stikeforce

Addiction begins. Saying Hi as a new member and looking for advice

stikeforce

Hello ya all

Just became a member after scouring the web and realised there are people just like me. Glad to be part of this community now, and will try my best to be active, and hopefully not too addicted 1 :)

Looking to pop my cherry very soon and was hoping if you guys can help me out. Only wish to purchase high end Reps. 

I am looking to purchase a Rolex Submariner Noob V9 Black colour, as i think it is the safest option to begin my journey,  as it is popular rep and should be in-stock, and most TD should be able to select a good rolex rep over a bad one (let me know if i am on the right track)

I have looked at the TD section and narrowed it down to a few TDs. Can you guy tell me who will be the best TD for me to start with.

What I am looking for in a TD:

1.  Fast responses
  2. Reliable stocks or at least reliable stock check when inquiry placed
  3. ideally a website with regular updated catalog
  4. Easy payment options: Credit Card, Paypal  - for now, not really confortable with TT and WU

Who I am currently considering are:

Look forward to your advice, and how to best proceed.

Again nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for the help.

Thommo82

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

You seem to have done your research and are well on your way. 

I think Trusty ticks all your boxes.

One thing to know is that TD’s generally do not hold stock. Email TD before placing order and check if they can get the watch you want. 

Another good piece of advice, be patient. Things take time, but they do happen.

Mary is my favourite TD. Once you understand this game better you will find you don’t need a catalogue and website. You will know what you want and contact TD’s directly. 

Mary has great Quality control and goes out of her way. 

I read something recently that the V8 Sub was better value than the V9.... something like that. 

Some Rolex expert will chime in soon enough. 

@Glaude  #1

GingerApple

Looks like you've researched well, so fair play and welcome! Start buying lots of watchboxes because when that first watch arrives, you will be addicted.

To answer your questions, I'd say my favourite TD using your criteria is Steve at TheOneWatches.

However as good as I think he is, I don't think he's the best. What I'd like to get you to accept is that you should get over your fear of WU. Take it from me (and any of the thousands ofChris regular purchasers on here) who  would say to you that if you send cash to ANY of the TDs on this site, your money is perfectly safe. You definitely will be getting the watch you asked for at the end of the process (unless production stops etc in which case you absolutely will get a refu

Think about it; would you prefer to send your credit card details to websites run by people who are effectively criminals (very nice ones, trustworthy and probably for the most part a lot more trustworthy and moral then me) or would you prefer to send cash which cannot in any way be corrupted. Why wouldn't you send cash? Fear of them nicking it? These TDs have been around for years, deal in thousands and thousands of watches per year - the money doesn't get nicked, seriously. That's why they're trusted dealers. So I'd say get over that fear and use Mary. I hear what you say about her not having a website, but just use one of the other operators websites, I tend to use Puretime, find the watch you want, email Mary the link and you're good to go.

Hope this helps!

stikeforce

Wow, this forum is amazing. I was expecting a day or few hours at least but you guys are so fast to respond. I admitted i can become an addict, you are meant to prevent me, seems like being in this forum all you guys are going to make me even more addicted

Regardless Thanks @Thommo82 @GingerBlubba

I hear what you are saying, and yes it seems patience is a running theme everywhere i read. As the title says "Addiction" by its meaning we can't wait :)  but yes agreed will try.

So we have 1 :thumbsup2: for Trusty 1 :thumbsup2: for Steve at TheOneWatch. Surprise surprise there is @Mary Watch name pop up again. 

So till this forum post grows I am still in no mans land deciding on a TD.

@Thommo82 as a noob (ashamedly) I am not sure the detailed difference between Noob V8 and Noob V9. But thing that attracted me to Noob V9 was it seems to have good feedback for its case and bracelet, has a similar movement to the Gen Sub (asia version), and has a 904L steel.

I also came across many that talk about TD  BK, who adapts Rolexes, is his custom service something i should consider? 

Cross my fingers, if the first rep purchase with a good TD goes well I have my eyes on AP Royal Oak, Omega Seamaster and a Navitimer. These should quench my pending addiction for a few weeks :) 

I have many friends also who want to buy Reps, but they are also scared of bad versions and bad traders, so I am kinda a pioneer for my group, soon to bring on more addicts if first order goes well. (feel so ashamed to get them hooked also) :buttkick: 

Thommo82

@stikeforce be careful with getting clone Rolex movements. I don’t have any experience personally, but there are plenty of posts saying they are unreliable. 

Much better to go with Asian clone ETA movements. 

deju

Curveball but some great beginners watches would include; 

Panerai 111 

Omega CRPO 

Tudor black bay 

enjoy the many stages of this hobby! 

First rep is the most exciting. 

elp

Hello & welcome.

My suggestion is to start with the Noob (V whatever) - get familiar with the process, find out what you can and can't live with in terms of difference from gen before spending silly money. It's a very personal journey - some reps I've been happy with as quartzes with glaring differences, others I have had relumed with the right shade to match gen ...

