Sign in to follow this  
jdoe

Jules Jurgensen

jdoe

Anyone know much about the quality of watches from Jules Jurgensen?

One that didn't survive the onslaught of Quartz I believe.

jdoe

No photos, no response?

juleslogo.gif

d5130859l.jpg

5804EJulesJurgensen.jpg

l026.jpg

Jules-Jurgensen-Mens-Classic-Two-Tone-Watch.jpg

JulesJurgensen.jpg

jules-jurgensen3.jpg

Takken

I think most of the newer models are trash, sorry but thats just my opinion. The only quality Jules Jurgensen watches you will find are the old ones - vintage, used ones.

Cynikal.Mindset

they look like pieces of shit to be honest

jdoe
they look like pieces of shit to be honest

Entirely agree, particularly the later ones. Now, the earlier ones....

Is the brand well-known?

Owner died last year, and with him the business I believe.

Edited by jdoe

ThinkBachs

Seems to me that it's one of those companies that was great, then was sold off for it's name and abused like a dirty whore. That's the story I'd tell anyway without doing some research. Looks like I'll have to do some research for myself now. It does kinda annoy me when people post something on a slower forum expecting people to snap at it like a pack of starving piranha's, then come back to the post with hurt feelings. When I don't know something I usually Google and research it first, then try to share what I've learned.

At least I'm curious now.

jdoe
When I don't know something I usually Google and research it first, then try to share what I've learned.

I've done that, but not sharing quite yet as I wanted non-conditioned responses, particularly if the Brand rings a bell.

Takken

You have some models like this(from the 50-60's), but they are very expensive (3000$ +++)and have a equal amount better quality build than any of the other you posted pictures of.

:P

111rmtj.jpg

Edited by Takken

jdoe

Seems they were based in Bala Cynwyd, PA towards the end.

Who here is from Pennsylvania?

Cynikal.Mindset

Just like Waltham used to be a great clock/watch company...now they are a walmart brand making u-boat, pilot and other homage/knock-offs

jdoe

I am tempted

Balad1
Seems they were based in Bala Cynwyd, PA towards the end.

Who here is from Pennsylvania?

Mike McNair lives in that town or nearby.

RWG name: mikemcnair

MikeMcNair

I qm like 20 min from BC, I should go there and peep the scene

jdoe

Contacted, let us see if he knows anything on this

jdoe

Owner died last year.

Let's buy the Company (ex assets/liabilities but with archives) :P

$2000? (ie buying the "history" from1740.

Edited by jdoe

jdoe

Maybe last address

Jules Jurgensen Helbros International, Inc.

101 West City Line Avenue 101 East City Avenue Bala-Cynwyd

Bala Cynwyd, 19004 Pennsylvania

USA

phone (610) 667-3500

www.jjwatch.com

Website inop

Edited by jdoe

jdoe
DISSOLUTION NOTICE Notice is hereby given to all persons interested or who may be affected by Jules Jurgensen / Rhapsody, Inc. , a Pennsylvania business corporation, with a registered office at 1 Presidential Blvd., Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004, that the members and directors have approved a proposal that the corporation dissolve voluntarily and that the Board of Directors are now engaged in winding up and settling the affairs of the corporation under the provisions of the Pennsylvania Corporation Law of 1988, as amended. Spector, Gadon & Rosen, P.C., Solicitors Seven Penn Center, 7th Fl. Phila., PA 19103

Posting Date: 02/04/2011

http://eznotice.com/notices/2606301

Better hurry up if we're to take this one over. Emailed solicitor.

This truly is a nuthouse, I've definetively gone overboard! :band:

Edited by jdoe

jdoe

This one just got away on eBay. Lost it with high bid of $550 (Winner got it at $560), second one I lose like this.

Snapshot_2011_04_26_22_43_19.png

Snapshot_2011_04_26_22_42_02.png

Snapshot_2011_04_26_22_40_16.png

Now this is why I think there is something here.

This brand basically started going wrong after they stopped producing in Switzerland in 1957, and went totally off the rails with the quartz and went all the way downscale.

But before '57 ....

Edited by jdoe

jdoe

No response from them lawyers yet. Just left a voicemail.

dave47

hey, Jdoe!

I have a Jules Jergensen Sea Rider that I've had for a year -- quartz. Works great, looks great, feels great & looks distinctive. No problems with it. Here are some pics of it: (dave)

BeaterWatches02-07-11026.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11027.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11028.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11029.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11032.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11034.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11035.jpg

BeaterWatches02-07-11036.jpg

Anyone know much about the quality of watches from Jules Jurgensen?

