mattcraiganon

IWC0269 - Big Pilot LPP SS/LE Blue - on a tiny wrist ;)

mattcraiganon

Ordered my first rep from Trusty in Mid July, pleased to say it arrived 2 weeks from handing over the money. Sadly I was away for the weekend it arrived, and did have a panic that I might miss it, but thankfully Royal Mail did their job and kept it safe at the Post Office 'til I returned. Picked it up today!

So, onwards and upwards with the review. In short: I love it! It is a beast, for sure. I ummed and arghed about getting it as I have a small wrist, but the more research I did the more I thought "fuck it".

Alas the results of fucking it:

87MPw04.jpg

First image after unboxing. Came well wrapped and unclasped like this. No markings, good protectors over metal and dial which were easy to remove.

JXfWxxR.jpg

Dial shot: beautiful AR coating. Centred date and a working power reserve indicator (accuracy to be tested over next week).

UfbWUP9.jpg

Reverse showing the LPP logo.

9r9NMr4.jpg

The strap is decent. A firm leather with a solid clasp, but I'm sure you could do better sourcing privately.

Xy3disZ.jpg

The crown is a real gem on this thing. It's so damn prominent! I love it. Photos don't do it justice!

Clyeg60.jpg

On my tiny wrist. I wasn't sure if I should get it or not for a while, but after lots of research decided to "fuck it" and get it anyway! Worth it. It looks better than this shot shows it, IMO.

lBJ4MvE.jpg

Cat approved.

Thoughts

I love this thing. For sure it's a huge watch, but it's SUPPOSED to be! It's grandiose, it stands out. You can wear it on the street and look good, or you can wear it as a dress watch and look good. It's good!

The strap is a bit under par, but when are they not? Can source better ones elsewhere if you want one.

Buying from TT was a dream; quick responses to all my queries. QA pics took about 2 days, not too bad.

Edited by MattKneale

Mr_B

Looks mint, if I get another IWC I think il opt for this one. Thanks for sharing. 

Glaude

I've never liked those straps with the two metal pins, but the watch is gorgeous ! Enjoy it !

greg_r

The Big Pilot is a real classic. Love 'em. Enjoy! :D

mattcraiganon
2 hours ago, Glaude said:

I've never liked those straps with the two metal pins, but the watch is gorgeous ! Enjoy it !

Hah yeah it's definitely on my to-replace list. No idea where to find a good strap though.

Glaude
17 minutes ago, MattKneale said:

Hah yeah it's definitely on my to-replace list. No idea where to find a good strap though.

We have some talented and trusted strap makers on board, or you can check https://ziczacleather.com/ they make good and cheap leather straps for IWC

mattcraiganon
4 hours ago, Glaude said:

We have some talented and trusted strap makers on board, or you can check https://ziczacleather.com/ they make good and cheap leather straps for IWC

I'll be honest I'm not great at knowing sizes! Any advice? :)

Glaude
25 minutes ago, MattKneale said:

I'll be honest I'm not great at knowing sizes! Any advice? :)

Size of what, the strap ? Just take a ruler and measure between the lugs ;) 

mattcraiganon
11 hours ago, Glaude said:

Size of what, the strap ? Just take a ruler and measure between the lugs ;) 

Hehe, thanks.

tonyh7

Seriously nice watch and very well repped too. Pretty handsome cat as well! 

mattcraiganon
14 hours ago, tonyh7 said:

Seriously nice watch and very well repped too. Pretty handsome cat as well! 

Why thank you! - from Milo

Jasonbaylee

Nice procurement

Mate whats your wrist?

"There are more than 1 road to Rome...."

mattcraiganon
7 hours ago, Jasonbaylee said:

Nice procurement

Mate whats your wrist?

Thanks buddy! Wrist circumference is 6.75 in"

repIWCone

I've been lusting after this piece myself but have held back due to a similarly small wrist size. Maybe I should take your approach! 

Gorgeous piece! 

Jasonbaylee

I only hv 6.5” and i think i can give this beauty a pass?

mattcraiganon
7 hours ago, repIWCone said:

I've been lusting after this piece myself but have held back due to a similarly small wrist size. Maybe I should take your approach! 

Gorgeous piece! 

If you're within half an inch of my wrist circumference I'd say go for it! It's a really nice timepiece :)

6 hours ago, Jasonbaylee said:

I only hv 6.5” and i think i can give this beauty a pass?

That's not much smaller. The dial would look fine. I would hope the next bolt down on the strap would fit you - if not, you could punch another hole in it yourself and make the thing fit! :)

repIWCone
1 hour ago, MattKneale said:

If you're within half an inch of my wrist circumference I'd say go for it! It's a really nice timepiece :)

That's not much smaller. The dial would look fine. I would hope the next bolt down on the strap would fit you - if not, you could punch another hole in it yourself and make the thing fit! :)

I might have to. My wrist is closer to 6.5in. I'm just worried about the lugs hanging over my wrist. Only one way to tell, I guess!

EBB

forget the watch, nice cat ! :D

nunu78

may i know the maker for this Beauty?

semperfi55
On 06/08/2018 at 12:51, MattKneale said:

but the more research I did the more I thought "fuck it".

:clap:That tends to happen to me a lot too! Similarly tiny wrists here so it is a challenge at times as I do fancy the IWC pilot watch aesthetic.  What is the case diameter of your beauty?

noobwatch76

I got the same problem, could you get a third party to take a shot from the side of you wearing it with your arm at your side. 

That would sound like a creepy ask if it were anywhere but here.

Nice watch!!

Jasonbaylee
I might have to. My wrist is closer to 6.5in. I'm just worried about the lugs hanging over my wrist. Only one way to tell, I guess!

Hanging lugs are my worries too. Haha

Cs1422

LPP is a great choice! would highly recommend a Miltat strap from strapcode. outrageously comfy.

mattcraiganon

Great, thanks! I'm looking into straps but I've never bought and fitted one. Literally no idea where to start (I'm not the smartest tool in the shed...)

On 13/08/2018 at 21:40, noobwatch76 said:

I got the same problem, could you get a third party to take a shot from the side of you wearing it with your arm at your side. 

That would sound like a creepy ask if it were anywhere but here.

Nice watch!!

If I remember later I'll do it on a timer :)

warmtone

Just discovered this thread and like others very impressed with the BP and your selection of colour.  Also considering buying from Trusty Time - I bought a Planet Ocean from them a few years ago and was very happy with the watch and the transaction.  I hope the watch is going well!

Edited by warmtone
spelling error