GingerApple
22 minutes ago, stikeforce said:

I also came across many that talk about TD  BK, who adapts Rolexes, is his custom service something i should consider

I'd say no; certainly not for your first.

I'd also recommend ARF over the v9, but I'm a bit of a fanboy. I also have a v8 and it's an excellent watch. Unless you've got amazing eyes, you'll be over the moon with av8, v9 or ARF. I think the V8 is basically a v9 but with a different, less authentic (but borderline unnoticeable) 'blend' of steel. I've read recent threads on RWI talking about the bezel paint coming off on water and even just through use lol!!! I'm not sure how big a problem that is, but if I were considering the v9, I'd be researching that aspect a lot more personally.

Chixisigma

If payment is a big thing for ya, may I suggest @LawrenceWatch?

I had a great experience with him. Can chat on Telegram and pay using TransferWise  :)

Any TD can get any watch but prices vary, as does QC. 

Welcome, bro

Chi

Thommo82

So far as Western Union goes, I don’t have an issue with it. I think it just has a stigma around it because if you send the money to someone dodgy you likely won’t see it again. But TD’s are not dodgy. 

Some TD’s give discounts for WU which can equal the cost of shipping. Toro for example. He’s a great TD btw, and one I highly recommend. 

stikeforce

@Thommo82 deffo, but I meant the movement inside the V9 which is using the  Asia Clone SA 3135 is similar to or close to the Rolex Gen 3135 (correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks @deju nice to see another Londener, I am also in London! I think the Omega CRPO is more of something I like, classic and not complicated dial hopefully less of a chance for TD's to get it wrong. :( another to my must have list gosh...

@elp for sure, trying to take it step by step so my journey to become versed in Rep buying is a good one, I would rather not spend too much at first, but at the sametime want my first experience with a Rep to be a good one, so by that nature I dont feel a older V model will do justice hence leaning towards a newer version V's. Kinda a chicken or egg situation.

Just hope you guys can direct me towards a good TD so i can start well. 

black263

Only thing I don't like about Trusty is the T&Cs.  You have 24 hours from the time the QC pics are sent to raise any queries,  or the watch is yours and is sent without any further communication.  Also, once the QC pics are sent, whether you approve or not, you can no longer cancel the order.  No idea what you can do, but that's what it says in the T&Cs.

The clone Rolex movement can't be seen with the back on, so why pay extra, unless you want to use it as a starting point for Franken.  The Asian Clones of the ETA are proven, reliable, easily and cheaply swapped out if there is a problem.  With the clone 3135, I understand that parts are almost impossible to find if you need repairs, and it's also almost impossible to get your hands on replacement movements.  Give it a few years and this may change, but for now it must be factored into your decision.

Dylan88888

WELCOME

I think this is Mary’s website link below. I’ve used Mary before and always been a good service,  however I tend to just send her an email from the TD section.

http://www.marywatch.net/article.php?id=64

stikeforce

@black263 interesting point, if the 3135 asia movement is at present hard to repair/replace, for sure that has to be something to consider. The ETA Asia clones have been around along time so should be easy to get parts. Regarding Trusty, have you used them before? 

I am usually working on my computer unless on a trip, so should receive their QC emails, but agreed a 24 hour deadline is quite short.

Can anyone corroborate black263 point that 3135 is too new and hard to replace/repair?

@Dylan88888 so is @Mary Watch website updated often? and if I was to go down that route, do we just send her an email, where she updates you on specs your looking for? Does she confirm stock available before asking for payment? Does she have a good refund policy and honers it if the product is not in-stock?

Sorry for these noob basic questions to you guys.

stikeforce
1 hour ago, GingerBlubba said:

I'd say no; certainly not for your first.

I'd also recommend ARF over the v9, but I'm a bit of a fanboy. I also have a v8 and it's an excellent watch. Unless you've got amazing eyes, you'll be over the moon with av8, v9 or ARF. I think the V8 is basically a v9 but with a different, less authentic (but borderline unnoticeable) 'blend' of steel. I've read recent threads on RWI talking about the bezel paint coming off on water and even just through use lol!!! I'm not sure how big a problem that is, but if I were considering the v9, I'd be researching that aspect a lot more personally.

Thanks for the comment about BK, one less question for me to worry about. I guess I will take your advice and skip custom work on Rolex's for now via BK.

Out of interest, have you used his service? Does he actually add significant Value add to Reps to worth considering in the future?

And that point about paint coming off the V9, where exactly on the bezel does the paint come off, if you have a thread link you can share it would be helpful. Gosh something more to dig around. Thanks

Thommo82

@stikeforce I sent a watch back to Mary (long story, not her fault) and it was taking its time to get to her. I was getting worried. She refunded me before even getting the watch back. Watch didn’t even make it to her (which she could see via tracking) and eventually was returned to sender... ME!

Mary told me to keep the watch and the money she had already refunded. 

