GenTLe

How do I remove crystal from a Rolex Milgauss?

GenTLe

Hi, I've a plan in mind to fix the missing green sapphire of my Noob Milgauss like this (pic of Gen):

zs-111452s-Edit.jpg

But I'm not sure on how to approach the crystal removal and refit.

Mainly the question is: do I need to remove the bezel in order to push out (and then back in) the crystal?

Thanks in advance, GenTLe

Nikosaldente

Can't find a single thing on the web to help you out mate!

I'm sure you'll sort it out in the end!

Logixa

@GenTLeNo you dont have to remove the bezel. To remove and refit the crystal do the following:

1. remove bracelet, remove case back, remove crown and take out the movement.
2. put the case with the crystal in a crystal press and press the old crystal out (crystal facing the ground)
3. place the new crystal on top of the case and gasket, align the crown on 6 o clock. (crystal now facing up)
4. press fit the crystal
5. refit everything you took out.

If this doesnt work and you have to remove the bezel then try to put a shaving knife in between the bezel and case and wiggle the bezel off a bit until you can put one of those case back knifes in between. There is also a special tool to remove bezels that I've ordered but that wont come in until after several weeks or so.

GingerApple

Normally when people ask this sort of question, I suggest they ask Gentle.

Which admittedly would not be of much use on this occasion.

Logixa
12 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

:rofl: you should try something new. Ask Logixa :Devil:

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, Logixa said:

:rofl: you should try something new. Ask Logixa :Devil:

I asked Logixa, remember? The prick told me to fuck off.

Logixa

Yeah fuck off. But still ask me :rofl:

GenTLe
[mention=57251]GenTLe[/mention]No you dont have to remove the bezel. To remove and refit the crystal do the following:
1. remove bracelet, remove case back, remove crown and take out the movement.
2. put the case with the crystal in a crystal press and press the old crystal out (crystal facing the ground)
3. place the new crystal on top of the case and gasket, align the crown on 6 o clock. (crystal now facing up)
4. press fit the crystal
5. refit everything you took out.
If this doesnt work and you have to remove the bezel then try to put a shaving knife in between the bezel and case and wiggle the bezel off a bit until you can put one of those case back knifes in between. There is also a special tool to remove bezels that I've ordered but that wont come in until after several weeks or so.
Thanks mate. I also asked to a Rolex certified friend and he told me that depends on the case construction. If it is genlike the bezel should be removed, but I can try to push it out as from your instruction and see if it works or not and then decide :)
Lol, no, not familiar with cases like these :)

Glaude

Following @GingerBlubba advice, I'll request that you ask @GenTLe, GenTLe... :D 

GingerApple
57 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Following @GingerBlubba advice, I'll request that you ask @GenTLe, GenTLe... :D 

It wasn't that good a joke first time round.....

Glaude
41 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

If wasn't that good a joke first time round.....

It was an excellent joke ! 

Nikosaldente

Hey Alex, you may not have to remove the Crystal at all!

Apparently you can do an Acrylic Paint Mod on the Crystal edge.....!

Check this out:

GenTLe

Too late :D

I don't just want to mod the border. I also want to remove the green AR (with acid bath) and spray the dial side with a glass green paint (extra diluted) ;)9f0fe5f3a64853a57bb379c0379a7f68.jpg825b8c4262c0dea178b33288e0d2126f.jpg

Nikosaldente

I see that you did have to remove the Bezel after all.....

Good luck with the Crystal Mod!

TRANSPORTER

Another method for removing old crystals is to remove the movement and find a die that fits in the case, next get your movement cushion and place the case crystal down with the die in the case and give it a sharp tap with a staking set hammer or similar and the crystal just pops out, not broken one yet

Foxindebox
On 16/08/2018 at 19:12, GenTLe said:

I don't just want to mod the border. I also want to remove the green AR (with acid bath) and spray the dial side with a glass green paint (extra diluted) ;)9f0fe5f3a64853a57bb379c0379a7f68.jpg825b8c4262c0dea178b33288e0d2126f.jpg

I’d like to see some pictures of that if you don’t mind mate :)

GenTLe

Still on going. I'll had a problem with air compressor and I'm waiting the ABB engine starter to put it back on order.

black263
On 16/08/2018 at 19:12, GenTLe said:

So to remove the crystal you completely dismantled the movement, including removal of the mainspring from its case?  I think you've over-complicated it a little.:maggiesuck:

GenTLe

When I do things like these I always take the chance to also service the movement (this was not yet done) :)

J!m

I see you did it correctly in the end, but I wanted to chime in on the "press the crystal out from the back" method.

If you want to retain any sort of water resistance, the bezel has to come off and the crystal and gasket removed that way.

The crystal should be re-installed using a NEW gasket (plastic ring) EVERY TIME to preserve water resistance. If you pop it out the back, the gasket will be damaged and popping it back in will further damage it. Sort of like allowing a case back o-ring to go in twisted or caught in the threads. Not a good idea.

I felt it important to mention this for aspiring modders planning to just "pop it out" and then have problems...

GenTLe

Ok then, some news:

1) after 4 attempt to paint the crystal (unsuccessful) the compressor gave up. And I gave up too...

2) ordered a new ABB A9-30-10-80 engine starter to fix the compressor and fixed it (OT, but good progress as a compressor like that costs 450€,,,)

3) spoke with my Rolex certified friend and he suggested to get an aftermarket crystal, green, like the gen... Got it. Damn expensive crystal but VERY good: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172750435886 it also came with a new gasket but for whatever reason with that one the crystal was popping out too easily, so I decided I had to recycle the old one. Let's see what happens when I'll test the water resistance...

4) the gen gasket of the Milgauss is green, similar to this one:

Rolex_milguass_green_gasket_A__74166.1497030762.500.500.jpg?c=2

mine was white. So what to do? Green permanent marker and made it green

5) I also have mounted the gasket on the midcase and passed it a bit on extra fine sand paper, lowering it of 0,1mm (to a total thickness of 2.2mm from the original 2.3)

6) finally I did the case and bezel reassembly, and I'm happy of the result:

c0b7c6a4133ade7fce0ea3b55303f150.jpga60149cbe4edb015228a03522da42290.jpgf541a575d84b28bbf31b2454200afe3c.jpg1be5bdec0ca1dcaa6424e0bedecf4944.jpg

GenTLe

And 4.5 bar test PASSED! :)

Now let's wait a spare for the movement and it will be back together ticking happily!

Nikosaldente

Looks good Alex!

Can't wait to see the final result!

Well done!

Luxuracer

Great work .... Thanks for turning a question into a tutorial. :thumbsup:

Logixa

Good job  @GenTLe! Permanent marker or not, if it works it works!