some indications.

onionbag

Normally,  I don't wear a rep watch on a foggy day.

McGilli
14 hours ago, peedog said:

mmmmmmm moisture ingress

Every time you make a sexual innuendo or whatever... my eyes always.. and I mean always dart to your profile pic.

Bullmoor

Thank you all, i'm considering taking the replica to a local watchmaker in the hope they can 'seal' the crown and i can hopefully wear this watch in the pool etc.

Do watchmakers normally 'shun' people bringing in replicas? or are they happy to do the work?

onionbag

You have to find a competent person first.  That 's hard to do. Most 'mall' guys/gals a re battery changers. 

You can of course  find someone here by reaching out, if not an a approved modder your're on your own with regard to Mod support.

Have you had your watch tested? You may be surprised...

Bullmoor

thanks onion bag,

i have, please see photo and report from a local battery changer haha

onionbag
36 minutes ago, Bullmoor said:

thanks onion bag,

i have, please see photo and report from a local battery changer haha

So, do you think it should be worn on a foggy day?

Rx4Time

Just have a gen crown installed.  The noob tube is gen spec and should accept the crown and offer water resistance.  This is the setup I've used on my subc, GMT and TC.  GMT passed 10 ATM, TC passed 40 ATM.  Both with gen crystals. 

BTW, the rolex 704 crown is the correct one for a subc

Bullmoor

thank you guys, any idea where i can get a genuine crown online?