If that’s not a perfect example of a good refund policy I don’t know what is 

kobepaz

Hi, 

very new member. I am sure this has been asked 100's if not 1000's of times. Currently have a genuine GMT 11. Wanting to venture out and purchase a Presidential 60th Anniversary model. I have a reliable source to purchase from. I am just unsure if the colour is such a huge give away it is a rep? If anyone has a link to a thread or knowledge on this topic i would really appreciate it. 

Thanks 

N

Dylan88888

All I can tell you is the process that I have followed and it’s worked for me. 

Send Mary an email and include a picture of the watch you want. Include the factory or movement etc if you want to be more precise about it.

Use the TD email address posted in the TD section. 

Mary will tell you if she can get it. 

You pay for it and wait. 

Mary will post a picture of the watch for quality checking.

You agree to accept and she posts it to you. 

Then you become half psychotic while you worry about customs or delays in post or tracking or constantly checking for delivery. (All a wonderful part of the experience.) This is not Amazon. 

Watch arrives - elation and polishing. 

6 weeks later - you want to do it all over again. 

stikeforce

Thanks @Thommo82 and @Dylan88888

Surprisingly Mary is popping up allot in this thread :)  Starting to seriously consider Mary even though was last on my list, and does not have a website or CC payments.

Though it seem Mary is excellent at QC, does he offer Waterproof testing, similar to Trusty ( Waterproof test service)

Also how about overhauling and water testing again like Trusty (Overall and Waterproof Service

Thommo82

Even if I was told by a TD that watch had been water tested I wouldn’t take it anywhere near the water unless I had a local guy test it for me. 

Would you purposely crash a car just because your Car salesman said the airbags would save you? 

Bad comparison, but you know what I mean.

Dylan88888

I have heard good thinks about Rollie. Send it to him once you receive it and for a small fee , he could sort waterproofing out for you. 

Glaude

Hi Stikeforce and welcome to the board, you've been already very well informed by my fellow nutters ! 

I see this question from you coming up

3 hours ago, stikeforce said:

is @Mary Watch website updated often?

This is irrelevant you'll learn with time that you go over to which website you like most in terms of general navigation, easy of search (I tend to go on RWI (Replica Watch Info, our sister board) and look at Intime or PureTime websites as they are really easy and pleasant to browse and then you send an email to your favotire TD here with a link of the product to see if they can fetch it for you.
That way you get exactly the best of both worlds, the best TD around here tend not to have a website or not a very enhanced one (Mary Watch, Marvellous Replica).

I have nothing against any of the other TD, but I would suggest Mary because she'll assist you as a first customer and make this whole experience way more pleasant.

3 hours ago, stikeforce said:

does he offer Waterproof testing, similar to Trusty ( Waterproof test service)

Also how about overhauling and water testing again like Trusty (Overall and Waterproof Service

You can go this route if you want, but to be honest, if you want a waterproof service, you should try to find someone locally to do it for you.

@Thommo82 A true #1 indeed !

Moondustesp

Addiction is an understatement. Please someone help me! Oh welcome 

stikeforce

You guys crack me up. So true @Thommo82 I would not go head first into a wall coz it says there is an airbag in my car.

So I am guessing Mary does not do Waterproof testing, just has a good eye for QC and offers more of a Value Add compared to other TD's and looks after Rep virgins :)

It also seems like overall pay via TT or WU is the same as Credit cards. Coz generally most members on the forums say that TD's listed on this forum are reliable overall.

For argument sake, lets say we chose to go with Trusty or Steve from TheOneWatch, due to their ability to accept credit card payments, you think I will get the same watch as Mary can source?

You think I will also get the same service? or is members like @Glaude and @Dylan88888 correct that overall Mary will give me a more pleasant experience as a nooby?

Again thanks to all, you guys are Aces.

Learning from you OG's and hope to help others on this forum as I gain experience. 

Edited by stikeforce

Glaude
2 hours ago, stikeforce said:

For argument sake, lets say we chose to go with Trusty or Steve from TheOneWatch, due to their ability to accept credit card payments, you think I will get the same watch as Mary can source?

You think I will also get the same service? or is members like @Glaude and @Dylan88888 correct that overall Mary will give me a more pleasant experience as a nooby?

They will get you the same watch, you'll probably have no issue with them also, they'll send you QC pics so you'll be able to see for yourself, let’s just say that Mary usually go a step forward in terms of QC. But all TDs are to be trusted in the end.

I think indeed Mary will give you a more pleasant experience as a nooby, but you can't really go wrong with someone else. Just be aware that Trusty Time or Perfect Clones for example are the biggest TD in terms of volume, hence they have their own rules regarding QC (no additional pics, 24h or 48h to reject QC or they are accepted by default). They tend to be less communicative than other TD.

Be aware that payment by direct CC on a TD website will induce higher fees than any other form of payment and will probably require you to phone your bank to authorise the transaction. Direct CC is generally avoided for those reasons