One that didn't survive the onslaught of Quartz I believe.

Baldrick

'Since 1740'.....yeah, right, a full 15 years prior to the oldest established watch manufacture Vacheron et Constantin :giggle:

JJ weren't big in any decade, they produced run of the mill fodder with nothing that distinguished them in any way, now they just produce tat, no intrinsic value that I can determine !

jdoe
'Since 1740'.....yeah, right, a full 15 years prior to the oldest established watch manufacture Vacheron et Constantin ;)

You mean VC, the second oldest manufacture I assume?

JJ weren't big in any decade, they produced run of the mill fodder with nothing that distinguished them in any way, now they just produce tat, no intrinsic value that I can determine !

Somewhat incorrect description, albeit fully correct for the last decades. However, their early work was top-notch, and highly collectible today (pocket watches)

Go ahead and buy one for a mere $12,000

Baldrick
You mean VC, the second oldest manufacture I assume?

Yes, I do mean Vacheron et Constantin, they are recognised in ALL horological circles as the world's oldest MANUFACTURE of WATCHES, if you're referring to Gallet et Cie, they were NOT a watch manufacturer until late in the establishment of the company, they were principally a 'clock' manufacturer ( you have to consider the etymology of the word 'klocke' ) and also 'trade-house' or 'Guild' ( e:g, The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths ) designations were not precise nor all encompassing, whilst Gallet et Cie might have been clock manufacturers, they are NOT recognised as the oldest WATCH manufacture, if historical consideration is to be given to ANY and EVERY clock-maker then John Harrison must surely have a much more prominent place than he presently occupies, not to mention the Greek and Egyptian 'water-clock' makers who preceded all.

Scarcity or rarity in a pocket watch doesn't make for innovation nor technical expertise, my assertion stands, Jules Jurgensen pieces were NOT de-facto must have pieces in any decade, they were, as were a large number of pieces by other small independent manufacture, high quality pieces, but those were mostly manufactured two centuries prior to the present.

They are credited with a small number of patents, with one principle innovation, applicable to pocket watches.

In the last century, they achieved nothing of notable concern, personal bias may confer upon them any status YOU may desire, but they are nor were BIG in any sense and YES they produced mostly fodder for the masses :)

As for the 1740 assertion, I quote:

The firm continued under family control until 1916 when David Golay a regleur for the house bought the firm. He in turn sold out to E. Heuer in Bienne in 1925. During this time someone felt that marking the dials Est. 1740 and the movements and Switzerland would add a prestigious aura to the watches. ( a marketing exercise, NOT a proven historical fact ) The quality, however, continued unchanged, the best! ( this is subjective and history doesn't record that they were in way superior to other manufacture at the time ). By this time total production was around 17,000. Sales/production of Jules Jurgensen watches between 1848 and 1878 seems to have been about 300 a year. In that period they were rated in the trade along with those of Charles Frodsham in London as extremely fine. *( as were a number of other clock and watchmakers examples ) When in 1876 The American Watch Company received it's excellent reviews in Philadelphia, sales started to decline. There are some watches that seem to have very low serial numbers for their style. I know that J. A. made watches for a time under his own name and probably his brother did the same before their father died in 1877. Both sons in turn returned to manage the family enterprise established by their father when a death in the family made it necessary.

Hardly notable nor more prestigious than most other 'fine' watchmakers, suffice to say that JJ will not be seated in the great hall of horological majesty of NOTABLES such as A L Breguet / Jean-Marc Vacheron / Jules Audemar Piguet / Thomas Tompion and many more !

jdoe

Observations @ Baldrick

1. You forgot the Chinese, but then again everybody does.

2. Harrison agree

3. Despite latest unfortunate development JJ still did some pretty good pieces at it's best, and has been around for a long time. (1740 or not)

However, you are entirely and completely correct in your assertion that it is a marketing exercise, indeed that is the main reason as to why people still buy Genuine watches. Or would you say Rolex is NOT a marketing exercise?

You are ofcourse aware that swiss watches today, basically boiles down to two big marketing firms? Swatch and Richemont

Edited by jdoe

Baldrick

@jdoe, I understand where ypu're coming from, on a personal basis I wouldn't say no to some of their fine pieces ( especially earlier works), and YES they have been around for a long time !

Of course, I'm not foolish enough to believe that MARKETING EXERCISES are a new phenomen, Mozart was a marketing exercise, as any 'commodity' 1740 or otherwise was, just that you have to define clearly and precisely the historicity of companies such as Mozart et Cie and JJ :D